The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Barcelona havent finished below 6th since World War 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_La_Liga

I meant a similar one to that season really. LVG coming back a disaster and they only finished as high as 6th as they strung together three straight wins right at the end. Were still only 4 points above 9th in the end.

They also only finished 4th in 00/01 through that amazing last minute Rivaldo goal v Valencia. 4th in 01/02 aswell.

They were pretty average in the early 2000s until the signing of Ronaldinho changed the mentality although of course football was far more competitive than it is now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Chris gets a like for someone finally mentioning that Rivaldo goal

They were average pre Ronaldinho and incredibly average in Rijkaards final year

last season under Rijkaard they were awful but somehow were only a Scholes wondergoal away from a Champions League final which indicates was bad eggs in the squad. Ronaldinho was the main culprit and have heard he was becoming a bad influence on Messi thats main reason he was kicked out

In the list of great players over last 25 years think Rivaldo gets forgotten far too often. He was carrying Barca for a few years, not messi level but huge player for them in La Liga. Probably their lack of success at CL in that era counts against him being remembered. Was also key in Brazil winning 2002 world cup.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In the list of great players over last 25 years think Rivaldo gets forgotten far too often. He was carrying Barca for a few years, not messi level but huge player for them in La Liga. Probably their lack of success at CL in that era counts against him being remembered. Was also key in Brazil winning 2002 world cup.

Said it before, his antics in 2002 went against him and also his longevity since he pretty much went to the Greek league at 31, he is only 2 months older than Zidane and few more months older than Figo.

From 95-2002 he was incredible though and was probably the best outfield player in 2002 World Cup even though Ronaldo got all the plaudits

• 3 weeks later...

Did he bet on his on transfer? Weird one.

England international Kieran Trippier has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA’s betting rules.

The Atletico Madrid full-back has until May 18 to respond to the charge which is in relation to a breach which took place in the period of July 2019 - the same month he left Tottenham for the Spanish giants.

The FA said in a statement: "Kieran Trippier has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA's Betting Rules, specifically in relation to Rule E8(1)(a)(ii) and Rule E8(1)(b), during the period of July 2019."

The 30-year-old has strongly denied the alleged breaches. He wrote in a statement: "I have fully complied with the FA's investigation over the past several months on a voluntary basis and will continue to do so.

"I want to make it clear that while a professional footballer, I have at no stage placed any football related bets or received any financial benefit from others betting.

Clarifying those rules, the governing body said Rule E8(1)(a) states that "a participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on - (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters."

Rule E8(1)(b) in the FA's betting rules relates to "where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this Rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting."

• 1 month later...

Sevilla - Real Betis derby on Thursday when La Liga restarts.

It's usually one of the games of the season for me, absolutely electric atmosphere and lots of feeling on and off the pitch. This year it's just sad.

Been supporting Betis since the early 90's and this might be the last time to watch Joaquin (and Jesus Navas for Sevilla) but who cares. I don't anymore.

There's two games on the freesport channel on Freeview HD.

Espanyol-Alaves at 12pm Saturday and then Betis again playing on Monday against Granada.

I haven't see as much of Betis as previous years, has Fekir been a massive disappointment? Seems to have been injured a fair bit.

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Espanyol-Alaves at 12pm Saturday and then Betis again playing on Monday against Granada.

I haven't see as much of Betis as previous years, has Fekir been a massive disappointment? Seems to have been injured a fair bit.

Fekir has been their best player along with Canales IMO. He was unbelievable in both games against Barca (though sent off late in one of them), and very good in the win vs Real Madrid at Benito Villamarin. Hasn't always turned it on against the smaller teams but had a flurry of goals and assists pre-lockdown IIRC.

Fekir to Betis probably goes down as the weirdest transfer I've seen in the last 5 years (honourable mention for the opposite reason to Chelsea signing Drinkwater for £35m!). For less than £20m, every top club in Europe should have been in for him!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Betis' other high profile signings have been big disappointments though - namely Marc Bartra and William Carvalho, who were considered major coups at the time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Betis' other high profile signings have been big disappointments though - namely Marc Bartra and William Carvalho, who were considered major coups at the time. 

Think Bartra has been OK, but not close to the form he had during that half season in 17/18 where he was phenomenal.

Joaquin is still king thou.

The Real bench today, would probably finish pretty high in most league. So many good players who are left sitting on the bench.

Alphonse Areola
Eder Militao
Gareth Bale
Federico Valverde
James Rodriguez
Marco Asensio
Brahim Diaz
Isco
Ferland Mendy
Vinicius Junior
Diego Altube
Javier Hernandez

Good work from the security team who despite playing the game in a empty stadium managed to have some guy run in on the field to ask Jordi Alba for a selfie 🤦‍♂️

640@60.jpg

Edited by sne
Was in Mallorca not Barca.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Good work from the security team at Camp Nou who despite playing the game in a empty stadium managed to have some guy run in on the field to ask Jordi Alba for a selfie 🤦‍♂️

640@60.jpg

It was in Majorca but yeah, mad!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The plan to bring in a weak manager that the players could ignore and then blame if things are not working is having the expected effect at Barca.

Players have far too much power at that clubs and the president is an absolute rocket polisher.

Â