The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Barca's away form has been rubbish for years. All those hammerings they get in second legs of CL games and in La Liga in 2020 they've only drawn 2-2 at Espanyol who are bottom. lost 2-0 at Valencia, got dumped out of cup 1-0 at Bilbao, lost 2-0 at Real Madrid which is going to be very crucial and since restart had draws at Sevilla and Celta Vigo.

Right at the start under Valverde they lost at Granada and Levante.

They still have the aura at Camp Nou which means teams are defeated before they even kick off, think only points they've dropped in home game was 0-0 with Real Madrid but Messi simply can't dominate in away games anymore where a little more running is required and been that way for a few years.

As an aside Espanyol bottom and all but relegated. Was thinking they've always been in La Liga since I started watching it in late 90s. Looked up their history and was really surprised to see they've only been relegated four times since 1929 and they've been promoted straight back up each time.

Last went down in 94 I think. Since then Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Real Betis, Real Sociedad, Celta Vigo, Deportivo, Zaragoza and Villareal all been relegated, some more than once.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have been a major critic over the years but credit where its due. Karim Benzema has finally stepped up at Real Madrid to be the player he should have been 10 years ago

Lovely back heel assist yesterday.

What a player he could have been if he had even half of Ronaldos work ethic and application.

• Like 1

For obvious reasons I have been wanting to watch good football for a change so been watching some Real Madrid.  Agree Benzema has really impressed. They showed a heat map of the espanol game and his was like a solid red rectangle of the central third from the halfway line to the opposing penalty box. 

Also I know he divides opinion but Sergio Ramos has also impressed me. Oh and that Casemiro chap too :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Ramos has ice in his veins. He always comes up in the big moments for Real Madrid

123rd career goal which is also incredible for a centre back to go with his red card collection 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

The summer heat in Spain has started to take affect now. A few games over the weekend were moved to later kick offs because of it being too hot.

Sevilla had over 40°C yesterday.

• Thanks 1

Good for them! Hopefully more leagues will follow.

Betting companies will no longer be able to appear on football shirts of La Liga clubs from next season, impacting on eight top-flight Spanish clubs.

The details are outlined by a report in El Pais, with Spanish Minister of Consumer Affairs Alberto Garzón toughening up regulations on sponsorship from and exposure of betting companies.

Valencia, Alavés, Leganés, Granada, Mallorca, Sevilla, Osasuna and Levante are the eight clubs in La Liga whose main shirt sponsorship is a betting company.

It follows the approval of laws on Spain’s ‘Royal Decree on Advertising’ – a federal bill which permits a ‘four-hour advertising window (between 1-5am)’ for licensed gambling companies, but no exposure outside of that four-hour time slot.

Not only will the new decree ban any betting companies appearing on shirt sponsorship, but it will no longer be allowed to sponsor stadium names or any other aspect of the clubs.

The Ministry of Consumer Affairs has now updated its initial wording to establish that “sponsorship in sports jerseys or kits will not be admissible,” within Spain.

The state of alarm in Spain has prevented the Royal Decree from entering into law throughout this summer but the Ministry of Consumer Affairs are confident that when the bill passes through Brussels – as it is expected to – it will be in place for the start of the 2020/21 La Liga season.

https://www.football-espana.net/2020/07/09/betting-companies-banned-from-la-liga-shirt-sponsorship

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness its over his nose and mouth 😉

#400k/w and that's how you behave during a game :D 

Kinda see why a lot of Real fans hate him.

On 11/07/2020 at 22:08, sne said:

#400k/w and that's how you behave during a game :D 

Kinda see why a lot of Real fans hate him.

There’s a good article about him on BBC, you can see in a way where he is coming from  

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

There’s a good article about him on BBC, you can see in a way where he is coming from  

Is it from the golf course?

Pretty bizarre that the games on the final day of the season doesn't all start at the same time.

Know the title race is already over but it was the same in the seasons before with some teams being able to play already knowing the results in other games.

Baffling.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

After being screwed by the league, hopefully Leganes stay up

Hopefully all the Real Madrid players are hung over still.

Is Alexandr Mostovoi and Valeri Karpin still playing for Celta Vigo :D  If not I'll be OK with them going down.

The 2nd division in Spain has been pretty nuts. I've been concerned about Real Oviedo so I've been watching it a bit. They are safe now, but with one game to go, 12 points separates the last playoff spot and the last relegation spot.

34 minutes ago, Hornso said:

The 2nd division in Spain has been pretty nuts. I've been concerned about Real Oviedo so I've been watching it a bit. They are safe now, but with one game to go, 12 points separates the last playoff spot and the last relegation spot.

Didnt Oviedo get bought allegedly a few years back by one of the worlds richest men in Carlos Slim, if true he hasnt offered anything to them as not offered financially

I see from table Racing have been relegated but worse Deportivo are going down, I know they have struggled for a while but this is probably worse slump by any recent top team

Is Zidane legit?   His record is astonishing right now, three full seasons and two half seasons at Madrid and he's got three Champions Leagues and two Spanish titles.  For a long time I wondered how much he actually had to do with it because that squad is probably good enough to win stuff regardless of who is in charge, but then he leaves at Madrid shit the bed, he comes back and they win the league again.   If it took him twenty years to win that much he'd be seen as an extremely successful manager, he's pulled it off in 200 games. 

Â