Running

trimandson

On 25/03/2024 at 15:10, Paddywhack said:

I’ve been trying to get under 24mins at my home parkrun for a few years now. After 57 runs there, I got 23:11 on Saturday.

Then I did the Wolverhampton 10k yesterday and got 47:15, taking more than two minutes off my P.B. It’s a shame it started and finished at the molineux, but I was delighted this weekend.

Brilliant, well done, those are great times. I'm taking it a bit easy for the next week and a half, as that's when the half marathon is. I'm going to see a podiatrist on Friday about my foot. It's not painful but it's still not 'right'. After the half, I'm going to concentrate on 5K for a few weeks. Want to work at getting towards a sub 22:00.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Risso said:

Good luck mate, I’m sure it will be brilliant!

Did the London Landmarks half yesterday, first time me and my daughter Izzi have run that far. Weather was an annoying mix of bright sun and ferocious wind. Got round in 2:12. Would have liked closer to 2:00 but we were in a slow wave with a very packed start and the wind was brutal.

Thanks mate. Yeah I went out yesterday for a run and the wind, rain and sun was unpredictable can imagine it was a nightmare for a race day. 

I’m hoping for 4.5/5 hours for London but not putting any pressure on myself. I’m more concerned about the time my family will be waiting around for me 😂

I feel better going into this one than the last time as I struggled with my IT band massively whereas this time I’ve managed my load and my body a lot better. 

• Like 1

My Paris Marathon was a failure. Unfortunately I was ill but thought I was ok. Stomach wasn't good and basically none of the energy gels were being digested. 

Had felt good at halfway and then around 25k knew it was not going well. Went downhill after that. Had to stop and walk 4 times to complete it.

3h28m in the end quite a way off last year 3h18m 

Have decided to look at redemption in October with one of Marathons up north or possibly Dublin if I can find a way to get entry.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My Paris Marathon was a failure. Unfortunately I was ill but thought I was ok. Stomach wasn't good and basically none of the energy gels were being digested. 

Had felt good at halfway and then around 25k knew it was not going well. Went downhill after that. Had to stop and walk 4 times to complete it.

Have decided to look at redemption in October with one of Marathons up north or possibly Dublin if I can find a way to get entry.

I’m looking at Yorkshire after I came off the rails at Tokyo. I have London next week which hopefully if my body is okay (basically been broke since Tokyo) should be a nice day out and I might stop for a beer halfway round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I’d absolutely love to ‘fail’ that quickly!

10 hours ago, andyjsg said:

I’m looking at Yorkshire after I came off the rails at Tokyo. I have London next week which hopefully if my body is okay (basically been broke since Tokyo) should be a nice day out and I might stop for a beer halfway round.

Yorkshire was the one I was looking at on Oct 20th. Have a half Marathon on 11th May I'll be able to PB hopefully.

On 03/03/2024 at 18:09, andyjsg said:

Marathon Majors Completed ✔️ 

Actual race was a little bit of a mare, been struggling with a hamstring issue for last few weeks and have had days off and just doing light running during my taper. Anyway decided to ignore that and go out with a bang, which involve a 1:20:42 first half, followed by a 1:35:50 managed jog/stop stretch to pull a sub 3 out of my arse. Still finished with a smile, other than the discomfort I actually enjoyed and took in the last few miles and most importantly I got the 6 star medal I’ve been desperate for. Totally worth it, what a journey and now a couple of days in Kyoto before I go back to the wife and kids (who I miss very much - but you know 😂)

Massive effort to get a sub 3 with an injury. I hate when factors out of your control hamper the day you've trained for.

7 hours ago, Risso said:

I’d absolutely love to ‘fail’ that quickly!

Ah running is about adaptations, just stay consistent running and the times drop and fitness rises. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Ah running is about adaptations, just stay consistent running and the times drop and fitness rises. 

It is, but we all still have our own ceiling that no amount of training will take us beyond. I'll never run a sub-3 marathon however train. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

It is, but we all still have our own ceiling that no amount of training will take us beyond. I'll never run a sub-3 marathon however train. 

Without knowing how old you are and anything about injuries etc, I reckon you probably could, it'd just take an awful lot of hard work and your life might not be able to accommodate that, I know mine wouldn't. My aim is to get down to as close to a 20 minute 5K as I can. A few years ago, I was stuck around 28/29 minutes, but all I did was run 5Ks. Once I started trianing properly and constantly, the times really started coming down.

6 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I think all "average" or "below average" people in terms of genetics can run a sub 3 hour marathon if they train enough for it. The Aerobic capacity can be built upon year over year. 

Aerobic training is easy, as in your run at an easy pace where you can hold a conversation if you need to. Issue people have with it is boredom and setting aside time for it. In age of podcasts and audiobooks though it's less boring that it has been. 

It's the training at anerobic threshold and Vo2 max which is taxing. Like nobody enjoys hill sprints but they do the job.

Main reason to exercise is two fold, firstly your general health and the second is the quality of your health into older age. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

Maybe if I'd started serious training in my 20s instead of my 30s, I could have run sub-3. But I've been training consistently for 10 years, I do a good mix of speed work, endurance, cross training and recovery but I just don't have the top end speed needed for sub-3, and however I train now I'm past 40 my top speed is getting slower. I still love running and I'll keep going but any chance I had of sub-3 can be filed under 'what might have been'. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Maybe if I'd started serious training in my 20s instead of my 30s, I could have run sub-3. But I've been training consistently for 10 years, I do a good mix of speed work, endurance, cross training and recovery but I just don't have the top end speed needed for sub-3, and however I train now I'm past 40 my top speed is getting slower. I still love running and I'll keep going but any chance I had of sub-3 can be filed under 'what might have been'. 

My guess is you don't run the volume of easy runs needed to get your aerobic threshold to level needed. Hardest thing to learn by far about running is that you need to run 80%+ of it at an easy pace zone 2 and never leave that zone. 180 mins a week of easy running over a prolonged period of time continues to eek out faster and faster speeds at that level. 

The key to fast marathons is your aerobic capacity. Once you run to your HR and measure time over the distance instead of running a pace over a distance you can see the benefits. Easy running takes next to zero effort and you don't feel tired after it. 

I've wanted to improve my fitness for some time now but I always get exercise induced migraines with anything physically strenuous, it really puts me off.

I also get that really sharp pain when breathing in during cardiovascular exercise which I've read is caused by cold air restricting the airways as we start to breathe through our mouths rather than our noses. I usually end up gasping for air after five minutes lol.

Has anyone experience these things as well? 

Â