Running

trimandson

seen a couple of people doing that this weekend, seems like good fun. 

Had a more regular 10k race in cardiff today.Pissing down, only the 2nd one I've done but at least I lopped off a few minutes of my prior time. 56 mins 45 secs. Easily beatable with more running I reckon. Still always begin with heavy legs for the first 20 minutes so I guess I'm trying to find the right warm up, but it was good practice for the bigger half marathon next month. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Haven't run properly for a long time but trying to get back into it as my other sources of cardio (football and squash) have run dry recently.

Pressuring the OH to join ParkRun with me.

I'm obsessed with parkrun, I've only missed one since I started in May, I want to get in to the 100 club.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm obsessed with parkrun, I've only missed one since I started in May, I want to get in to the 100 club.

I'm hoping I'll get equally hooked.

I'm on a serious exercise drought. I've barely been back to the gym since I went on holiday in June!

Need a kickstart.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Haven't run properly for a long time but trying to get back into it as my other sources of cardio (football and squash) have run dry recently.

Pressuring the OH to join ParkRun with me.

*parkrun

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Like the above.

Have to correct people in my official capacity.

• Like 1

Horrible marathon over the weekend. Had a proper chesty cold going into it, stupidly ignored it and set out at goal pace regardless. Got to about mile 18/19 and could hardly breathe, throat closed up and I was getting light headed, it was a death march from there on in. Finished in 4:06 with a +40 split. I've had better days.

Being stubborn can be an asset in running, Sunday was one of those days where it wasn't. Lesson learned.

• Like 2

7 1/2 weeks until my NYC marathon, unfortunately I fell off my bike and damaged my ribs the weekend before last so currently the longest ive gone without any training for probably 6 years.

Hoping to get on the turbo trainer in the next few days and then basically gonna have to blag the marathon on little training.

• Like 1

joining the ill queue. 2 weeks out from my first half marathon, and I've been struggling to get rid of a cough. It's been 3 weeks since I did 9 miles - and I felt ok then - but today was supposed to be the final big push, made it to 5 miles then was just utterly empty. and once I stop to walk for a bit I can never regain momentum. Think my spells diminished, with another 1.5 miles then stop, half a mile, stop, then a couple of hundred metres before I just gave up. Gunked up, and disgustingly needing to spit, I guess I knew I wasn't in the best shape to give it a good go, but time isn't on my side. I did 7 miles in midweek and that was fine, but urgh. 

Now trying to calculate whether I should just do nothing for the next week to try and completely get rid of the cold, but risk still no big run practice before the big one, or trying to persevere and do multiple runs of 4-5 miles. I've been told trying to do 11-12 miles the week before the race is not advisable, but reckon I can get away with doing 2 x 6 mile runs next weekend? It has rather dialled down my expectations of an particular timing for the event. I'll be glad just to finish at this rate without walking

Play it by ear and see how you feel, but I can speak from experience that resting up and getting rid of the cold with have much more of an effect than any training you do between now and then, and running is just likely to make the cold last longer. 

• Like 1

On 11/09/2017 at 09:43, Stevo985 said:

I'm hoping I'll get equally hooked.

I'm on a serious exercise drought. I've barely been back to the gym since I went on holiday in June!

Need a kickstart.

Oh yes, i think you'll be hooked soon enough ! I've done just 11, am slow fat and crap (42 mins) but I already book half a shift off from work when I'm working the Fri night before. 

It's a great vibe and for a slouch potato non runner like me, it's perfect !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Play it by ear and see how you feel, but I can speak from experience that resting up and getting rid of the cold with have much more of an effect than any training you do between now and then, and running is just likely to make the cold last longer. 

Cheers, yes I am minded to do that. I think without training, in two weeks I would still feel comfortable doing 8/9 miles, so if it comes to it it's not too far to pull my body around a course I guess. This being a sponsored run makes it that more annoying, but never mind! 

It's still been a profitable year, as I've found a new hobby :thumb: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

joining the ill queue. 2 weeks out from my first half marathon, and I've been struggling to get rid of a cough. It's been 3 weeks since I did 9 miles - and I felt ok then - but today was supposed to be the final big push, made it to 5 miles then was just utterly empty. and once I stop to walk for a bit I can never regain momentum. Think my spells diminished, with another 1.5 miles then stop, half a mile, stop, then a couple of hundred metres before I just gave up. Gunked up, and disgustingly needing to spit, I guess I knew I wasn't in the best shape to give it a good go, but time isn't on my side. I did 7 miles in midweek and that was fine, but urgh. 

Now trying to calculate whether I should just do nothing for the next week to try and completely get rid of the cold, but risk still no big run practice before the big one, or trying to persevere and do multiple runs of 4-5 miles. I've been told trying to do 11-12 miles the week before the race is not advisable, but reckon I can get away with doing 2 x 6 mile runs next weekend? It has rather dialled down my expectations of an particular timing for the event. I'll be glad just to finish at this rate without walking

I wouldn't get pushing it mate if you have a cold. Just listen to your body and wait till it has cleared up. You aren't going to make any difference to your fitness levels in 2 weeks, in fact you should be taking it easy two weeks out. You'll be fine as I am sure you have developed a decent base fitness. You'll also find that being amongst other runners will pull you round a bit.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â