Running

trimandson

Easier to swim in a wet suit open water than swimming in a pool imho, I think pool swimming will help make you stronger before doing so open water swimming in early summer.

I've had a year off triathlon but might have another go at Weymouth next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Looking at the Dublin Half Ironman ...never swam in a wet suit or open water .... Would doing lengths in a pool be a waste of time as open water I'm told is a different animal ?

All swimming helps. It's a bit different in open water with sighting and leg buoyancy but you should definitely spend as much time in the pool as you e.g. 2k without stopping before you go open water.

• Like 1

Yeah ... swimming is gonna be fun .....went up to the pool after a hard day at work ....I found 250m a bit rough ...but probably dehydrated etc from work .......in other news .....that 50k has a cut off time of 5 hours .... should be fun .... considering my marathon time is like 4:16 :ph34r: 8 weeks to bring that time down so ....(I will remember to bring gels tho)

9 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Yeah ... swimming is gonna be fun .....went up to the pool after a hard day at work ....I found 250m a bit rough ...but probably dehydrated etc from work .......in other news .....that 50k has a cut off time of 5 hours .... should be fun .... considering my marathon time is like 4:16 :ph34r: 8 weeks to bring that time down so ....(I will remember to bring gels tho)

5 hours? That's pretty fast!

so after a 2 month break post debut half marathon , I did a couple of miles last week to get out again before winter set in and promptly developed a cold from which I am still recovering, but I am determined to start 2018 with something to focus on so I've signed up to 3 10k races, Cardiff Bay - did it last year, was nice and fat, and Newport and Barrybados Island two new places which will keep me focussed I hope. Not going to go through the anxiety of asking people for money this time so will probably skip the longer distances, to allow me to focus on the 10ks for a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been to the physio about the pain in my glutes .....still fecking hurts ....any way ...Dudes !!!! 

I write a really shit blog for work about .....running and stuff ...its basically just to give an impression we can do stuff and stuff ..... so if anyone is interested in giving it a read .. please do :D

Mv`s Blog

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Anyone had shin splints before? Been doin a bit of hill walking recently and it seems to have come on. Any tips to get rid? I know they say rest, but I don't even do that much. 

Not had full on shin splints but enough pain to say that I was on the way. Rolling and stretching my calf helped. I now use a tennis ball and roll it along the edge of my shin bone/muscle any time I get a bit of bother. Done before bed and it seems to clam things down for the next morning. It's really interesting how sore a pain free part of the body will surprisingly be when you I run the ball across it! Not sure if this helps but extra info I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not running at the moment because of a sprained ankle. I couldn't do the 10k in Baggeridge on Sunday I'd signed up for but I didn't mind too much when I saw the weather.

I'm planning on have a couple of 'running weekends' away this year. Perhaps Bristol in May - drive down early on the Saturday morning to catch a parkrun, spend the day wondering about the place, stop in a cheap hotel and get up the next day to do the Bristol 10k.

Just need to convince the other half to join me... :wacko:

On 15/12/2017 at 00:38, Delphouneso said:

Any October marathon suggestions? Failed to get in to Snowdonia. Again.

Eden project. Lovely.

May do it myself again this year. Stay over the night before and go to the pasta party.

Yup that’s the plan! Used to live down that way so it’s a race I’m familiar with, was hoping to run something different this year as Eden was also my back up last year when I didn’t get into Snowdonia. Last year however I ended up running it as moral support for my sister, so it’ll be quite nice to run my own race this year especially seen as I know quite a few of the St Austell guys so it might get quite competitive!

• Like 1

I've been building up to start running for months, but I'm finally ready now. I tried last year, but my heart weren't into it tbf. I'm going tonight once the kids are in bed, then again early in the morning. Quite looking forward to it, if I'm honest. 

Smashing the mileage @SteveMac nothing but respect for the before 5 am starts, I've been trying to keep my mileage under control (waaayy down on last year) so I could basically race every weekend in January to sort of race myself into form.

Doing SEAA XC Champs at Stanmer Park in Brighton tomorrow, wont be worrying anyone near the front but 15K in spikes is gonna be a killer for my poor calves.

Anyone else in Spring Marathon training other than Myself, Steve and Paul?

Â