Running

trimandson

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've been building up to start running for months, but I'm finally ready now. I tried last year, but my heart weren't into it tbf. I'm going tonight once the kids are in bed, then again early in the morning. Quite looking forward to it, if I'm honest. 

Careful, as starting too quickly ends in injury all too easily.

Try something like Tue/Thur/Sat, then if that feels ok and in Sun too, then a few weeks later add in Wed too. The eventual idea should be for the Sat run to be 1.5-2x as long as the rest and try build the other runs up slowly, i.e., 20mins each, then 25mins. Maybe you can start at 30-45mins depending on your fitness. Your fitness has 2 primary components (i) your cardio (ii) muscles/ligaments/joints etc. Even for those of us running for ages, we're always having one of these better than the other, so be careful not to run too much because breathing etc. feels easy, your body will still have to catch up.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Careful, as starting too quickly ends in injury all too easily.

Try something like Tue/Thur/Sat, then if that feels ok and in Sun too, then a few weeks later add in Wed too. The eventual idea should be for the Sat run to be 1.5-2x as long as the rest and try build the other runs up slowly, i.e., 20mins each, then 25mins. Maybe you can start at 30-45mins depending on your fitness. Your fitness has 2 primary components (i) your cardio (ii) muscles/ligaments/joints etc. Even for those of us running for ages, we're always having one of these better than the other, so be careful not to run too much because breathing etc. feels easy, your body will still have to catch up.

Good luck!

Yeah, I won't be going in the morning after running tonight. I'm quite pleased with tonight though. 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

7.51km , 34.38 .

im ***** :o

Is that you're first run in ages? If so you've done well going at under 7 and half min mile pace. No wonder you're f****d

Edited by markavfc40

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

That's pretty good. In fact you're probably overdoing it at this stage. 

You're probably right, but I over do everything I do ha. I started off too quick, and paid for it pretty quick in the run. 

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Is that you're first run in ages? If so you've done well going at under 7 and half min mile pace. No wonder your f****d

Last time I ran was about 12 month ago. The time before that was probably 17 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You're probably right, but I over do everything I do ha. I started off too quick, and paid for it pretty quick in the run. 

Rookie error. You'll just end up injured. Google some training programs, and build more slowly. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Last time I ran was about 12 month ago. The time before that was probably 17 years.

You have done unbelievably well then and must have good natural fitness or been doing some other form of cardio. Either way you certainly got a solid base to build off.

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You have done unbelievably well then and must have good natural fitness or been doing some other form of cardio. Either way you certainly got a solid base to build off.

Coming on top of years of cocaine abuse, I'd say it's risking a heart attack.  :(

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I've always been naturally fit, and have great stamina. For someone who's has really abused their body for 16 years or so, I'm pretty fit. At high school I was a brilliant runner, sprint and long distance. Hopefully I can get back into it. 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Coming on top of years of cocaine abuse, I'd say it's risking a heart attack.  :(

I hadn't realised. @Rugeley Villa like the others I'd certainly advise that you take it steady then mate and back off the pace so you aren't getting your heart rate right up and just build up slowly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep the speed low, build up the distance slowly - don't increase it by more than 10% a week. It's all about time on your feet. Once you've got your basic stamina sorted (running comfortably), you can start to alternate your long runs with some speed sessions. If you've got a local running club, consider joining them, you'll get plenty of advice, as well as good company. 

• Like 2

Just a quick one lads. I struggled to sleep like night. I didn't nod off until 1 which is very unlike me. Went up to bed about 10.45, but was wide awake, so I had some music on. Was this from the run I did? If so, will it be like that all the time, because I can't be having me wide awake in the week when I have work the next day. Might have to go in the mornings In the week instead. 

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just a quick one lads. I struggled to sleep like night. I didn't nod off until 1 which is very unlike me. Went up to bed about 10.45, but was wide awake, so I had some music on. Was this from the run I did? If so, will it be like that all the time, because I can't be having me wide awake in the week when I have work the next day. Might have to go in the mornings In the week instead. 

I wouldn't know but I'd assume the run should make you more tired really, I can't think why a run would keep you awake.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I wouldn't know but I'd assume the run should make you more tired really, I can't think why a run would keep you awake.

Releasing those good things(can't remember the name) that your body releases. I used to get it when I went the gym years ago. I'd come back about 8-9 and I'd be wide awake. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Releasing those good things(can't remember the name) that your body releases. I used to get it when I went the gym years ago. I'd come back about 8-9 and I'd be wide awake. 

Endorphins. 

Â