Running

trimandson

On 17/07/2017 at 16:11, Paddywhack said:

That is incredible, well done mate.

100k!? How are these distances possible, are you a killer whale?

100k is still at the shorter end of ultras, plenty of longer ones around!!

Just like @darrenm said, lots of VERY easy distance running, spending lots of time on feet and getting used to running on tired legs (back to back long runs) have worked for me. Also it's all in the head, there is nothing stopping you from carrying on after marathon distance, as that is just an arbitrary distance.The key though is fuelling, get that wrong and you'll have a very long day!

However I quite like the ultras as there is no time pressure (unless you are at the front of the field trying to win!) unlike a road marathon where I am chasing a PB and looking at mile splits etc. I just know I need to keep going from checkpoint to checkpoint until I finish.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveMac said:

100k is still at the shorter end of ultras, plenty of longer ones around!!

Just like @darrenm said, lots of VERY easy distance running, spending lots of time on feet and getting used to running on tired legs (back to back long runs) have worked for me. Also it's all in the head, there is nothing stopping you from carrying on after marathon distance, as that is just an arbitrary distance.The key though is fuelling, get that wrong and you'll have a very long day!

However I quite like the ultras as there is no time pressure (unless you are at the front of the field trying to win!) unlike a road marathon where I am chasing a PB and looking at mile splits etc. I just know I need to keep going from checkpoint to checkpoint until I finish.

You should have a go at the Marathon des Sables.  150 miles across the Sahara in 7 days.  A lad at work did it, says it was the best experience of his life.

http://marathondessables.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Due to running and **** up my leg, I need to find some form of cardio exercise for weightloss that I can do without running.

Rowing is a very good an often overlooked form of cardio.  (On a machine not an actual boat).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Due to running and **** up my leg, I need to find some form of cardio exercise for weightloss that I can do without running.

Swimming. No impact cardio. Can't beat it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Now that is how you run. Mo Farah what a legend. They tried pushing him tripling, outstripping him. Nothing. The man is immense

We'll never have anyone like him again. he should be appreciated a lot more. Redgrave got more adolation in a  minority sport. Farah is the best ever. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

We'll never have anyone like him again. he should be appreciated a lot more. Redgrave got more adolation in a  minority sport. Farah is the best ever. 

I think the Salazar links have put a tiny question mark over his head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

I think the Salazar links have put a tiny question mark over his head.

Always will but I heard from good authority that all athletes are micro-doping. Mo said he will never fail a drug test. Alan wells was more blatant. Linford Christie too

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Always will but I heard from good authority that all athletes are micro-doping. Mo said he will never fail a drug test. Alan wells was more blatant. Linford Christie too

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. They'll all at least be pushing the boundaries of what they're allowed to do. It doesn't take away from the dedication and ability it takes to get to that level in the first place, but it's just that nagging feeling when there's that clear link.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

and they will boo him at the podium and I know hes a drug cheat but I don't agree with the boos. serves them right!

'Serves them right'? You what? :huh:

Edit: If they boo him at the podium, won't that necessarily mean that he won't have 'certainly silenced the booers'?

Edited by snowychap

BBC showing a complete lack of class. We all know Gatlin has that chequered past, and I can 100% agree with the boos. But he is now registered as a clean athlete and that was a very good win for him. Yet all BBC show is Bolt. Ridiculous by them. Yes Bolt is a legend and should be rightly praised, but surely after a win the focus should be on the winner!

• Like 1

Â