Running

trimandson

22 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Plantar Fasciitis 16 months and counting. Got a referral for physio through my GP which should include ultrasound therapy, fingers crossed. Not run more than 5km in over a year now.

I feel for you, my dad's got that. I'd never heard of it before to be honest. We were supposed to be doing the Birmingham Marathon together next month but he hasn't managed to get in any runs since June, he gets a pain in his foot from just walking.

He's gutted about it, but only saw his GP a few days ago and is now booked in for an x-ray just to see if anything is broken.

I've been running at least twice a week since May/June and I think I've been so lucky with injuries, I haven't even had so much as a blister (hopefully I haven't just jinxed it).

39 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I feel for you, my dad's got that. I'd never heard of it before to be honest. We were supposed to be doing the Birmingham Marathon together next month but he hasn't managed to get in any runs since June, he gets a pain in his foot from just walking.

He's gutted about it, but only saw his GP a few days ago and is now booked in for an x-ray just to see if anything is broken.

I've been running at least twice a week since May/June and I think I've been so lucky with injuries, I haven't even had so much as a blister (hopefully I haven't just jinxed it).

If/when I finally get rid of this I'm determined to do my first marathon, feel like I'm currently disabled at the moment. But I did start cycling in the summer and that has been a nice distraction when the weather is good. But its a right faff having to get the bike out, get all the gear on and go out for several hours when before it was 60mins running was all I needed to stop turning into a fat slob.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

So did my first and probably last adventure race last weekend over in donegal 16k run 2k kayak 24k bike all uphill, 4 k mountain climb 2 up 2 down (the peak was  750m so fairly straight up) finish with 18k bike (6k offroad)  and a 500m beach run.

all summer training for it went to shite, chest infection after a virus the week before had me going into the race on antiboitics and nearly a stone lighter due to sickness, add to that a storm that was forecast for later on in the day arriving just in-time for the start so gale force 8 winds all route.

Had stomach cramps 10k into the run then barfed everywhere 31k in to the race cold sweats light head ...twas lovely ....text the wife and told her I quit not gonna finish, rang the steward and told them im 31k in ready for pickup....Then the phone screen saver came up of the kids and I just sat there and managed to talk my way back on the bike with some shit of "how can you ever tell your kids to try there hardest and give everything when your about to DNF a race" got to the checkpoint at the mountain and got a quick checkup my the ambulance crew on site they said its your choice if you go up or not but they advise against it ...so of course got the second wind at that stage and said **** it i'm nearly home .......oh **** .......I have never had leg cramps like it pure pain all the way to the top ...every muscle on fire .......

Anyway I wont go on ..I managed to finish the race .....**** ....and now a marathon in 4 weeks .........Why .....how .....:bang:

Hero. And idiot. But mainly hero. 

Well played, sir. :hooray:

I help to organise a running event in Bromsgrove called the Bumble Bimble.

It's all around well hidden trails, fields, woods, mud, hills, it's got everything. All money goes directly to charity.

I don't get anything because it will fill up anyway because numbers are limited but I thought some of you lot being local might like to do it and get in before it's sold out.

http://www.bumblebimble.run

On 10/2/2017 at 22:04, darrenm said:

I help to organise a running event in Bromsgrove called the Bumble Bimble.

It's all around well hidden trails, fields, woods, mud, hills, it's got everything. All money goes directly to charity.

I don't get anything because it will fill up anyway because numbers are limited but I thought some of you lot being local might like to do it and get in before it's sold out.

http://www.bumblebimble.run

I like the look of this but I'm skint moment. If there's still places left towards the end of this month I'll sign up.

So the Birmingham Marathon is only 10 days away and I'm terrified. I feel like I've put enough runs in, running 2-3 times a week since May, but I don't think I've put enough distance runs in. I ran 12 miles last night at the pace I think I'll be able to maintain for the full marathon (11:00-11:30 min miles) and by the end of it I felt absolutely fine...from the waist up. My legs were like jelly.

So now I'm worried that I really haven't put enough distance in my legs. I was wearing running trainers that I only bought a month ago though, so I'm hoping it was also down to that and I can just wear my old ones on the day.

But it's my first marathon, I'm not worried about my time and if I have to walk for a large part of it then so be it. I'm getting that medal somehow!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I like the look of this but I'm skint moment. If there's still places left towards the end of this month I'll sign up.

So the Birmingham Marathon is only 10 days away and I'm terrified. I feel like I've put enough runs in, running 2-3 times a week since May, but I don't think I've put enough distance runs in. I ran 12 miles last night at the pace I think I'll be able to maintain for the full marathon (11:00-11:30 min miles) and by the end of it I felt absolutely fine...from the waist up. My legs were like jelly.

So now I'm worried that I really haven't put enough distance in my legs. I was wearing running trainers that I only bought a month ago though, so I'm hoping it was also down to that and I can just wear my old ones on the day.

But it's my first marathon, I'm not worried about my time and if I have to walk for a large part of it then so be it. I'm getting that medal somehow!

I'll not sugar coat this. You'll be a mess. After running for years and doing 2 or 3 20 mile runs before it I still broke down at 20 miles into London. Not 'the wall' or anything like that, just muscle fatigue.

Yes, one way or the other you'll get to the finish. But it will take a long time and after a certain time even walking will hurt. As long as you're prepared for that all is good. So there's nothing to be terrified about if you know what it will be like.

For that long on your feet, make sure you're fuelling properly. Make sure you're happy to have gels and drinks of whatever brand they're using at the event.

Finally, if your old trainers have more than 400 miles in them, don't use them. If your new ones don't fit, don't use them. You can absolutely get some brand new good quality trainers e.g. high end Asics that will not need any wearing in and will protect you right away. Others may disagree with my reasoning here but it's never let me down.

But above all, have a fantastic day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

You won't be the only one.

btw, buy some gels and try them out beforehand to be sure they won't upset your stomach (1 every 5-7 miles). The difference in the experience when one hits the wall at mile 22 vs just being wrecked at mile 22 is a big one, and a few extra calories will make the world of difference. Drink a little at every hydration station too, a mouthful should do the trick.

Regardless of what you do it'll hurt some, but in a good way and the feeling after is worth it. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Every time I have a period away from my running club and then go back, my stupid pride invariably drags me into competition with some new young gunslinger who fancies himself to show the old feller a clean pair of heels. The really good ones don't do it, just the blowhards, so I usually - to quote Bruce Springsteen - Shut 'Em Up And Shut 'Em Down. Racing in the Streets, indeed. This could easily go into the 'cheer you up' thread (for obvious reasons), or the 'piss you off' (because it's getting harder to do every year, and more likely to incur injuries). Old man's ego. 

You want to take it easy at your age ;)

I am looking for a bit of reassurance. I have just been offered and taken a place in the Birmingham marathon on Sunday. A friend of a friend has dropped out.

I have been a regular (ish) runner for the last 4 years usually running between 25 and 40 miles a week running between 9 and 12 miles a run. Last four weeks though I have only done two 9 mile runs the last one tonight which I did in 78 mins and felt fine after. That was before I was offered the marathon place.

I have done one marathon previously in Manchester in 2016 which took me 4 hours 13 mins after doing the first 20 miles in 2 hours 50 and then getting crippling cramp in both legs for the last 6 miles which was a real struggle.

How realistic is it that I can do a marathon off the back of very little targeted training? The guy I am running with just completed his 300th marathon in Bournemouth on Sunday and is confident he can get me round by starting off at 10 min miles and then gradually getting worse hoping to come in around 5 hours.

How old are you? When I was 30 I did a 3:40 marathon on no (and I do mean NO) training. I couldn't do it now, it hurt like hell, and I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're willing to suffer... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am looking for a bit of reassurance. I have just been offered and taken a place in the Birmingham marathon on Sunday. A friend of a friend has dropped out.

I have been a regular (ish) runner for the last 4 years usually running between 25 and 40 miles a week running between 9 and 12 miles a run. Last four weeks though I have only done two 9 mile runs the last one tonight which I did in 78 mins and felt fine after. That was before I was offered the marathon place.

I have done one marathon previously in Manchester in 2016 which took me 4 hours 13 mins after doing the first 20 miles in 2 hours 50 and then getting crippling cramp in both legs for the last 6 miles which was a real struggle.

How realistic is it that I can do a marathon off the back of very little targeted training? The guy I am running with just completed his 300th marathon in Bournemouth on Sunday and is confident he can get me round by starting off at 10 min miles and then gradually getting worse hoping to come in around 5 hours.

Well I've been specifically training for this marathon for four months, but I think I've done less training than you! :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Well I've been specifically training for this marathon for four months, but I think I've done less training than you! :lol:

Ha ha I am not sure that was the reassurance I was after mate :)

I am just going to take it steady. The only other one I have done I thought I was in shape for but the last 6 miles crucified me and it was all I could do to finish. I was running that one for charity though and loads of people knew I was doing it. As this is last minute I have told next to no one so have no pressure. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing as to how much pain I'll be willing to go through as I had no plans at all, up until last night, to do another marathon.

Good luck on Sunday by the way @Paddywhack and anyone else running Brum, including me now :wacko:

Edited by markavfc40
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

How old are you? When I was 30 I did a 3:40 marathon on no (and I do mean NO) training. I couldn't do it now, it hurt like hell, and I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're willing to suffer... 

I am 43 mate. I know the hurt like hell feeling from my one and only previous marathon.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am 43 mate. I know the hurt like hell feeling from my one and only previous marathon.

It'll hurt like hell again, but it'll be an experience and to some extent isn't that what life is all about. Go for it!

and, if by some miracle (:ph34r:) you are able to notice those around you past mile 20, you'll find plenty in exactly the same boat. We're a crazy bunch us Humans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

It'll hurt like hell again, but it'll be an experience and to some extent isn't that what life is all about. Go for it!

and, if by some miracle (:ph34r:) you are able to notice those around you past mile 20, you'll find plenty in exactly the same boat. We're a crazy bunch us Humans.

I think me asking for some reassurance has fallen on death ears but thanks for being honest I guess  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â