Running

trimandson

since moving house, I am trying to explore local routes to run as part of the Cardiff Half training. It all seems to be quite hilly. Did 6 miles of a hilly run this morning and it knackered me a bit, not used to it.  I suppose it will make the course seem easier - but are there downsides to running in a different style? Should I get particular shoes for climbing / flat? ( I still haven't got running shoes yet, really should I suppose ) 

On 09/07/2017 at 11:15, Rodders said:

since moving house, I am trying to explore local routes to run as part of the Cardiff Half training. It all seems to be quite hilly. Did 6 miles of a hilly run this morning and it knackered me a bit, not used to it.  I suppose it will make the course seem easier - but are there downsides to running in a different style? Should I get particular shoes for climbing / flat? ( I still haven't got running shoes yet, really should I suppose ) 

I would advise Running Shoes as much as it will help stop injury and for hills its more about body position (lean forward a tiny bit) and drive the arms.

Edited by andyjsg
edit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Doing a Wolf run in September with work. Never done one before. Any hints?

I know won't be running it all as don't have the fitness, but hopefully be good fun.

Trail shoes, save your ankles

• Like 1

I ran a half marathon last night on a whim. On the last mile I realised I was on for a P.B so I picked up my pace a little.

This is difficult to explain, but on the last half mile, the vision in my left eye starting going slightly blurry, bouncing about as I ran and I could see 'waves' in the bottom left hand corner of my eye. It was fine when I stopped (but I noticed that I'd had my first ever bleeding nipple, it looked like I'd been shot).

I'd carried a litre of water round with me which I'd finished, but I was craving an ice cold diet coke when I got home. About 30 minutes later I couldn't eat my dinner, I was shaking, I had a massive headache and I was throwing up coke. It felt like a bad hangover.

I've never had anything like that before, do you think it was just because I hadn't drank enough water and stupidly had coke?

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I ran a half marathon last night on a whim. On the last mile I realised I was on for a P.B so I picked up my pace a little.

This is difficult to explain, but on the last half mile, the vision in my left eye starting going slightly blurry, bouncing about as I ran and I could see 'waves' in the bottom left hand corner of my eye. It was fine when I stopped (but I noticed that I'd had my first ever bleeding nipple, it looked like I'd been shot).

I'd carried a litre of water round with me which I'd finished, but I was craving an ice cold diet coke when I got home. About 30 minutes later I couldn't eat my dinner, I was shaking, I had a massive headache and I was throwing up coke. It felt like a bad hangover.

I've never had anything like that before, do you think it was just because I hadn't drank enough water and stupidly had coke?

You have probably just pushed yourself a bit too hard mate and I wouldn’t be too concerned. A combination of dehydration, taking on something fizzy and really going for it.

As for the bleeding nipples been there and got the t shirt loads of times. I put plasters on mine, assuming I don’t forget, but can guarantee if on say a 10-12 mile run by the time I get home they will have come off (the plasters that is not my nipples). I have ripped them to pieces many times and got in the shower and been in agony. They do toughen up over time though if that is any consolation.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You have probably just pushed yourself a bit too hard mate and I wouldn’t be too concerned. A combination of dehydration, taking on something fizzy and really going for it.

As for the bleeding nipples been there and got the t shirt loads of times.  I put plasters on mine, assuming I don’t forget, but can guarantee if on say a 10-12 mile run by the time I get home they will have come off (the plasters that is not my nipples). I have ripped them to pieces many times and got in the shower and been in agony. They do toughen up over time though if that is any consolation.

I am an idiot when it comes to what I eat and drink, I'd had two cornish pasties with a can of coke a few hours before the run as well, I'm guessing that didn't help either.

I'm glad I hadn't noticed the bleeding during the run because I think I'd have freaked out and stopped, I'm wimp when it comes to blood. I just can't believe I couldn't feel it, but yeah, I certainly did when I went in the shower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I am an idiot when it comes to what I eat and drink, I'd had two cornish pasties with a can of coke a few hours before the run as well, I'm guessing that didn't help either.

I'm glad I hadn't noticed the bleeding during the run because I think I'd have freaked out and stopped, I'm wimp when it comes to blood. I just can't believe I couldn't feel it, but yeah, I certainly did when I went in the shower.

My boiler was broke so only had cold water to have a shower. So I decided to go for an extra quick run, get myself very hot and then have a cold shower to make it bearable.

Felt a bit weird downstairs during the run. Kinda needed to wee but didn't.

Got home and tried to urinate but thick red gloops came out. Had to go to the emergency GP but it gradually went clear again.

They sent me for an X-Ray, MRI, ultrasound and unbeknownst to me at the time, a cystoscopy.

They didn't find anything and it was most likely a thing called bladder slap where if you empty your bladder too soon before a run, the interior walls can rub together and bleed.

Shit happens when pushing your body :)

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

My boiler was broke so only had cold water to have a shower. So I decided to go for an extra quick run, get myself very hot and then have a cold shower to make it bearable.

Felt a bit weird downstairs during the run. Kinda needed to wee but didn't.

Got home and tried to urinate but thick red gloops came out. Had to go to the emergency GP but it gradually went clear again.

They sent me for an X-Ray, MRI, ultrasound and unbeknownst to me at the time, a cystoscopy.

They didn't find anything and it was most likely a thing called bladder slap where if you empty your bladder too soon before a run, the interior walls can rub together and bleed.

Shit happens when pushing your body :)

I was eating today's cornish pasty when reading that and I nearly threw up again.

Oh man, that's enough to put me off moving, let alone running.

peeing blood no... nevermind thick goops of the stuff!!!

but being in a state after a race or a long summer training run, all the time and it's almost never the same. Normally back in one piece within 30mins to an hour or two. Dehydration does strange things to the body.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 10:38, darrenm said:

I remember a couple of years ago meeting someone I hadn't seen for years after the end of this run. I'd just run 2.10 and I asked him what he did and he said 1.35. I thought I'd never be able to get there but continual running you just keep getting faster without realising it. I normally would be closer to 1.30 if I'm running right and someone like @SteveMac and @andyjsg will be closer to 1.20 / 1.25.

It's the same for everyone! I remember thinking I'd never run sub 1:30 for a half as that was just too fast, but yeah you just improve and get faster.

Haven't posted for a while, but still been running (obvs!!). Did Endure 24 as part of a team of 4 in June, used it as a training run and did 5 laps (25 miles) on Saturday afternoon in the heat and another 3 laps (15 miles) on Sunday in the dark and rain!! A great event though, would defo recommend.

I ran Basignstoke Parkrun a few weeks back, it was boiling even at 9am. Set off at PB pace, but heat made it tough, so backed off and planned to use it as a tough training run but somehow managed to equal my PB, if I would have known I'd have pushed a bit harder to knock a few seconds off!!

Running a 50k ultra this weekend as a training run, but hoping to beat last years time.

I actually need to do the Birmingham Black Country Half one year too, it sounds like a good race!

I still can't believe how quickly the Birmingham marathon is coming around!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

I still can't believe how quickly the Birmingham marathon is coming around!!!

I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to do it, I think I'll be walking it the last 10 miles.

Edited by Paddywhack

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to do it, I think I'll be walking it the last 10 miles.

So what, you won't be alone and if you've given what you've got then you've had a good day. Beer will taste better after if you suffer more too :D 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2017 at 10:41, Paddywhack said:

Even if you walk the last 10 miles, you'll still finish. Think positively. There is still plenty of time to build the mileage up though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

Did my 50k this weekend.....52 minute PB...BOOM! 5:06:09, thought a sub 5 was on the cards at one point, but was over the moon with that as was hoping for a sub 5:45!! Was a nice confidence boost ahead of the 100k!! One last big mileage week and then I get to taper.

That is incredible, well done mate.

100k!? How are these distances possible, are you a killer whale?

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

That is incredible, well done mate.

100k!? How are these distances possible, are you a killer whale?

Lots of distance training

Take it very slow, all aerobic

Fuel correctly

I couldn't do it. My head demons would get the better of me

Â