Running

trimandson

...and now one of Farah's old training partners busted for EPO. He's so unfortunate that his late career bloom has been so unfortunately associated with so many known drug cheats. So unfortunate.

"Old footage has emerged of Sir Mo Farah training alone with a pacemaker, who was once caught buying the drug EPO, in the Kenyan Highlands."

http://honestsport.com/2017/08/11/revealed-sir-mo-farahs-training-partner-filmed-buying-epo-kenya/

5 weeks out from my first half marathon. Just broken 9 miles  in 90 minutes so feeling good about the extra few miles in the legs, at the moment I'm just focusing on getting there non stop so not too concerned with pace, though sub 2:10 would be nice for an average of under 10 minutes / mile. I'm feeling positive as most of my training is in hilly areas, I can't find much flat stuff, so the course should feel nicer in theory!

Nipples were bloody sore though, didn't feel too far off the bleeding mentioned by @Paddywhack and @markavfc40.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

5 weeks out from my first half marathon. Just broken 9 miles  in 90 minutes so feeling good about the extra few miles in the legs, at the moment I'm just focusing on getting there non stop so not too concerned with pace, though sub 2:10 would be nice for an average of under 10 minutes / mile. I'm feeling positive as most of my training is in hilly areas, I can't find much flat stuff, so the course should feel nicer in theory!

Nipples were bloody sore though, didn't feel too far off the bleeding mentioned by @Paddywhack and @markavfc40.  

Vaseline before you run. And don't wear cotton. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yep, vaseline has sorted me out, although I still feel a bit funny when I'm rubbing it in.

You still running @mjmooney?

39 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I have been using extra sticky plasters for the last few weeks and they have really done the trick. I wear the wicking running tops but vaseline doesn’t seem to do the trick for me on anything over about an 8 mile run. I am a real sweater though which doesn’t help.

On a semi positive note you will find your nipples will toughen up a bit after being ripped to shreds a few times :)

Well done by the way you have made really good progress and you will get the benefit of running a really hilly route when you run on the flat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

You still running @mjmooney?

Yeah, but it's all a bit stop-start atm. I had a series of niggly injuries, and then used the 'too busy and tired from looking after a two year old' excuse to become lazy. Last few weeks though, I've been getting back into it. Feeling better for it, too. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

100k (well 63 miles) done and dusted in 12 hours 22 minutes.

Had low points around 28 miles and 47 miles where things got tough and I did think I might have to pull out at the next checkpoint at 33 miles when I hit 28 miles. But kept going and got tot he finish eventually. Was on for a sub 12 hour finish for part of the race, but slowed down too much in the second half.

Now to recover and try to be ready for Birmingham marathon, although not sure what time I'll target there yet!

Hellfire, you're mad. Well done though!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

Had low points around 28 miles and 47 miles where things got tough and I did think I might have to pull out at the next checkpoint at 33 miles when I hit 28 miles. But kept going and got tot he finish eventually. Was on for a sub 12 hour finish for part of the race, but slowed down too much in the second half.

Now to recover and try to be ready for Birmingham marathon, although not sure what time I'll target there yet!

Do you do it because you can't afford a car? 

There are faster ways to get to Stoke. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveMac said:

That is absolutely incredible, well done.

I've just realised, I signed up to run 100 miles in July but only managed 58 (still got the medal though..:mellow:) and you beat that in just over 12 hours. It took me one month to do 58 miles...and you did 63 miles in 12 hours.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1

Incredible effort Steve well done mate. Which 100k was it? Got my first ultra in December, only 33mi though! Got a marathon to get through before that as well so I've not even started thinking about training yet, any tips for when I do? Back to back long runs galore?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Incredible effort Steve well done mate. Which 100k was it? Got my first ultra in December, only 33mi though! Got a marathon to get through before that as well so I've not even started thinking about training yet, any tips for when I do? Back to back long runs galore?

Thanks. It was SVP (Stour Valley Path), really nice route. Good luck with the ultra, which one are you doing? "Only" 33 miles said like only an ultra runner can :D Marathon training will get you through 33 miles imo. However if you can train on the terrain you'll encounter on the route that is much better. Also get used to taking on fuel during your runs and maybe taking walking breaks, which I then use to fuel, but finding out what works for you in regards to fuel is key.

I like back to back long runs, so maybe 20m Saturday and 10m Sunday, but it's not necessary and people complete ultras without doing that, but I know it works for me. The key is to find what is right for you so you reach the start line fit and healthy and ready to run. No point doing back to back long runs if you get injured.

Also just learn to slow down....it's all about the finish rather than pace in an ultra.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve, that's somewhat reassuring. It's the Coastal Trail Series Dorset, it's a revenge run of sorts after having to cancel my entry last year due to work. It's mostly the ~6000ft of climbing that concerns me, I do most of my running on hilly trails anyway and average about 3000ft a week, and I'm hoping to get down to the coastal path for a couple of training runs between now and then, but it's still a daunting amount of climbing in one go.

The fueling is definitely something I need to work on as well, I don't seem to have the strongest stomach. 

• 3 weeks later...
Â