202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

haters always gonna hate...

please explain your thought process

Did you even watch the game? The deflected goal took the ball in front of him, but his piss weak hands couldnt keep it out

We just can’t play with two in the middle. McGinn and Luiz leave so many holes and space for the opposition. It’s killing us.

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

At 2-2 we should have gone on to win it, the bailey and diaby link up was on shame it took us so long to find, game could have gone either way 

Long hard season and it's showing, beat Brighton all but secure top 4 then go full strength 

Still think we can win but it'll take something special 

Think we would have done if the ref didn't want them to win. That penalty call would never have been given at the other end of the pitch. Whether you feel it was a penalty or not,  Villa would not have got they penalty off this ref. That killed us.

My view was his arm was already there before the ball even reached the opposition. It was protecting his face as he jumped and turned and then momentum carried it to where it was. Totally natural and no movement towards the ball that then hit him at point blank range. Arguably stupid by Luiz and he should have been braver and allowed his pretty face to get a ball in it, but not a penalty.

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

First goal was goes past olsens hand by about an inch - Emi saves it. 

Second goal rolls unde olsens body

The deflected goal went in because olsen didnt have a strong enough hand. 

He's a huge part of why we lost. 

Brighton will score st least twice if olsen plays

There's a big difference between saying "Olsen made mistakes that a competent GK wouldn't make" and "Olsen failed to make heroic saves that the best GK in the world might have made."

Maybe, maybe Emi would have saved the 2nd and 4th. Most GKs would not have. You can't expect your backup to be Emi-level. Even if we could afford two Emis, a second one wouldn't want to be a backup.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Really concerning that Luiz and McGinn have both lost form together. 

Their pairing doesn't work, the McGinn-Tielemans pairing does. Tielemans-Luiz wasn't so hot either, but we did okay with it (draw at West Ham, win over Wolves at home).

The key is probably that Tielemans isn't there to provide defensive stability in midfield, and neither McGinn nor Luiz can do that job worth a shit. I've not paid enough attention, but if one of them (probably Luiz) has been the one tasked to hold back, that job needs to switch, NOW. If they've both tried the job and it's not working, well, you better go find Mr. Miyagi to work on Tieleman's leg.

Edited by 479Villan

19 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

That’s the attitude!

If it was 1 goal difference I wouldn't say that but long-term 4th is the priority now

Ref was shit, VAR was shit, but most importantly we were shit and only have ourselves to blame. Unai was a master in Europe with his other clubs, but I honestly haven’t seen us play well in most games we’ve played in this competition. We struggled through the group games playing at a walking pace, were totally outplayed by Lille over 2 legs, and then tonight. The defence should be ashamed, they’re not up against Mbappe and Vinicius, they’re up against a guy who struggled to get in the Wolves team and a striker who has never even played in a top league. I think we had enough chances to at least take a draw back there if not a win, but our awful defence and goalkeeper let us down as well as Luiz who was the worst player on the pitch for us after Olsen and is really starting to piss me off with these performances. His penalty was awful.

Think that’s us done in this competition I’m afraid, it was nice while it lasted but to go another year without a trophy is so damn frustrating. We simply have to get 4th now as that looks like the only thing we’ve got to play for. The one good thing tonight is at least spurs lost but it doesn’t make up for the disappointment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Luiz has been brilliant before his sending off so chill the **** out guys, if anything likes of Digne, Lenglet and mcGinn were as bad if not worse 

He wasn’t. He’s been poor for a few months. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Absolutely gutted with that. Conceding 4 goals at home in a European semi is absolutely unacceptable. Literally everything went wrong for us.

1- Disallowed goal at the start. Soft.

2- Penalty shout. Defender got a touch on the ball, which put the ball onto Bailey's path and gives him an advantage, then fouls him. Pen for me.

3- Penalty conceded. Was a pen tbf.

4- Deflected goal. Shit.

5- Penalty miss. Luiz had an absolute shocker of a game and had a chance to redeem himself. Literally never misses and finally does so in the biggest game in the season so far.

So much to do in the second leg. Atmosphere is going to be extremely hostile and I just don't see us winning by 3 goals. 2 goals to draw the tie and send it to pens would be a miracle. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Did you even watch the game? The deflected goal took the ball in front of him, but his piss weak hands couldnt keep it out

yes, i watched the game...he was diving the way the ball was going and managed to get a hand on it.

we lost 4.2....it's all Olsens fault

• Haha 1

Just now, TomC said:

There's a big difference between saying "Olsen made mistakes that a competent GK wouldn't make" and "Olsen failed to make heroic saves that the best GK in the world might have made."

Maybe, maybe Emi would have saved the 2nd and 4th. Most GKs would not have. You can't expect your backup to be Emi-level. Even if we could afford two Emis, a second one wouldn't want to be a backup.

Heroic??? 

If olsen gets his palm behind that 4th goal instead of his thumb, he saves it. A championship level keeper saves it

Had a nice night out with friends, just looked at the score

5tQ3.gif

Cheers Villa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, MrBlack said:

Think we would have done if the ref didn't want them to win. That penalty call would never have been given at the other end of the pitch. Whether you feel it was a penalty or not,  Villa would not have got they penalty off this ref. That killed us.

My view was his arm was already there before the ball even reached the opposition. It was protecting his face as he jumped and turned and then momentum carried it to where it was. Totally natural and no movement towards the ball that then hit him at point blank range. Arguably stupid by Luiz and he should have been braver and allowed his pretty face to get a ball in it, but not a penalty.

Nah that's a pen, protecting the face isn't a thing anymore, neither is the point blank range, his arm can't be there, it was daft from Luiz 

There were a couple of niggly things in the game, some cards missed, some time wasting, didn't control our penalty quickly enough and was weirdly aggressive the whole game but the only decision he got badly wrong was the bailey penalty not being given 

• Like 1

We're still only 7/2 to win the tournament after that game. Shows that we're surely in with a decent enough chance of getting through the second leg. 

Was a bad night but the Chelsea win over Spurs is massive for the club. 

Sunday is huge day. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He dived the other way to stop the shot, it was deflected. Didn't you see it? 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

At what point are we going to have a serious discussion about the amount of goals we concede. This can’t go on. 

I would hope that it is something seriously addressed during the summer

Â