Match Thread: UECLQF: Lille v Villa

limpid

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

9 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

OK, time for a reset. Cash off Carlos on. Emery need to get into them, that performance was not good enough.

Cash has been fine. I don’t think he will take him off, as if we are chasing the game and need a goal later, we will need someone who can attack from right back.

Edited by GeordieVillan

Just now, NorthernGordon said:

I heard the ref has just red carded the tea lady for putting the milk in first. 

To be fair I’d red card her for doing that 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

What an absolute anti climax. **** shit. Really poor to a player. Why are we constantly **** about at the back?! We have shown absolutely no attacking intent. 

We are trying to get in behind their press.  It’s been a hallmark of the team since Unai took over as manager.  As the half progressed it became more obvious what their triggers have been (a lot of it has been one man running at whoever has the ball for us then two running at whoever passes to while a fourth guy stays spare) and I guess the theory is that if we do get in then we’ve taken half their outfield out of the game.  It’s not working brilliantly, we’ve been pushed right back so there’s still a lot to do even if the passing is accurate.  

I think Unai will sort this out and we win this leg 2-1.   need more movement off the ball and need to pass more quickly with pace.  everything else will come.

we have not been frantic or scrambling trying to keep up with their intensity.  we have been very controlled.  Now it's time to crank up the pressure.  We'll be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernGordon said:

First sensible call from him this evening, then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernGordon said:

Red card offence in all fairness

• Haha 2

Just now, R.Bear said:

Let me put it this way. If an away tie against Lille intimidates us, we have no business being in the Champions League.

I don’t think it has intimidated us, Emery always tries to kill the atmosphere first half and then more expansive second half in away games in Europe.  Our passing has been poor and their goal was sublime but they haven’t done much else, just we haven’t done anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know what it is about Cash but he somehow slows down our play more than Konsa at RB. Ruins the whole flow.

That's because he gets the ball and starts going forward, but as soon as the opposition look at him he turns back, he does it every time, never wants to push the ball past the fullback and run, every team knows how he plays so don't have to worry about him attacking the full back , it amazes me that he was a winger previously.

It looks like we turned up for a nil nil, of we don't wake up and up the tempo we're going out sadly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Let me put it this way. If an away tie against Lille intimidates us, we have no business being in the Champions League.

Haven't Lille been a semi-regular Champions League team?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Time stands still when Konsa and Cash pass to each other and point all half. Its a dangerous tactic playing at this speed, if they get the second we’ll find it hard to flick the switch and just go on the front foot.

Fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

But the only way it won't intimidate us is by getting top level European experience 

We have to play these games to get better in these games 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The only way this ends without a red is if the referee trips and hits his head at half time or someone steals his cards.

Hope it ain't Gazza. The ref will get up and book him.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

They’re a decent side but I think we’re giving them far too much respect.

Too slow and imprecise in our passing. All the teams that have caused us problems this year are aggressive. 

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Exactly this. Lille ain’t nothing . If we go through wait until we play Olympiakos or Fenerbache at their place , that’s what you call hostile. 

• Like 1