Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Match Polls  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/04/24 at 22:59

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

At this point I don't even think it's coaching. Seems to be more mental than anything else.

Well, the organisation and will to shut out, seems iffy to me.

Much of the talk, implies its a one off.....and it's not....and how can we be sure it's not going to happen again....we can't.

Copping goals from crosses been a major problem this year aswell as the sloppiness in goals we concede never has been addressed 49 goals conceded not good at all.

• Like 1

Wise comments above as normal from Mr TRO.....

We do seem very prone to other teams refusing to lie down when we are winning and fighting back. This has always been a "Villa thing" from the decades that I have been following the  Villa. Yet it seems to be happening more frequently now. Opposition now know that we can be "got at"...

Two idiotic things from the game, all 3 goals came down from their left hand side and were identical and Dougie should have been subbed well before the final 2 minutes to prevent the ref from giving that yellow card.

People keep saying we will learn from this, well so far I don't see a lot of evidence that we are. Scoring goals is difficult but we need to be able to see games out by having a defence that makes it more difficult for the opposition to score against us.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Please feel free to explain why

Happy to.

They bought their ticket. They have invested money, time and energy in supporting the club. 

I didn't go, but could have. Chose not to. What sort of supporter does that make me? I'm even worse than them in your eyes as I gave substantially less effort, invested no money in our club and spent my time doing other things.

The ticket was theirs. The seat was theirs. They can arrive, leave, sing, be silent whenever they want. 

Explained.

• Like 1

Just watching the game back there was a massive mings shaped hole in that defence. 

That game highlights how much he has been missed as I don't see them scoring any of those with him playing

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TomC said:

Just got back to London after our Villa Park pilgrimage. (Unfortunately, we have to catch a flight back to the States tomorrow morning). A few impressions from the pilgrimage and today's match...

It was disappointing and frustrating to watch Villa throw away a lead like that in our first match at VP. That said, if it had to be a draw, I'm glad we saw a barnburner (pardon the Americanism; it means an intense, closely contested game where the result is in doubt until the end) rather than a dull 0-0 draw.

The Holte End in full voice was a sound to behold. Too bad there wasn't more of it.

You can blame my football-neophyte wife for the loss. She confessed on the way back to the hotel that she didn't know that Brentford were the Bees and wore socks with bees on them to the match. I doubt that anybody noticed, but if they did, they had to wonder why someone was wearing a Villa shirt with bee socks.

I gave MOTM to Rogers. He was on my short list at halftime and his goal sealed it. Even before the goal he was showing skill with the ball and put in some defensive work. This is the first time I've seen what the club sees in him.

McGinn and Watkins were also good today. Doug had a good first half, not so much the second.

Konsa is not a RB. Priority in the summer has to be finding either proper cover for, or an upgrade to, Cash.

Right before Brentford's first goal, I asked my son what Digne was doing on the right side. A few seconds later, the ball was at the opposite post where he should have been, and then in the net. I will be curious to watch the playback to see if Digne had an excuse for being there, and if so, to see who should have been covering for him on the left.

Diego and Pau don't seem to communicate well.

Football is so much better to watch in person.

The whole family liked Brum. I'm sure it has its problems like any city, but as tourists, we really enjoyed our four days there. I'll write more about it later.

UTV

That was a great read. So sorry for you that you saw such a clueless performance on your pilgrimage.

Glad you liked Birmingham. You don’t by any chance have a spare $billion or two to help the city become solvent again? 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Just watching the game back there was a massive mings shaped hole in that defence. 

That game highlights how much he has been missed as I don't see them scoring any of those with him playing

Our weaker defencive displays all have come since Kamara got injured that is where we need to sign a player and cover for Cash.

As for yesterday I will take the point as a positive as frustrating as losing 2 is that would have been 3 for most of my life so improvement of sorts!

Rogers filling the Ramsey sized hole is a massive plus just needs to work on his fitness.

Watkins immense again hopefully gets the magic 20 league goals in a season for first time since Peter Withe 1981.

Roll on Lille.

• Like 1

What a strange game.

If it was a movie, it would definitely have been The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. (and this just refers to the defence.)

Up until the witching hour, Diego Carlos was probably having his best game in a Villa shirt. None of the 3 centre backs had a game they will look back on fondly. Konsa did have a good chance to redeem himself at the end but his header went badly awry.  

The lads did shake off the lethargy and fight back to equalise and then threaten a winner. It is a another point to the total and they will all help us keep clear of the chasing pack. A lot now riding on England getting 5 places for the Champions Leagues.

Dust our selves down and we go again on Thursday night. UTV

The first goal was a fluke shot. However, the huge gap Ezri left for the cross to make it 3-2 is simply not good enough. There's blame across our defensive yesterday, but we will bounce back and learn from it.

Brentford are consistently bad away from home, so this should have been a simple 3 points, the fact we threw 2 points away is worrying 

We play like that in the champions League (if we get it) we'll get pumped every game 

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul33 said:

At last we've been punished for the ridiculous playing of one of the country's best centre halfs at right back ...... hopefully this may give Unai a kick up the ass. Every team starts with Konsa at cente-half without exception ...... move others around but to play Konsa out of position is plain stupid and it cost us today big time !

And who plays right back then? Zaniolo, McGinn, Chambers?

16 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Gutted we couldn’t hang on for a win and that wouldn’t have been flattering for us.

Dunno about that - we dominated much of the game, I don't think the draw flatters you though in fairness, you alway carried a threat on the break and took advantage of our second half tea break well.

Dreadful referee we were attacking with players over and Jensen gets wiped out and he blows for half time one of the many poor decisions for both sides all game.

That half time decision was very odd - I mean it's probably technically correct I guess, but nobody does that, it's just not how the game is refereed, I'd have been livid if it had gone the other way. The ref got worse as the game went on and he allowed you an awful lot of leeway at set pieces in terms of grabbing hold of players. 

I'm reading on here we parked the bus 😃we had as many shots on target as Villa and always looked dangerous going forward.

Well, you kinda did - we spent most of the first half and a good chunk of the second half camped around the edge of your box trying to find a way through ten (really well organised) men - it's credit to you that you defended so well and restricted that territorial and possession dominance to so few efforts on goal. We defended you well on the break in the first half, but not in the second and you always carried a threat, but you definitely did 'park the bus' I think - the plan was to keep ten men in and around your box to frustrate us and hit us with pace on the break in quick transitions knowing that we'd commit men forward and our centre halves aren't particularly quick - a good plan and you did a pretty decent job of it.

Beumo scored the goal of the game.

Other than Rogers excellent take,, touch and hit and Watkins towering header maybe - a nice little poke out of a foot from behind a sleepy centre half does not a classic make.

Anyways, I thought overall Brentford looked bright, sharp, organised and difficult to beat - your number eight, Jensen, stood out for me - he looked particularly capable.

See you next season!

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Dunno about that - we dominated much of the game, I don't think the draw flatters you though in fairness, you alway carried a threat on the break and took advantage of our second half tea break well.

That half time decision was very odd - I mean it's probably technically correct I guess, but nobody does that, it's just not how the game is refereed, I'd have been livid if it had gone the other way. The ref got worse as the game went on and he allowed you an awful lot of leeway at set pieces in terms of grabbing hold of players. 

Well, you kinda did - we spent most of the first half and a good chunk of the second half camped around the edge of your box trying to find a way through ten (really well organised) men - it's credit to you that you defended so well and restricted that territorial and possession dominance to so few efforts on goal. We defended you well on the break in the first half, but not in the second and you always carried a threat, but you definitely did 'park the bus' I think - the plan was to keep ten men in and around your box to frustrate us and hit us with pace on the break in quick transitions knowing that we'd commit men forward and our centre halves aren't particularly quick - a good plan and you did a pretty decent job of it.

Other than Rogers excellent take,, touch and hit and Watkins towering header maybe - a nice little poke out of a foot from behind a sleepy centre half does not a classic make.

Anyways, I thought overall Brentford looked bright, sharp, organised and difficult to beat - your number eight, Jensen, stood out for me - he looked particularly capable.

See you next season!

You both forgot to mention what a whiney bunch of biatches Brentford are, how the useless turd of a ref did not get his cards out with seven Brentford players in his face, only he will know.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Much of the talk, implies its a one off.....and it's not....and how can we be sure it's not going to happen again....we can't.

Yes what is glaring is our lack of physicality. Most players are well down on duels won, which I guess is not a totally accurate stat, but when yiu see it happen week in week out its a problem area. We are very good with the ball but not so good without it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onmeedson said:

Brentford came with a game plan and doubled up on bailey because the whole world knows he will cut inside every time. He has to learn to go past players on his right and cut a ball in to mix his game up, once they had our main attacking threat in hand they grew in confidence. The slow approach by us with the ball  takes away the amount of attacks we launch in a game and then we are up against a full defence who have the advantage of numbers back in a formation. We have to mix our game up now and then or the opposition can plan to nullify it. We do suffer from a rabbits in the headlights when the opposition go all out with guns blazing.  Leadership qualities are lacking in most of our senior players.

Well tbh we did break down the defence so in reality this shouldn't have been a problem.  I agree getting ahead against Brentford is usually the hard part.  The issue yesterday was that we didn't see the game out when we got ahead.

In fairness Bailey created the 3rd goal and at least one other chance from crossing with his right.