Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Match Polls  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/04/24 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Barring a meltdown for English clubs in Europe, 5th makes the Champions League. The only country that can stop this is France which makes the Lille game absolutely critical to secure that 5th place qualification.

Two birds.

50 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Could have should have is not good enough when your cruising at 2 nil up against a team struggling no excuses to many lapses this year in defence cost us you can bet on it in every game sloppy  goals never has been rectified. A bit of pressure on us we go mentally weake to.

Oh, absolutely agree. As I’ve said earlier in the thread (or in the match thread? Whichever) we have a real complacency issue. Cruising against sides and then just suddenly go missing and let them back in - Forest, Burnley, Luton, Man Utd and now Brentford off the top of my head. It’s a real problem.

BUT… it also doesn’t mean we can’t finish 4th. Spurs still have to win their games. People are acting as if we’ve just blown a title chance or something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yes but also a big missed opportunity. You can't just ignore or dismiss that because of where we are.

But hey, we're Aston Villa. Undisputed champions of missing big opportunities.

We're not the only club who have missed opportunities. All clubs have them, it's who has the least that counts. If we end the season in 5th, then that's where we'll deserve to be, regardless of excuses. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, allani said:

Our goal difference this season is +17.  Our goal difference last season was +5.  Yes our defending for those 10 minutes this afternoon was poor.  But how many times have we played our Best 4 defenders this season?  (The answer is 0).

We miss Mings but if we think him coming back from a serious ACL at 31 years old is going to fix the defensive issues we've had then we are very naive.

Other than Mings that was probably our best defensive four out there. You could argue Moreno/Digne and maybe Cash would start if fit instead of Carlos, but it's debatable.

Ultimately it's an area that drastically needs looking at as it's cost us in many games this season.

21 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Barring a meltdown for English clubs in Europe, 5th makes the Champions League. The only country that can stop this is France which makes the Lille game absolutely critical to secure that 5th place qualification.

France? France have no chance. It’s between England and Germany. The two all English German ties are huge. 

Pau Torres defending today was some of the worst I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. Beyond pathetic. Having said that, Konsa was also utter dogshit. It's unnecessary losses like this, that'll surely make the difference in the end. Hopefully we see an instant reaction next game.

Rogers sublime move and finish a positive. Watkins masterclass once again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

All things considered, it couldn't have gone much worse. I mean it could have gone one point worse, but draws are pretty much useless at this stage, especially at home. 

I'd say you've got a point if we didn't get a point,  but we did get a point so you don't have a point. Just thought I'd point that out.

Really frustrated by us not winning but at least we got a point which is the same as Man U and Brighton managed against them recently.

Well played to Watkins who proved again what a key player he is for us.

To me we have to get Konsa back in the centre of defence as the balance of the team is not right when he is playing right back. Hopefully Cash will be back soon so we can do just that. 

TBH - can't see us finishing 4th but 5th should still be on. Need to beat Bournemouth and win one of the other games. UTV!

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yes but also a big missed opportunity. You can't just ignore or dismiss that because of where we are.

But hey, we're Aston Villa. Undisputed champions of missing big opportunities.

I dunno. I think Arsenal and Totty are still ahead of us in that category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Softest booking for Luiz. Thanks you shit ref that had no control, let everything go against us in the first half then called everything for them in the second.

Absolute awful game, should never concede three. 4th still ours to lose but why do we have to make it so fecking hard for ourselves.

Infuriating when Ajer did much worse and got no booking. There’s no consistency at all. 

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Arsenal

Arsenal? The third most decorated club in the country?  

Highlight for me was Ollie brace, Rogers first of many hopefully and Nathan Baker being pulled up by a steward while sneaking in with a pint in upper trinity, did make me laugh.

Everything else was shite, let's hope we haven't just let Spuds back in again.

• Haha 1