Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Match Polls  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/04/24 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we avoided the loss in the end, but that is a very poor result, especially from 2-0 up.

One of our players admitted that we tend to relax too much when we're 2 up and it's something we need to work on (I think it was Ollie post-Forest, I might be wrong). It seems that nothing has changed. Completely switched off for their first goal and then we lost all control and our heads totally dropped. It's so bloody infuriating as we had a great chance to solidify our position. We absolutely need to be beating teams like this at home when we have a healthy lead.

But what is causing this? Is it the lack of leadership in the team? Fatigue? Their heads just went but we all knew exactly what as coming. So predictable and utterly disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Playing konsa at RB and not in the center next. To pay is costing us. 9 minutes of madness 

Pretty much the above. Since Emery moved Konsa to RB Villa have been conceding too many goals.

For me has weakened both the centre and right of defence. Villa get no benefit at all with Konsa at RB.

Actually could be the decision that costs Villa that fourth place? Here’s an idea. Play your best players available in their best positions!

Villa have a very weak mentality. Shown it all season when needing to win yet still find themselves in fourth although dropping two points from two up really opens the door for Spurs who now have two games in hand.

Konsa simply has to be returned to CB to partner either Torres or Carlos.

I’d also consider dropping one of the wingers for an extra midfielder to make it harder for teams to play through Villa!

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I think psychologically the ten-minute collapse is going to weigh far heavier than the equaliser. 

Never said it wouldn't, my point was that the psychological effect of losing that game would've been significantly worse than what ended up happening, even if we'll still take a hit overall.

Old Villa would’ve  lost that… there’ll be a few more twists and turns before the season ends… it would be nice to put media wankfest over Manure to bed…

Spurs may yet still do a Spurs

Totally dominated that first half (should have wrapped it up perhaps) and their first goal was ugly AF and flukey as hell… but why do we have these lapses and let teams back into games? Unai must address it somehow…

Just relieved we did ’t lose with the way this went but we really have to start learning and improving… fast.

Feels like a loss. That collapse was inexplicable. Gutted. Luiz getting booked to top it off is as Villa as it gets. 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They aren’t though. They’re a point and every point is big at this stage.

Spurs could lose to Forest tomorrow and they’d be 3 points behind us still rather than 2. 

We only have three home games remaining, only one of them against a side that isn't in the 'big 6' who have already beaten us this season. Can't afford not to win the winnable games. 

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Nice to  see Toney losing his head after the game. Every cloud.

He’d probably lumped on at 2-3

• Haha 1

Dunno why I'm so gutted and surprised every time. Every single time this season we've had a chance to push on we've bottled it.

Sheff Utd when we could have went top, forest not long after, united at 2-0 and now today to name but a few.

There's obviously some kind of lack of mental strength or disipline in the squad and it seems we just can't deal with the pressure. Its something Emery et al really need to address. Doesn't matter how well we train if we fold like a cheap suit every time there's a challenge. 

Edited by NorthEastVillan
  • Like 1

Spurs now just 3 points behind with two games in hand and a better GD. And they finish with Sheff Utd and Burnley :( 

Fifth place looking likely.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm waiting for the "5 years ago we were drawing away at millwall" posts that always come randomly to justify a horrific result

And that bloke from Sunderland on loan was up front (or wherever we got him from).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The ref should be sectioned.

But that's no excuse for blowing a 2 goal lead at home against a mediocre side with the stakes as high as they are. 

Lucky to score a third, but the players switched off AGAIN in the last few minutes. 

Not bothered by Luiz suspension vs Arse, he needs a rest and we'll probably lose. 

I'm actually glad he took that yellow. 

Watkins MOTM

Quick feet and nice goal by Rogers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

The collective attitude of our fans is clearly counter-productive when we concede a goal yes. It becomes home disadvantage, which indeed massively contributes to these scenarios.

It's pretty obvious really.

That's crowd psychology for you. You get what you deserve.

11 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Go and have a good cry about it and hopefully you'll get a grip afterwards

Nice try.

Can we bring Mings back in a back three and have him just walk around and organise.

Really miss his organisation, booming vocals to keep his teammates on their toes in the business end of the season.

Miss him right now for his tenacity as well.

• Like 1

It was the defence that let us down again and still lots of people think signing attackers this summer instead of defenders is the answer. Obviously no holding midfielder isn't helping either. 

Theit goals were so easy, they really didn't have to do much to score them. There is a real weakness here defending and if we want to progress as a club it needs fixing.

Suppose the only positive today is we didn't lose but a draw at home to Brentford isn't enough, likely to finish 5th now and we just have to hope that's enough for Champions League. Knowing our luck it won't be.

That's 8 points from the last 6 games now, our form is really declining at the worst possible time.

2 minutes ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Spurs now just 3 points behind with two games in hand and a better GD. And they finish with Sheff Utd and Burnley :( 

Fifth place looking likely.

I'd take it right now if offered. Still a remarkable season... but oh what might have been if not for these collapses.

Â