Is our future as bright as we think it is?

Leeroy

10 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

If things fall off a cliff and we get knocked out of Europe and end up in 5th.... This'll still be the best season we've had in decades.

Get a grip! 

Absolutely

But the way people will look at it is we have been in top four most the season and have had chances to go higher but always faltered.

If we have climbed into 5th more people will say what a great season BUT dropping to 5th may see it as a bit of a failure.

Mixed comments on here some ...each one has it merit...look where we were a few ago...yes.....but look where we are now....football is quick things change...we take the opportunity when it comes...its here now...4th is here...yes we have injuries but we need to rally....maybe play a bit old school...do the dirty bits and sneak a few one nils.

Teams in and around us will look to improve we need to be one of them...we will have a better chance in champs league and europe....with Unai being the attraction.

I get the doom on here as well as the lets enjoy it.....me im slightly more to the doom as this is great opportunity...one we might not see again...we have to be strong...and not throw away the past 12 months work.....we have to take it!!!!!

UTV

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

The road to success, for us, is long and winding, not an autobahn. But its still leading there.

Every time this team has hit some rough waters, Unai has found calmer seas. So shall it be again.
The Spurs result was a kick in the knickers. Just as galling as giving a shit United team 6 points. But it is what it is. We go on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

*Indictment 

It may only be one game but Emery's style was supposed to be a blueprint for how we play football. Ange never changes his principles, neither does Arteta or Guardiola, or Klopp, or de Zerbi. They try to play football every game. I thought that is what Emery wanted to do too, but yesterday was like Bruce ball. 

Emery is still the best manager we have had in 30 years but it's astounding that he starts playing long ball football against a direct rival. I understand adaptation but we paid Tottenham too much respect, they aren't that good, and it was counterproductive because we lost 4-0 and were already 2-0 down with 11 v 11. I'm actually less angry about the result (as bad as it was) and more angry about the long balls, long throws, and agrarian style of football we played. It was like watching an Allardyce team. 

We looked exhausted after Thursdays game. Long season, and a load of injuries as well. He can't rotate or freshen up the squad. Spurs were way fresher and better than us in every department. Simple as.

Most clubs are in the same boat as far as increasing revenue and managing FSR/FFR goes.  I suppose at least we have someone with a track record of high achievement in that area even if he is an absolute arsehole of a human being, as alleged, and as he sometimes appears. 

Since the turn of the year though I have had a couple of concerns about the current regime that have tempered my optimism a little.

One is that Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs, even Man Yew away and Luton away in the second half,  have all shown that if you press us high and mark everyone else to prevent a longer out ball, we inevitably buckle.   Emery doesn't seem to have an answer to this, and the more other coaches and teams see it happen, the more they will cotton on to it and apply it.   In contrast Forest, Sheffield Untied and Man Yew and Luton first halves let us play our game and we were able to play through them and create loads of chances.  In 2024, every team that's applied it from the start has beaten us comfortably,  United overturned a two goal deficit in 45 minutes, and Luton almost did the same.   

Second it dawned on me yesterday that Monchi has not yet really sourced many signings who can be considered a success so far.   Torres has been great of course, but I think Unai was always going back for him regardless of Monchi,.  Tielemans  has been good in patches, poor in others, but was a know quantity rather than needing to be identified by Monchi.   Diaby and Zaniolo do seem to have been identified by Monchi and both have been massive disappointments, the former a very expensive one.  Jury still out on Rogers, and the two young full backs of course.  Don't know if I've missed someone  but so far there's little to suggest we have secured the game changing recruitment guru we hoped we'd be getting.  

Add to the disappointment of the stadium expansion being shelved and our results taking a dip then I don't see our future shining quite so brightly as I did a few months ago.  But still a million times brighter than just a couple of years ago,  

Last time we had a big loss people were worried that CHelsea would overtake us so this is a step in the right direction to be fair

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

On early returns, Monchi gets about a B-. Pretty sure Tielemans wasn't his idea, but Tielemans is about a B- anyway.

So that leaves Diaby, Torres and Zaniolo. 

Tielemans was woeful yesterday. Even given McGinn's moment of stupidity, Luiz being off-form/tired, and Iroegbunam's anonymity after he came on, I'd be tempted to say he was our worst midfielder and a total waste of space.

I'd say Monchi gets a C or C-. Torres is great, the rest have not been hits. There is time and room for that to change, but you can only judge what's before you.

Well horror show on Sunday aside, we have to take into account that we were missing Kamara who is such an important player in these games against the teams around us. We do much better against the Man U's & Spurs of this World when he is playing and we've missed him badly over the last 5 home games. We are now paying the price for the current disjointed nature of the team with Mcginn having to come back to cover Kamara's absence, Ramsey missing too, which we have coped with before but when coupled with the loss of McGinn in a more attacking role also leaves us lacking creativity. For me this is why Emery erred on the cautious side knowing we were missing the vital pieces of our usual transitional play. Spurs are in a much better shape now with Maddison, Porro & co all back (Typically against us). Ok they were missing Richarlason but hey ho. We are basically a disjointed squad right now with players out of position, injured or regaining form after long layoffs. That coupled with having played on Thursday in Amsterdam & coming up against a fresh Spurs side  made us look a very jaded outfit on Sunday. Add into that the slightly questionable sending off of McGinn too which warped the result somewhat.

I can forgive that & indeed the last 4/5 home defeats as we are running a bit on empty and have key players out currently. It will inevitably cost us in games against the bigger teams as we are finding out.

If we can get 5th or 6th & do well in the Conference League ten the minimum would be Europa League.

That is progress whichever way you look at it and that's with missing several key players virtually for the whole season too.

Progress on Thursday and find a way to scrap 3 points at West Ham & we're right back on track. 

Both tough though with our current injuries & bans impacting on both.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well horror show on Sunday aside, we have to take into account that we were missing Kamara, who is such an important player in these games against the teams around us. We do much better against the Man U's & Spurs of this World when he is playing and we missed him badly over the last 5 home games. We are now paying the price for the current disjointed nature of the team with Mcginn having to come back to cover Kamara's absence, Ramsey missing too again which we have coped with before but when coupled with the loss of McGinn in a more attacking role also leaves us lacking creativity. For me this is why Emery erred on the cautious side knowing we were missing the vital pieces of our usual transitional play. Spurs are in a much better shape now with Maddison, Porro & co all back (Typically against us). Ok they were missing Richarlason but hey ho. We are basically a decimated squad right now with player out of position, injured or regaining form after long layoffs. That coupled with having played on Thursday too against a fresh Spurs side and even a harsh sending off added into the equation, made us look a very jaded outfit on Sunday.

I can forgive that & indeed the last 4/5 home defeats as we are running a bit on empty and have key players out currently. It will inevitably cost us in games against the bigger teams as we are finding out.

If we can get 5th or 6th & do well in the Conference League ten the minimum would be Europa League.

That is progress whichever way you look at it and that's with missing several key players virtually for the whole season too.

Progress on Thursday and find a way to scrap 3 points at West Ham & we're right back on track. 

Both tough though with our current injuries & bans impacting on both.

This

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We will all have our own idea of how bright our future is, I think we're progressing nicely, we're increasing incomes year on year and hopefully about to make a big jump on that through our sponsorship deals, we have a good squad with a lot of value in it, a good academy that's starting to produce following it's revamp and very good owners.

There will be setbacks, both on the pitch and off, but I think we're well positioned to establish ourselves among the 'great eight' who will be competing for stuff over the next few years.

I'm enjoying the brightness of now, for me, that's always the best way to do it.

I make you right, we are ahead of my expectations that is for sure - Also without looking through a claret/blue lens - I really do not believe Newcastle were five better than us, on the opening day, I also feel in both the home Newcastle/Chelsea game, whilst being off it, in the first half - we conceded the second at totally the wrong time, which effectively ended these games.

With an element of luck, we could be in an even healthier position. Definitely half full for me.

6 hours ago, FLVillan said:

The majority of problems clubs like ours face is down to the farce that is FFP/PSR or whatever they've labeled it now.  It was the reason why Lerner pulled the plug, it's the reason Leicester weren't able to build on their league win in 2016 and sold their best players and why Everton are in deep 💩 now.  What is the most galling is that the majority of the football-supporting public don't see it, or refuse to see it.  The media and the so-called "big six" have complete control and the media hate the fact that we are gate-crashing.  

If we do finish fourth or even fifth it will be a monumental achievement.  Then watch the media do everything they can to unsettle Emery by "linking" him to every single vacancy.

It's all very well saying we should have strengthened here and bought there, but simply put, the rules won't let us.  Nothing to do with how much money our owners have (Leicester's were minted too).  Our current midfield of McGinn, Kamara, Luiz and Tielemans cost less than ManUre's fourth choice centre back.  

Take a step back, look at the numbers and realize that we are punching so far above our weight...

Well, Lerner didn't pull out because of FFP. He pulled out as he couldn't financially  compete with the likes of Man City.

If not for FFP, all of our best players would be playing for Newcastle now.

Currently, to compete, our owners need to put in £100m of their own cash every season into the club. Without ffp, they would need to put in £300m...unlikely they would be willing to do that.

Edited by Czarnikjak