FAB meeting 28th February - club notes

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, blunther said:

Nah, they're going to 'consult' on price rises on the 20th March

"Would you prefer a 20% or a 25% rise in ticket prices?"

"Our consultation demonstrates that fans show an overwhelming support for a 20% rise in ticket prices"

This is pretty much how the questions in the last badge consultation were structured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

At the risk of repeating old discussions - how are the Atairos and Adidas deals not things to be impressed by?  They both represent a significant shift in the type / level of organisation that we are partnering with and point to an ability to address the revenue imbalance between us and our rivals. 

It's hard at this point in time to be overly positive or negative about Atairos or Adidas simply because we don't have any detail about either.

Atairos - 20% of the club has been sold to new minority owners. Is this good or bad for Villa? Who knows. At the moment Atairos have done nothing and said nothing. It may be 3-4 years before we find out whether this is good or bad for Villa.

Adidas - This mainly depends on that value of the deal. Is it a deal similar to say Leeds, where we are one of the standard clubs and get paid a standard fee for a standard template kit? Or are we being added to the Adidas portfolio as an elite club similar to Newcastle and are we getting more or less than the Newcastle deal?  I'd say the Newcastle deal is a good benchmark because they were a shit club like us, then they did well enough to qualify for CL for one season, then agreed their new deal with Adidas. 

The other question around the Adidas deal is did Heck bring something extra to the table that a normal Commercial Director of say Brighton or West Ham couldn't have done? We may never know the answer to this question, which brings it back to simple benchmarking against other PL deals at a similar size club. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

It's hard at this point in time to be overly positive or negative about Atairos or Adidas simply because we don't have any detail about either.

Atairos - 20% of the club has been sold to new minority owners. Is this good or bad for Villa? Who knows. At the moment Atairos have done nothing and said nothing. It may be 3-4 years before we find out whether this is good or bad for Villa.

Adidas - This mainly depends on that value of the deal. Is it a deal similar to say Leeds, where we are one of the standard clubs and get paid a standard fee for a standard template kit? Or are we being added to the Adidas portfolio as an elite club similar to Newcastle and are we getting more or less than the Newcastle deal?  I'd say the Newcastle deal is a good benchmark because they were a shit club like us, then they did well enough to qualify for CL for one season, then agreed their new deal with Adidas. 

The other question around the Adidas deal is did Heck bring something extra to the table that a normal Commercial Director of say Brighton or West Ham couldn't have done? We may never know the answer to this question, which brings it back to simple benchmarking against other PL deals at a similar size club. 

Given that a highly respected member of this forum reclused himself from discussions on the Adidas deal after saying that we were going to get a premier service - it seems pretty certain that we've got a very good deal much closer to Newcastle than Leeds.

Our last CEO did a deal with Castore - Heck completed a deal with Adidas.  Yes we're doing better on the pitch but we've signed with a much bigger firm, for a lot more money, with access to more retail outlets and will almost certainly get a better product.  That is clearly progress.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, allani said:

Our last CEO did a deal with Castore - Heck completed a deal with Adidas.  Yes we're doing better on the pitch but we've signed with a much bigger firm, for a lot more money, with access to more retail outlets and will almost certainly get a better product.  That is clearly progress.

That's a pretty odd take on it. I could have progressed the club financially from when we were a relegation candidate club and far behind clubs like Brighton, West Ham, etc.

The question has to be against a benchmark - If Newcastle get say £30m from the Adidas deal and their kit will be in 1,245 stores globally. Are we getting £28m and 1,100 stores (Heck failure) or £32m and in 1,245+ stores (Heck success). Are there any mitigating factors skewing that comparison that should mean our benchmark should be 5% higher/lower than Newcastle? Assuming Heck was the driving force behind Adidas and not a CCO or Sawaris (we'll never know).

Of course we'll never know the answers to a lot of this which is why FAB can't really deal with this sort of thing - its more of a "WHERE ARE OUR BALTI PIES YOU C***SUCKER!" sort of meeting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

That's a pretty odd take on it. I could have progressed the club financially from when we were a relegation candidate club and far behind clubs like Brighton, West Ham, etc.

The question has to be against a benchmark - If Newcastle get say £30m from the Adidas deal and their kit will be in 1,245 stores globally. Are we getting £28m and 1,100 stores (Heck failure) or £32m and in 1,245+ stores (Heck success). Are there any mitigating factors skewing that comparison that should mean our benchmark should be 5% higher/lower than Newcastle? Assuming Heck was the driving force behind Adidas and not a CCO or Sawaris (we'll never know).

Of course we'll never know the answers to a lot of this which is why FAB can't really deal with this sort of thing - its more of a "WHERE ARE OUR BALTI PIES YOU C***SUCKER!" sort of meeting.

We're currently getting about £3m and one store...

We aren't getting £30m

3 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Dan Bardell is being oddly cryptic in response to the notes.

Dan knows far more about what goes on at VP than many but is always very discreet re what, when and how he shares that info. 

The last time he said something even remotely approaching this, Purslow left the club. 

• Thanks 1

The response to the FFP response is a bit OTT to me. It’s what I would expect them to say - FFP (or PSR, etc) is just about running your club with a somewhat balanced budget and having to report on that. So of course there are no “FFP decisions” because EVERYTHING is an FFP decision. I’d respectfully suggest it’s a question asked by someone who doesn’t understand how a business functions because every business in the world (within reason) has to balance the books, whatever reporting framework they have to follow, and that isn’t usually going to be just one person’s call on every decision with financial implications. What perhaps is the real question is: who is making the final call if the business side of the club and the footballing side of the club disagree - and in that they seem pretty clear it’s via direct control of the ownership.

Tone of minutes I agree are appallingly written up - you can make minutes sound concise and boring without sounding dismissive, especially  if it was actually a positive meeting. But that’s probably some junior employee tasked with writing them up quickly (which itself could be seen as a bad judgment call).

None of this to say I don’t have some questions about decisions off the pitch at the moment! 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

It's good to hear that the tone on this meeting was positive: would definitely be an improvement on the first few meetings. The notes the Club have written, however, seem to have been the most eyebrow raising yet. Just so many weird comments.

There's so much vague smoke about the leadership (some of it coming from people you'd consider to have ties to the club) alongside some baffling decisions from them that it's created such an ambiguous situation. Really hope it gets resolved one way or another asap, it's such an unnecessary distraction.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 01:26, wishywashy said:

Dan Bardell is being oddly cryptic in response to the notes.

I have noticed Dan has been increasingly negative about the club hierarchy on his podcast so this does not surprise me. He made reference a few weeks ago that he would need to stop being so negative about the club or he we would receive ‘another’ call from someone at the club. And last ep he made reference to Body Moor Heath being unwelcoming. Small digs but obvious enough he has had some bad experiences.

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

And as I remind superiors at work - if you dont listen to feedback in consultations, we wont listen to you :- D 

"Stop shaking that ladder!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I have noticed Dan has been increasingly negative about the club hierarchy on his podcast so this does not surprise me. He made reference a few weeks ago that he would need to stop being so negative about the club or he we would receive ‘another’ call from someone at the club. And last ep he made reference to Body Moor Heath being unwelcoming. Small digs but obvious enough he has had some bad experiences.

I think maybe Dan was getting some info from people no longer at the club and maybe Monchi and Heck are not so forthcoming

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2024 at 02:18, spiezels said:

Anymore word on the Villa documentary?

The bleep machine over-heated and exploded due to the number  of "cock-suckers" so filming had to be stopped.

Because of FFP, we will have to sell some other form of machinery first, like one of the gym bikes, before we can buy a new one.

Apparently, there is one person watching the bike on Ebay but that is Newcastle and they can't afford to buy it until they've sold Tonali.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella

As we've come to expect recently, the notes just read as "this is what we're doing and if you don't like it you can **** off"