FAB meeting 28th February - club notes

OutByEaster?

It's is all very mixed at Villa. On one hand on the pitch it's the best we have had in a generation. We building a new city academy and are investing in clubs all around the world to help produce some young talent. And yet everything else seems so piecemeal and on the cheap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oddly, although the notes don't give that impression in so far as I can tell - those at the meeting reported it as being conducted in quite a positive way and with a pretty open approach. 

I was tempted to send you a PM on this rather than reply here but I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.  I think that it's probably down to someone trying to make the notes look business like rather than more casual and so the tone of the notes is out of kilter.  Which ties in with your comment above.  But when I read the notes I was looking at some of the questions and wondering why the FAB were being so aggressive and that that approach is always going to end up with curt, blunt responses (which seem to have been given).  Engagement is a two way street after all.  So both the "tone" of the questions and the answers sound like they are both out of alignment with the generally positive and open discussion that you say the attendees (or at least those you have spoken to) felt had taken place.  Is that fair?

Oh and one important comment I noted about FFP and the change of the accounting date being about bringing it in line with the dates of other contracts - which makes complete sense - hopefully that clears up all the noise about it being done to try and hide a possible problem.  There might be an FFP related bonus but I suspect it just makes reporting 1000 times early because you don't have to mess around with pro-rata calculations, etc.  It does kind of make you think why on earth was it ever done in May?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's is all very mixed at Villa. On one hand on the pitch it's the best we have had in a generation. We building a new city academy and are investing in clubs all around the world to help produce some young talent. And yet everything else seems so piecemeal and on the cheap.

How so? I think Purslow was/is a master of narrative - always on sky and talksport to add his opinion etc.  The current lot are more bullish and stubborn more interested in numbers and revenue streams rather than communicating. 

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I was tempted to send you a PM on this rather than reply here but I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.  I think that it's probably down to someone trying to make the notes look business like rather than more casual and so the tone of the notes is out of kilter.  Which ties in with your comment above.  But when I read the notes I was looking at some of the questions and wondering why the FAB were being so aggressive and that that approach is always going to end up with curt, blunt responses (which seem to have been given).  Engagement is a two way street after all.  So both the "tone" of the questions and the answers sound like they are both out of alignment with the generally positive and open discussion that you say the attendees (or at least those you have spoken to) felt had taken place.  Is that fair?

Probably, yes - as I say, and I've only heard from a couple of people, those that were there said the meeting was positive and open.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Risso said:

And this, set of wazzocks:

"Who has ultimate accountability for FFP decisions under the new structure?

The Premier League’s Profit and Sustainability rules set out a process requiring the reporting on an annual basis of each member Club’s financial status. There is no such thing as “FFP decisions”. The Club carries on its business in the ordinary course and reports as required under the aforementioned rules."

There is no such thing as FFP decisions. Oh yes there f***ing well are, decisions that if taken, will impact on FFP. You know, like buying and selling players, salary level etc. Stop trying to be clever and just answer the f***ing question, you know full well what was meant!

Let's be real here...

The club reps aren't thick and know that some of these are loaded questions with angles.

Just because the answer some want to hear is " Chris Heck is **** everything up and will continue to do so, blame him for anything bad that happens till he's sacked " doesn't mean it's the correct answer 🤣

Looking from an unbiased viewpoint, while the answer seems " short shrift " ( Let's also consider that these are MINUTES ) and you weren't in the room with them, I actually understand the concept.

Basically, there are FFP guidelines the club has to follow, the whole club operates with the aim of following those guidelines synergistically and there isn't necessarily ONE person responsible for FFP decisions. It's obvious fans just want a face/person to villanise. ( He has already been chosen, so why shall the club feed into it further? )

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Probably, yes - as I say, and I've only heard from a couple of people, those that were there said the meeting was positive and open.

Plus I suspect that trying to shorten a long discussion into a sentence or two "minute" almost always cuts out the dialogue and "fluffy" side of things.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

How so? I think Purslow was/is a master of narrative - always on sky and talksport to add his opinion etc.  The current lot are more bullish and stubborn more interested in numbers and revenue streams rather than communicating. 

Given how far behind we seem to be behind our rivals in terms of revenue (match day income, shirt sales, sponsorship, etc) there's an awful lot pointing to more action and less words being absolutely the right way to go.  I'd 100% prefer us to double our revenue and halve our communications rather than double our friendly comms and keep our revenue the same.  That doesn't mean that we can't be good on both sides of the equation.  But if we have to be poor at one.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, allani said:

Given how far behind we seem to be behind our rivals in terms of revenue (match day income, shirt sales, sponsorship, etc) there's an awful lot pointing to more action and less words being absolutely the right way to go.  I'd 100% prefer us to double our revenue and halve our communications rather than double our friendly comms and keep our revenue the same.  That doesn't mean that we can't be good on both sides of the equation.  But if we have to be poor at one.... 

Absolutely. I want the best for the club.

50 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Once again, the notes just sound like a business replying to a customer complaint using a blanket template response. And the tone is one of complete disregard and disrespect of the people asking the question.

If the tone of the meeting was positive,  it doesnt take a genius to make the tone of the club's response sound less like it was written by a complete arsehole.

Yeah, the reason I asked about it is there's often seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. Honestly think these minutes do more harm than good and they'd be better off leaving FAB representatives to just give their thoughts back to their groups.

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's be real here...

The club reps aren't thick and know that some of these are loaded questions with angles.

I think it's crap from the club JV.

The FFP answer is exactly the same shitty attitude we've seen with the badge. Patronising wank.

I hope they don't make as much of a mess with FFP as they have the badge. There's clearly some who are really full of themselves at Villa. They think they're doing well because Unai Emery is. Hope they don't undo his good work.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just because the answer some want to hear is " Chris Heck is **** everything up and will continue to do so, blame him for anything bad that happens till he's sacked " doesn't mean it's the correct answer 🤣

Fiction.

Basically, there are FFP guidelines the club has to follow, the whole club operates with the aim of following those guidelines synergistically and there isn't necessarily ONE person responsible for FFP decisions.

We know there's rules.

The question was how the club makes decisions to navigate them. It wasn't answered.

We got "There is no such thing as FFP decisions" which is incorrect. If we sell Ramsey on June 29th, it'll be an FFP decision.

The FAB should put questions forward again if they aren't answered.

It's obvious fans just want a face/person to villanise. ( He has already been chosen, so why shall the club feed into it further? )

Fiction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pretty poor we can't get enough space for the required wheelchair bays.

I remember it was after relegation the North Stand lower was supposed to be reconfigured to give more access to our disabled fans but never happened.

Surely one of the vacant boxes in the ground could be reconfigured and provide a safe and warm space to watch the match from?

It's a shame given things are finally clicking on the pitch that off it we're giving off very corporate vibes and not interested in enhancing supporter experience unless they have endless £££££s to part with.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's a shame @OutByEaster? couldn't make this one because I'd love to know what the tone felt like in the meeting and how much of it was the FAB talking and the club listening.

Those notes make it sound like the meeting could have been the club sending an email from a "donotreply" address.

He has been allocated the appropriate number of naughty points for not attending

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind but the new disabled seats they've built in The Holte don't even sell out.  Is there actually any demand for more of them? 

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it's crap from the club JV.

The FFP answer is exactly the same shitty attitude we've seen with the badge. Patronising wank.

I hope they don't make as much of a mess with FFP as they have the badge. There's clearly some who are really full of themselves at Villa. They think they're doing well because Unai Emery is. Hope they don't undo his good work.

Fiction.

We know there's rules.

The question was how the club makes decisions to navigate them. It wasn't answered.

We got "There is no such thing as FFP decisions" which is incorrect. If we sell Ramsey on June 29th, it'll be an FFP decision.

The FAB should put questions forward again if they aren't answered.

Fiction.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's MINUTES from a meeting, nothing more, it's not an in depth covering of the meeting, nor is it nuanced or contex.

The Notion that a set of fans are in angst at certain elements of the club, especially at ONE person in particular... Is far from fiction.

It's pasted all over the forum on an ongoing basis.

Even look at some of the comments before they came out and some already had the narrative carved out and we're ready to attack.

Under the circumstance, as with all things, the feeling will lean into the pre formed narrative.

I'm also certain some people were desperate for the Twitter files/gate to result in scandal and swift changes 😂.

Sorry but no one is being fooled here, we are all on the same board and Villa social media, and see the same things/posts and posters.

For example.

Just like in match/player threads, we already know the narrative's and mood of some posters in advance of events even taking place.

We also know what to expect after the fact

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

I think that is a little bit unfair JV. 

We all come from a variety of walks of life and we bring our experience to this. For seven years I wrote the minutes in an old job working for a board. I understand what minutes are about and I understand there is a tone there for certain.

I like to think I take things as I see them and I am always as positive as ai can be with the team and manager. I think I am entitled to be rather less impressed with what is happening off the pitch and the change in tone we can all sense since last summer. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's MINUTES from a meeting, nothing more, it's not an in depth covering of the meeting, nor is it nuanced or contex.

The Notion that a set of fans are in angst at certain elements of the club, especially at ONE person in particular... Is far from fiction.

It's pasted all over the forum on an ongoing basis.

Even look at some of the comments before they came out and some already had the narrative carved out and we're ready to attack.

Under the circumstance, as with all things, the feeling will lean into the pre formed narrative.

I'm also certain some people were desperate for the Twitter files/gate to result in scandal and swift changes 😂.

Sorry but no one is being fooled here, we are all on the same board and Villa social media, and see the same things/posts and posters.

For example.

Just like in match/player threads, we already know the narrative's and mood of some posters in advance of events even taking place.

We also know what to expect after the fact

Couldn't give a f what knife sharpening goes on.

I just read the minutes, that's it. 

Certain elements are dripping with arrogance, which comes down to some of the personalities working at Aston Villa.

A branding master has come in and **** up the badge when we JUST got a new one.

I won't be surprised at all if much more **** up with total horseshit like "there is no such thing as FFP decisions" being the way of thinking. Could haunt us that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Re: Holte Pub.  How do they check if someone is a Lions Club member? I've never received any type of membership card or number even though I have bought tickets via the Lions Club, so I presume I am a member.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a good question. I'll find out, or if someone who knows could answer that'd be great.

i have once upon a time had a lions club membership card but that was going back a few years.

re: the holte pub, i think i've only been in there once (pretty sure it was the game between gerrard and unai) and i don't recall being asked to show anything to gain entry so whatever the official criteria was for entry, it certainly wasn't being strictly enforced that day

i didn't think much of it so never went back...i thought you'd at least have a pint served in a glass. i can have a beer in one of those plastic things in the concourse

• Like 1