FAB meeting 28th February - club notes

OutByEaster?

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As we've come to expect recently, the notes just read as "this is what we're doing and if you don't like it you can **** off"

Much like the employee consultation forum in my workplace so. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As we've come to expect recently, the notes just read as "this is what we're doing and if you don't like it you can **** off"

Good … Fan engagement should be kept to a minimum yet treated with consideration and respect it rightly deserves. And it’s true if you don’t like what the club are doing then you don’t need to go, spend money etc or do but it’s inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. 

• Confused 1

On 02/03/2024 at 12:04, est1874 said:

Thank God for Dan Bardell knowing stuff he won't say.

What would we do without him.

Used to like him but now he believes his own self prescribed hype and is self promoting and seeking. Plenty of others have knowledge from inside the club I’m sure but he chooses to do what serves him best IMO with it 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Used to like him but now he believes his own self prescribed hype and is self promoting and seeking. Plenty of others have knowledge from inside the club I’m sure but he chooses to do what serves him best IMO with it 

Yes. Self-important twit.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I can't believe he twerked for Toney over Ollie for England live on Sky. But now saying he wouldn't swap Ollie for Haaland. 🤣 Indecisive Dan. You are in a prominent position in the media, use your voice to clearly get behind the bloody club and players. Drop the Sky Sports script! Remember the club that gave you a platform to have a career!!! You are representing us (villa fans) on Sky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Good … Fan engagement should be kept to a minimum yet treated with consideration and respect it rightly deserves. And it’s true if you don’t like what the club are doing then you don’t need to go, spend money etc or do but it’s inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. 

Wow! 😳 

• Like 1

Treating fans as customers feels very American, in a negative way. Or maybe he is indeed acutely aware that as actual fans we'll stick around no matter what

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

In general the vast majority of fans want what's best for the club in the long term. That's why it's crucial to listen to them and take their views on board. And, much like a restaurant or pub, it's the local regulars that are your lifeblood. Anger them at your peril. 

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

In general the vast majority of fans want what's best for the club in the long term. That's why it's crucial to listen to them and take their views on board. And, much like a restaurant or pub, it's the local regulars that are your lifeblood. Anger them at your peril. 

Yeah but sometimes they are also wrong, and don't actually know what's best in the grand scheme for the club as a whole, regardless of how passionate they are.

That's why they aren't club owners or board members themselves.

Guaranteed there were a number of Spurs fans who didn't want to leave White Hart lane, Evertonians who never wanted a new stadium, fans who moaned about ticket prices etc etc. ( As an example )

But I'm pretty sure those Spurs fans are now happy for the most part.

So yeah... " The customer is always right " is frankly an outdated and bollox cliche.

The best you can do is attempt to communicate " bad " or unwanted news with fans/customers in the best way possible. ( Maybe they are lacking here? )

But again... I trust the owners, their knowledge, AND the people they've entrusted with taking the club forward 

Just like in politics... You have people who could charm the pants off a crowd, yet have horrific policies, and politicians who are more short and disliked, but actually make better policy for the greater good, regardless of if ppl initially like them or not.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean this is horseshit to be honest

Like it or not modern football dictates that local fans especially are dispensable to some degree and it’s all about global reach, maximising revenues and there will away be someone to take your place if you don’t decide to go etc. it sucks for sure but let’s be realistic here that it’s big business and big corporations do what they feel is best with little regard for the consumers thoughts on most levels and fan engagement is just lip service and as you cannot please everyone which can lead to unnecessary compromises to appease. Gone are the days the voices of us matter it’s about our £££ that’s what the club wants not our opinions. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Wow! 😳 

Do you real think they care if you or I go or don’t go ? We are replaceable as per the season ticket waiting list. I wish we’d follow the German model whereby fans have a real day in the running of their clubs but we don’t and it’s way too late for that sadly. I want to feel my voice is heard but do I think they really care - no. The highly paid experts in their field will do what they thinks best for the club and sometimes that will piss fans off. It’s not right but it’s business 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Like it or not modern football dictates that local fans especially are dispensable to some degree and it’s all about global reach, maximising revenues and there will away be someone to take your place if you don’t decide to go etc. it sucks for sure but let’s be realistic here that it’s big business and big corporations do what they feel is best with little regard for the consumers thoughts on most levels and fan engagement is just lip service and as you cannot please everyone which can lead to unnecessary compromises to appease. Gone are the days the voices of us matter it’s about our £££ that’s what the club wants not our opinions. 

Fan engagement matters. Nobody is saying the club should do whatever the fans say. That’s mental. 

But there’s a way to engage with fans. You don’t just say **** you we’re doing this anyway.

Fan engagement matters

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I can't believe he twerked for Toney over Ollie for England live on Sky. But now saying he wouldn't swap Ollie for Haaland. 🤣 Indecisive Dan. You are in a prominent position in the media, use your voice to clearly get behind the bloody club and players. Drop the Sky Sports script! Remember the club that gave you a platform to have a career!!! You are representing us (villa fans) on Sky.

People on this site are constantly changing their mind on Watkins. Check out Autumn 2022. I have deacribed him and Yorke as our two stand out forwards since 1992. Watkins has found amazing form in the past 15 months but he was clearly out of form before Emery came in. 

I have to say I find the comments on Dan Bardell a bit distasteful. Was here doing fan media at our lowest ebb. Yes, he has become successful since then but he still has arguably the best villa podcast.

He also still speaks his mind.I would be far, far more concerned if people like him were just parroting the party line. But maybe that's what people expect - that the man in the suit is always right and a mere fan couldn't possibly be. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fan engagement matters. Nobody is saying the club should do whatever the fans say. That’s mental. 

But there’s a way to engage with fans. You don’t just say **** you we’re doing this anyway.

Fan engagement matters

And at no point has anyone at the club said **** you we're doing this anyway.

All they've done here is upset you and others with poor and less-polished PR than Purslow had. He was at his heart a great PR figurehead for the owners. They've chosen to go a totally different route by bringing in a guy who clearly is not here to be Mr. Nice or front a well-oiled PR machine.

Everyone hates the crest and branding that he has yet to even release.

Everyone hates the temporary decision to not proceed with a new North Stand despite not knowing what the alternative plan might be.

In the meantime, he's delivered a huge shirt deal with a great, global manufacturer.

Nobody's seen anything official and meaningful about the rest yet. His mistake was telling you all just enough to piss you off, without showing you what's in the other hand. As I said, bad PR choices.

55 minutes ago, est1874 said:

And at no point has anyone at the club said **** you we're doing this anyway.

All they've done here is upset you and others with poor and less-polished PR than Purslow had. He was at his heart a great PR figurehead for the owners. They've chosen to go a totally different route by bringing in a guy who clearly is not here to be Mr. Nice or front a well-oiled PR machine.

Everyone hates the crest and branding that he has yet to even release.

Everyone hates the temporary decision to not proceed with a new North Stand despite not knowing what the alternative plan might be.

In the meantime, he's delivered a huge shirt deal with a great, global manufacturer.

Nobody's seen anything official and meaningful about the rest yet. His mistake was telling you all just enough to piss you off, without showing you what's in the other hand. As I said, bad PR choices.

Managing the decisions and how they land is an important part of the job of the CEO or president of business operations, what you're identifying is that one holder of the post was better than the other, how far that goes throughout the performance of the role is up for grabs.

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

Nope, remind me who owns 9% of Adidas shares, all that’s happened is the Castore deal was ended a season early because of the poor shirts and the Adidas deal was brought forward a year, it was happening with or without Heck. It really isn’t some great Heck achievement

• Like 1
  • Confused 2