FAB meeting 28th February - club notes

OutByEaster?

Re: Holte Pub.  How do they check if someone is a Lions Club member? I've never received any type of membership card or number even though I have bought tickets via the Lions Club, so I presume I am a member.

It is ridiculous that the club even wants to overhaul the club shop. It is not big enough nor fit for purpose. We were supposed to have a new one at first in the Villa Live venue, and then the new north stand.

I fail to see how capacity can even be remotely increased following this seating bowl configuration. This will lead quite rightly to more disabled seating, and wrongly more corporate stuff. At this rate we will be going more towards 40,000 rather than 50,000.

This looks like a perfunctory meeting which they are obliged to do, rather than anything constructive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Re: Holte Pub.  How do they check if someone is a Lions Club member? I've never received any type of membership card or number even though I have bought tickets via the Lions Club, so I presume I am a member.

That's a good question. I'll find out, or if someone who knows could answer that'd be great.

So more "plus" seating on the way. 

I take it this means they have confidence in selling them. 

Edited by sidcow

22 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

It was a number of years ago but when I went as part of the Irish Lions, I was given a little card that I handed back to the chairman upon entry. The Irish Lions had something like 5 cards for members.

Any other time I’ve been to VP, I just bought a ticket under my club account.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is ridiculous that the club even wants to overhaul the club shop. It is not big enough nor fit for purpose. We were supposed to have a new one at first in the Villa Live venue, and then the new north stand.

I think what they are going to do is take the ticket office that's next to the shop and make that part of the store - matchday ticket offices are dead now, no one is buying tickets on matchday and the space is underused - by adding it to the shop, they'll add half again to its size and hopefully give themselves a little bit more room. On matchdays, the shop makes a fortune and I'm sure there's potential for more with more space.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I fail to see how capacity can even be remotely increased following this seating bowl configuration. This will lead quite rightly to more disabled seating, and wrongly more corporate stuff. At this rate we will be going more towards 40,000 rather than 50,000..

It's interesting, the 'inevitability' of more GA+ seats and hospitality, and the seating which will be lost as we become compliant with the regulations on disabled seating will probably mean that as the club add a couple of thousand spaces over the next two or three years, we won't actually see any increase (and perhaps a decrease) in the amount of seats available to the average matchday supporter.

I'd also note that they've added a thousand GA+ seats over the summer and my season ticket went up a fair bit - I'm not sure we've seen the correlation yet between more hospitality and lower season ticket prices.

• Thanks 1

Sadly, I think this bit might be a bit difficult as part of the 150th celebrations:

It was suggested that part of our celebrations should involve the City of Birmingham, specifically events with museums, the arts etc.

None of those organisations have got a pot to piss in and half of them will be closed down by the time we start celebrating.

• Like 1

As per question 2, the technical seating bowl optimisation study on additional seats will be completed by the end of March”

Lets hope this isn’t making current seats slightly smaller, so they fit extra people in per row 

In addition, the Club is reviewing the current seating mix in order to ensure that going forwards we have the right balance of GA, GA+ and Hospitality seating.  Inevitably this will result in a greater allocation of GA+ and Hospitality seating than we currently have.  Changing this mix is an essential part of ensuring we can keep season ticket prices as affordable as possible.

So the club won't be tacking on more 15% increases to season ticket prices, after they've converted more seats to GA+? Their season ticket price policy revolves around being affordable? Don't think we should hold our breath on that one.

It's barely been a few months since they went around proudly proclaiming that their season tickets were benchmarked to be top eight price-wise. I imagine they'll try to sell another increase in the summer by saying that now we're a top six club, the prices have to reflect that... 

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting, the 'inevitability' of more GA+ seats and hospitality, and the seating which will be lost as we become compliant with the regulations on disabled seating will probably mean that as the club add a couple of thousand spaces over the next two or three years, we won't actually see any increase (and perhaps a decrease) in the amount of seats available to the average matchday supporter.

I'd also note that they've added a thousand GA+ seats over the summer and my season ticket went up a fair bit - I'm not sure we've seen the correlation yet between more hospitality and lower season ticket prices.

You must be joking- there is no way our season ticket prices will be going down any time. With all of this work if capacity is lowered, that will result in more demand so they can put the prices up again.

Heck talk of 45,000 is flimsy at best. No evidence at all on this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure we've seen the correlation yet between more hospitality and lower season ticket prices.

There's no such thing as lower season ticket prices in reality. Between inflation and trying to increase matchday revenue season tickets are only going to go up in price.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a shame @OutByEaster? couldn't make this one because I'd love to know what the tone felt like in the meeting and how much of it was the FAB talking and the club listening.

Those notes make it sound like the meeting could have been the club sending an email from a "donotreply" address.

Oddly, although the notes don't give that impression in so far as I can tell - those at the meeting reported it as being conducted in quite a positive way and with a pretty open approach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm loving the response to the question as to who in this new structure is ultimately responsible for ensuring Villa don't breach financial regulations, where they a) answer that FFP isn't real, it's actually PSR (okay?) and b) that the President of Football is responsible for Football and the President of Business is responsible for Business.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That Ben Hatton comes across as a right smarmy prick 

Never really liked the clubs tone in these meetings, although it can be hard to judge it from the limited responses 

• Like 1