Kingman

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Pretty sure Emery will be playing it safe for this game, i.e. anyone anywhere near an injury won't play. Can even see Chambers start. 

I believe Chambers wasn't registered by AVFC to play in the latter rounds of the competition so he won't be in any of our UECL squads at all for the rest of the season.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 1

Think we have to go full strength with the double edged aim of a trophy but also the co effient points to open up the 5th place for champions league which will in turn make premier league qualification easier

What I'd like to see (which absolutely won't happen) is the following team on the assumption that Ramsey is injured.

Emi
Konsa - Lenglet - Pau - Digne 
Bailey - McGinn - Luiz - Diaby
              Youri - Ollie

The back 4 is pretty solid defensively and it would be fun to see Bailey and Diaby on opposite wings, with Youri dropping a bit deepeer to help out the middle. 

No Bergwijn or Berghuis available for Ajax today from the press conference. Sutalo is suspended but is injured anyway, so they are likely to start the 11 from the weekend. Van de Boomen may come into the side but Mannsverk did well beside Henderson and would be unlucky to be left out.
..........................Ramaj...........................

Gooijer...Rensch...Kaplan...Hato...Sosa

Hlynsson.Mannsverk.Henderson.Taylor

........................Brobbey.........................

Their coach van't Schip reverted to a back 5 against AZ last week which obviously goes against the ideals of Ajax's famous 4-3-3, as a way to try and just get results which didn't work on that occasion.
What was surprising is that he used the same system at home on Sunday, but their performance and result was much improved. They have moved away from wingers in this side at the moment and so expect Taylor and Hlynsson to closely support Brobbey with the width coming from the full-backs in Sosa and Gooijer. The middle of the field is going to be pretty congested.

They have a very decent keeper in Ramaj who is in great form. Very young back-line which has been very fragile this season. Turkish youngster Kaplan started for the first time on Sunday and did well but may be someone that Villa can target. Hato will turn 18 tomorrow and will be their next big sale. Midfield is young and has had ups and downs, Henderson has clearly been signed to bring in leadership and experience. Brobbey is the star man up front. Only 5ft 11', but he can lead the line on his own and will be a big challenge for our defenders.
At the moment they are playing a bit like Man United. Confidence is a little low, which is why they have been playing a bit more reactively but with a huge crowd behind them, if they get going, they will start to play and that's what we have to stop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking at their squad, this is not the Ajax of a few years ago that nearly did Spurs. 

Lot of kids and the only one in their team who'd worry me is Brobbey and if he was that good, he'd not be playing for them anymore. 

Over the 2 legs, we should demolish these lot. I'd not be surprised to see a draw tomorrow night, solely down to the fact it's a new experience for a lot of this squad playing a knockout European tie, then get them back to VP and stick 3 or 4 in. 

I’d completely forgotten about Henderson being at Ajax.

A quick check of his stats and he’s played four league games and one ECL game for them. The data would suggest he’s been a fairly solid 7 to 7.5 out of 10, with good passing accuracy and the odd shot. His experience will be good for them but I hope our midfield runs rings around the word removed. 

30 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d completely forgotten about Henderson being at Ajax.

A quick check of his stats and he’s played four league games and one ECL game for them. The data would suggest he’s been a fairly solid 7 to 7.5 out of 10, with good passing accuracy and the odd shot. His experience will be good for them but I hope our midfield runs rings around the word removed. 

No doubt Concorde Face will be in the crowd to watch his buddy (just not when he nips to the bog for one off the wrist).

• Haha 2

Martinez.

Cash.      Konsa.   Lenglet.    Digne.

Bailey.      McGinn.    Luiz.      Ramsey. 

Tielemans. 

Watkins. 

Rogers if Ramsey is injured.

Start strong, mean business, hopefully if we're in a good place (ie 2 up) after 60 start resting a few. 

I'd be more than happy with a slow, turgid 0-0 then get the job done at VP.

I've been pretty accurate with my last 3 predictions so I should keep quiet with this one, because I could easily see 1-1 or 2-1 them. Hopefully not though obviously. UTV.

• Like 1

I really hope Unai and our team are prepared and not as underestimating of Ajax as we seem to be here online.

2019 they were semi finalists in the UCL and have been a knockout stage feature again since.

I know where we are at, but there's so many more factors that determines what's going on, any time two teams meet, than who is stronger on paper

I think Ajax prioritizes this competition and specifically this fixture, as one they want to give their all and win.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1