Kingman

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Ah fair enough, I remember going to this game back in 2008, but I don’t remember how he played. My memory of him is generally poor though, but glad he had a decent game then.

I do agree with you, I think overall he wasn't good for us.

• Like 1

........................Martinez.........................

Cash……….Konsa……..Lenglet.......Digne

................Luiz............McGinn...............

Diaby.............Tielemans..........Zaniolo

........................Watkins.........................

Hopefully get a foothold in the game and start to rest key players early in the second half. Give decent minutes to KKH, Chambers, Iroegbunam, Rogers and possibly Duran.

On 25/02/2024 at 18:35, alreadyexists said:

This is how we lined up last time we faced them… that’s not a bad line up to be fair!! (With the exception of Nicky Shorey 😂)

IMG_6163.jpeg

It's not a bad team, but only Laursen, Barry and Ashley Young would get in our team now. Luke Young v Cash is close I suppose, but think I just favour Cash.

Cuellar was loved by a section of the Villa fans but I always thought he was awful technically and a really clumsy defender, although defensively he was decent I suppose. Reo Coker could put in a tackle but was shite on the ball and at passing. Petrov was classy but immobile and not really a defensive midfielder. Gabby was showing potential at the time but only really had pace, his first touch was terrible. Milner was a decent winger but much better in the middle, Bailey much better as a winger.

I think the Ajax team we faced in 2008 had a young Luiz Suarez in it, also pretty sure Vertonghen was in their team who later moved t Spurs and was a very good ball playing centre half. They also had a very clinical Dutch striker called Huntelaar. I think I mentioned at the time that we should try to sign all of these players but MON being MON and only interested in the English or Scottish leagues, he was never going to be interested. 

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's not a bad team, but only Laursen, Barry and Ashley Young would get in our team now. Luke Young v Cash is close I suppose, but think I just favour Cash.

Cuellar was loved by a section of the Villa fans but I always thought he was awful technically and a really clumsy defender, although defensively he was decent I suppose. Reo Coker could put in a tackle but was shite on the ball and at passing. Petrov was classy but immobile and not really a defensive midfielder. Gabby was showing potential at the time but only really had pace, his first touch was terrible. Milner was a decent winger but much better in the middle, Bailey much better as a winger.

I think the Ajax team we faced in 2008 had a young Luiz Suarez in it, also pretty sure Vertonghen was in their team who later moved t Spurs and was a very good ball playing centre half. They also had a very clinical Dutch striker called Huntelaar. I think I mentioned at the time that we should try to sign all of these players but MON being MON and only interested in the English or Scottish leagues, he was never going to be interested. 

Very good ball playing....but not in the way you'd think.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

Would rotate a lot, the Spurs game is massive. CL qualification is much more important than winning this for me.

Emi

Chambers Konsa Lenglet Digne

McGinn Luiz Tim Rogers

Diaby Watkins

• Like 1

I think this will be the sort of game that the players will want to play in. Getting into Europe was a big incentive last season and this would have been the kind of trip that they would have had in their sights. It is no great distance to travel and I think UE may think about going strong again, although not risking any players that are coming back from injury and he will probably be looking to give most of our regulars 45 minutes again. Pity we have Spurs in between the two matches, but West Ham away, could be pretty big too. I think we may start: 

Emi, Matty, Lenglet, Pau, Digne, Iroegbunam, McGinn, Douglas, Zaniolo, Diaby and Watkins. Bringing on Konsa, KKH, Moreno, Tielemans and Rogers for the second half or for much of it. 

I see Coral has Ajax at 10/3 to win at home and we are odds on to win there at 7/10. I hope they are right, they often are. 

If ramsey fit enough then he can start. If not then maybe Mcginn on the left and tielemans up with watkins.               

Martinez

Cash       Konsa      Lenglet     Digne

Diaby       Tim           Luiz         Ramsey

Mcginn     Watkins

I'd go with (but as always will back whatever El Maestro decides as let's face it, he knows far more than all of us combined!):

Emi

Cash               Konsa                    Lenglet                 Digne

Luiz                McGinn

Tielemans 

Bailey               Watkins              Diaby

Subs: Olsen, Tim, Torres, Moreno, Pau, Ramsey (if fit enough), Rogers, Zaniolo.

Edited by wedge

Hopefully this will be the slowest and most boring one paced turgid game of the season. Kill the game with minimum expenditure of energy and zero injuries and then look to finish them off at VP after Spurs. 

• Like 2

I think we need to be professional but I can see it being an exciting game. A draw would be a good result away from home but I can see goals in this one from both teams. 

On 03/03/2024 at 11:05, Leeroy said:

Reo Coker could put in a tackle but was shite on the ball and at passing. Petrov was classy but immobile and not really a defensive midfielder.

How many times Nige would make a great atckle and then just kick it back to the opposition :D

Can't wait for this game, going to celebrate with a few Frinkandels after.

• Like 1

Hard one this. Do we go full strength or change a few or change wholesale. 

Wholesale changes and it would look something like this:

Martinez

Cash          Lenglet               Torres            Digne

Diaby         Irogebunam       Tielemans     Ramsey

Zaniolo              Rogers

A few changes

Martinez

Cash        Lenglet                Torres         Digne

Diaby        McGinn              Luiz            Rogers

Watkins              Tielemans

I doubt they’ll risk Pau considering he missed Luton and will be pleasantly surprised if Jacob is fit enough. 

Question is do you play Lenglet and Chambers or maybe Konsa and Pau play a half each if they are fit enough. 

If Ramsey isn’t fit enough then you play Watkins and Bailey for a half each.

I think this is going to be the game where we can afford to rest a few as a draw or narrow defeat would be 'fine'. 

Dull and insipid 0.0 would be fine by me. Pass them to death with our reserves and keep energy in the bank. 

That said.....its a romantic fixture and my heart says....go full strength and try to spank them. 

Most likely is the top option I think as we always have home leg to come. Under lights, big euro night....love to be there but not sure I can this time. Last night I remember like this was inter with God showing Baresi how to do it. 

I'd go...... 

Gk- new aussie lad 

Lb - moreno (keep digne for spuds) 

Cbs - longlet and konsa (keep pau for spuds) 

Rb - KKH (we've gone strong on cb ro cover his involvement) doubt emery agrees with me. I will bow to his slightly better experience.... 

CM- mcginn and youri (doug too important for spuds) 

ACM - Bailey, zaniola, diaby 

Cf - Rogers (ollie too important for sun. Win that and we have fourth. He can always come on for 30 mins if we need to nick a goal. Again.....I don't think emery will do this. But I would fwiw. 

Just think we can overrun them at vp and spurs......need to keep a foot on their throat. No more injuries to give them hope. 

Vtid

8 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Hopefully this will be the slowest and most boring one paced turgid game of the season. Kill the game with minimum expenditure of energy and zero injuries and then look to finish them off at VP after Spurs. 

Screen-Shot-2015-02-12-at-16.33.32-300x1

• Haha 2

Not going to pretend that I know anything about Ajax atm, but Skysports tells me that they're fifth in their league, four points behind AZ.

Last two matches have been the first clean sheets they've seen for a while:

03.03.24 Ajax 2 - 0 FC Utrecht  
25.02.24 AZ 2 - 0 Ajax  
22.02.24 FK Bodø/Glimt 1 - 2 Ajax  
18.02.24 Ajax 2 - 2 NEC  
15.02.24 Ajax 2 - 2 FK Bodø/Glimt  
11.02.24 SC Heerenveen 3 - 2 Ajax  
03.02.24 Ajax 1 - 1 PSV  
27.01.24 Heracles Almelo 2 - 4 Ajax  
21.01.24 Ajax 4 - 1 RKC Waalwijk  
14.01.24 Go Ahead Eagles 2 - 3 Ajax  
07.01.24 Ajax 2 - 1 Hannover 96  
21.12.23 USV Hercules 3 - 2 Ajax  
17.12.23 Ajax 2 - 2 PEC Zwolle  
14.12.23 Ajax 3 - 1 AEK Athene  
09.12.23 Ajax 2 - 1 Sparta Rotterdam  
06.12.23 RKC Waalwijk 2 - 3 Ajax

In short, they're not what they used to be.