Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Matty Cash to be replaced with Matthew Contactless

Matty Crypto. No one will be able to track him.

• Haha 2

Imagine your agent phoning to say villa are interested, you would piss your pants with excitement, Emery, the squad. Be a dream move for 99% of players.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness.

I'm pretty sure none of us thought we " needed " a Left Back when we signed Moreno or " needed " a random Championship player with average stats when we signed Rogers.

Both proved pivotal in the respective seasons we signed them.

Bare in mind, there will defo be a bigger picture plan.

And most importantly... this could be absolute bollox.

We have great players but Unai deserves to have more of his own choosing and the profile he wants… most of them he has inherited…

• Like 1

Interesting watching a Leon Bailey interview (someone i wanted to sell last summer btw) as im able to break down the patois he speaks on focusing on going far with us and proving the fans and doubters wrong, he is extremely humble believe it or not, expresses the fact that he wanted to stay here and not be disloyal to the fact we showed faith bringing him here despite being attracted to teams like arsenal and chelsea at the time. Prefers to be in Birmingham than London as he likes to stay focused by training and preparing himself rather than being distracted with partying and etc, but only parties when on holiday but focus is fully on villa 💯

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

Imagine your agent phoning to say villa are interested, you would piss your pants with excitement, Emery, the squad. Be a dream move for 99% of players.

Could we become the new Dortmund?

Mcginn, Martinez, Watkins, Bailey, Konsa, Pau, Kamara, Luiz

We must do everything to ensure none of the above are sold this summer

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Mcginn, Martinez, Watkins, Bailey, Konsa, Pau, Kamara, Luiz

We must do everything to ensure none of the above are sold this summer

Pau aside selling one of those is pretty much pure 3 letter abbreviation profit … if one goes so be it 

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness.

I'm pretty sure none of us thought we " needed " a Left Back when we signed Moreno or " needed " a random Championship player with average stats when we signed Rogers.

Both proved pivotal in the respective seasons we signed them.

Bare in mind, there will defo be a bigger picture plan.

And most importantly... this could be absolute bollox.

Again Rogers' average stats is kind of a myth. He was 99th percentile for expected assists and was a physical monster who is only 21. He was also very good at receiving the ball from deep positions for a winger too. 

Also we did only have 1 lb when we signed moreno as augustinson went back in January.

Baena statistically is good not amazing. 85th percentile for xA which is impressive but his finishing is OK but not great, defensively he's very poor, and he's not a great carrier of the ball and his overall ball retention isn't great either. Imo he really isn't the type of player we need, as Tielemans and him fill a fairly similar role in terms of being a high volume playmaker and elite passer but Tielemans is more versatile, stronger defensively and a bigger goal threat (even though he hit the post like 4 times this season). Buendia is also fairly comparable statistically to baena. Baena is a fair bit better than Buendia attacking but obviously Buendia is really good defensively and the difference between their expected assists is not that significant either.

Plus I don't really know where we would play him? LM, then what about Ramsey and Rogers, maybe as the CAM? But again we have Tielemans, Mcginn, Diaby who can play there. 

And that is basically equal to our record fee we certainly wouldn't be signing him to be a sub in our best lineups. I'd worry that signing him would mean Ramsey is on the move. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Who said anything about replacing cash??

You said 25-30 mil on a RB. And Konsa is preferred as RB over cash too. Him being 3rd choice would be terrible for his value. So if we did sign a new RB we should sell cash. Digne is different because he still has way more book value it's very hard to make it make that much sense unless we get 20 mil for digne.

Ok I’ve done some homework and I’m about to show my work. 

Looking at the way Unai likes to generally set up I think right now if everyone is fit our best starting 11 is:

Emi

Cash Konsa Pau Digne 

Kamara Luiz

Bailey Tielemans McGinn

Watkins

Back up:

Gk Olsen, Gauci

LB Moreno

LCB Mings (I’m leaving Hause out)

RCB Carlos, Chambers

RB Nedeljkovic, KHH

DM ? Tim Dendonker

B2B 

LM Ramsey

AM Rodgers, Buendia

RM Diaby

ST Duran

I know this is a very simple way to look at it and of course players can cover multiple positions but it think it shows where we need reinforcements.

I'd be targeting a DM to play in place of Karama until he comes back and a B2B mid to push Luiz. I’d also be looking at a proven starter at RB and I’d expected Digne to go so a good standard cover at LB. 

The last area is look at is an aerially dominant RCB. Not to play every game but someone we can bring on if we’re playing an Everton type team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Soler and Baena would be an amazing start to the window. Some quality depth

Man I really do not think so they aren't the profile of player we need. Certainly not both of them. I'd much prefer a very skilled carrier of the ball especially in tight spaces. Imo it's the one thing we lack in attack. Bailey and Rogers/Ramsey are very good at carrying the ball out wide and into the final third. But very rarely if ever do you see them dancing through defenders into the box to create an opportunity vs the keeper 1 on 1. We really need a player like that imo. It helps keep defences honest.

Tielemans, Luiz and Mcginn can all play incisive passes from outside the box and deep. And Buendia has good ability at that too. And that's really baenas skillset. 

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Just for der schitzengiggels, what would folk think of getting Jack back on loan next season?

No.  Has Chelsea written all over it though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Ok I’ve done some homework and I’m about to show my work. 

Looking at the way Unai likes to generally set up I think right now if everyone is fit our best starting 11 is:

Emi

Cash Konsa Pau Digne 

Kamara Luiz

Bailey Tielemans McGinn

Watkins

Back up:

Gk Olsen, Gauci

LB Moreno

LCB Mings (I’m leaving Hause out)

RCB Carlos, Chambers

RB Nedeljkovic, KHH

DM ? Tim Dendonker

B2B 

LM Ramsey

AM Rodgers, Buendia

RM Diaby

ST Duran

I know this is a very simple way to look at it and of course players can cover multiple positions but it think it shows where we need reinforcements.

I'd be targeting a DM to play in place of Karama until he comes back and a B2B mid to push Luiz. I’d also be looking at a proven starter at RB and I’d expected Digne to go so a good standard cover at LB. 

The last area is look at is an aerially dominant RCB. Not to play every game but someone we can bring on if we’re playing an Everton type team. 

Whilst this is a fairly good exercise I feel like it's probably best served by leaving out guys emery doesn't trust + youth. 

GK - Emi [Olsen, Gauci, Sinasalo etc]

RB - Konsa (Konsa clear first choice when Carlos is fit) [Cash] 

RCB - Carlos [Konsa, Mings] 

LCB - Pau [Mings] 

LB - Digne [Moreno] 

DM - Kamara [??] 

CM - Luiz [Tielemans, Mcginn - Clear need for depth here as takes away from attacking depth] 

RW - Bailey [Diaby] 

10 - Tielemans [Rogers, Buendia] 

LW - Mcginn [Ramsey] 

ST - Watkins [Duran] 

I expect one of the GKs we have under books to be good enough, I think once Mings is fully fit he will start plenty of games at RCB when Konsa is at RB as when he's on the ball in that situation it's more like the middle of a back 3. 

We have great depth for the 3 behind Watkins as every one of the players can play in every position across the attacking line the three giving us 7 for 3 positions. 

We lack midfield depth massively though. To replace Luiz we have to weaken our attacking line. Say rotate Tielemans in for Luiz in Cup competitions well that means he'll either be playing extra games or he can't play in the league. Not an ideal scenario. And we have zero replacement for Kamara other than playing Luiz in a role he is ill suited to. He can be a DM in a midfield 3 like when he had hourihane and Mcginn to support him at the end of our first prem season, he only had to defend the table where his lack of mobility was less of a challenge. 

Right now we have no option to play 3 in midfield, if we want to play a box midfield like we did vs City and Arsenal in the early season we have no ability to rotate either. We need to sign a CDM and B2B ideally a B2B who is more capable as a CDM than Luiz. With pace and physicality. 

Edited by MotoMkali

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Just for der schitzengiggels, what would folk think of getting Jack back on loan next season?

Maybe if we still thought old Jack was in there where he could dribble up the baseline with ease. But he never attempts that anymore and that was where most of his creation was done. Also he's basically the ideal pep player right now in terms of control. He's probably the single most defensive player pep has in terms of his ability to just keep the ball away from opponents and slow the game down. He does very little going forward these days but he kills games as soon as city have a 1 goal advantage. 

18 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There was too many stories at the end he was lax around training and things were moved to accommodate him. He constantly talked us down without meaning to, but he'd see a move back he's coming back to be main man at the club.

Nah. It's all about Unai, and I don't think they match up well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Sometimes “contactless” is exactly how I would describe his defending. 

and the 'Cash back' when he appears to be going forward and then doesn't 

Â