Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

46 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

JJ who? I wouldn't be upset for a second if we can get a decent price.

Some would differ from that opinion. Myself, I have a soft spot for "Our Own" but as sad as I would be to see him go, Rodgers would provide the sliver lining. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some would differ from that opinion. Myself, I have a soft spot for "Our Own" but as sad as I would be to see him go, Rodgers would provide the sliver lining. 

Then if Rogers has an injury plagued season through no fault of his own, and doesn't reach the heights he has shown he can because of it, do we then prepare to sell and replace him asap as well?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rich_H said:

So does our little Emi, can’t wait to have him back for those

I’d happily sell Buendia when fit, don’t think he’s been very good whatsoever given the outlay …

Baena was the one I wanted over Pino & Chuckwueze when we were being linked to every Villarreal player. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, imavillan said:

Monchi was at the Barcelona Valencia game last night.

Translation below. No idea how credible this bloke is but I doubt we'd be after Raphina though

⚠️ ATTENTION #EXCLUSIVA #LCDC⚠️
@javitarre#Monchi , DT of #AstonVilla was yesterday in #Montjuic appreciating #BarçaValencia .

Also not only that. The English club would be willing to offer 55M € + 10M variables for #RAPHINHA

Think it’s just a case of *insert random players name here… could’ve been watching Valencia’s Yarek Gasiorowski who plays LCB as well as LB https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/yarek-gasiorowski-valencias-teenage-gem-in-defense/  or 

Javi Guerra https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/javi-guerra-valencias-teenage-gem-in-midfield/

Or Fermin Lopez for Barca … who knows and doubt it would be Raphina 

Edited by thabucks

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Then if Rogers has an injury plagued season through no fault of his own, and doesn't reach the heights he has shown he can because of it, do we then prepare to sell and replace him asap as well?

Nicely put.

Wouldn’t sell either but… if a choice had to be made, I would rather sell Rogers than Ramsey.

Find it crazy how so many are willing and even eager to move JJ on (also when his value is as low as it could be(!!), will skyrocket once he’s fit and firing again, many have forgotten how good he was and is, the injury is no fault of his own) and so hyped up about Rogers so quickly and to the extent that they believe he is a replacement or even better!

Madness. We are becoming quite fickle indeed.

Let’s not even go into the Dougie nonsense again 😆

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Selling Ramsey would be a huge disappointment, when he gets his fitness back he's going to be awesome again.

Yep and would be the worst time to sell, his value is going to soar once he’s back and lighting up games again… super talent, great lad and truly one of our own. It’s ok, Unai loves him too and has been vocal about it (posted his comments here several times)… he’s not available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Nicely put.

Wouldn’t sell either but… if a choice had to be made, I would rather sell Rogers than Ramsey.

Find it crazy how so many are willing and even eager to move JJ on (also when his value is as low as it could be(!!), will skyrocket once he’s fit and firing again, many have forgotten how good he was and is, the injury is no fault of his own) and so hyped up about Rogers so quickly and to the extent that they believe he is a replacement or even better!

Madness. We are becoming quite fickle indeed.

Let’s not even go into the Dougie nonsense again 😆

Only sell low when you are forced to..... fans seldom think its a good idea to sell a player when they are at the top of their valuation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Selling Ramsey would be a huge disappointment, when he gets his fitness back he's going to be awesome again.

As long as we keep Martinez, Konsa, Mcginn and Watkins I will be happy. Everybody else is expandable if good offer comes in.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would be happy for JJ to stay, but someone has to go to generate funds. JJ seems like the only one, of the possibiles, who could demand a hefty fee. 

Who would you choose?

It's a tricky call to make. Speaking purely financially, selling Ramsey would be pure profit which would allow for much greater flexibility in the market.

From a footballing point of view, Ramsey is particularly unique in that he is a starting calibre player, with promising potential, for us who counts as Club-trained for UEFA competition purposes.

If the determination is that the squad needs a lot of strengthening in terms of depth, I can see Ramsey being sold to make it easier to sign a larger number of players.

• Like 1

Happy to just take Fofana, Baena and Kounde now and call it a day.

Though I don't think we sign an attacker except for maybe a Striker. JJ, Rogers and a bit of Buendia probably fine on the left so not sure we move for either Baena or Nico Williams

• Like 1

Selling Luiz is also pure profit now and he’s easier to replace than Ramsey being as said above, JJ helps us with our homegrown quota. 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

As long as we keep Martinez, Konsa, Mcginn and Watkins I will be happy. Everybody else is expandable if good offer comes in.

Martinez Pau and Kamara are my three.

There is a whole bunch it makes no sense to sell for a multitude of reasons.

As a side note with Pau in the team we win 75% of games without 25%

Selling Luiz is a massive No from me. He's not in his best form at this very minute but the guy is incredible and is so important to us. I can't believe I'm seeing us discuss selling him like it might be OK?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Selling Luiz is a massive No from me. He's not in his best form at this very minute but the guy is incredible and is so important to us. I can't believe I'm seeing us discuss selling him like it might be OK?

it provides a massive profit that allows us to spend several hundred million.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't sell him but that is a good reason to accept a very high offer for him.

Posted (edited)

Don't get me wrong, I really love reading this thread, but it mostly feels academic to me until we see if we're in the champions league or not.

That said, I think I'm being stupid in that. The fact is, CL qualification will affect our needs on the pitch more than our finances (when all is said and done), so it's understandable to talk realistically now about small-scale, clever transfers, regardless of whether we qualify for the champions league.

With that in mind, my basic belief is that we need to keep two great player in every single position, if at all possible.

Fingers crossed, many of our short-term needs for this will be served by long-term injuries recovering. There will always be an X factor, too --- the shit situation (Mings' ACL) or unexpected boon (Bailey's improvement).

There are also so many variables and complications what with UEFA club co-efficients, etc, but from what I can best work out, CL or not, Villa will simply not be in a position to buy nor sell big players this summer and may need simply to tread water.

Not very exciting, but I can't see how we overcome our financial situation this year.

Sell a huge player and our performance may drop.

Buy a huge player and we risk financial fair-play jeopardy.

That, in a nutshell, is AVFC dilemma.

It's going to be a year of economising and making do. The good news we have the best management team in the world to do just that.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â