Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

Let's not underestimate the level of tactical nous required to play Emery's system.

Coaching it into a player with years of top-level experience is always going to happen quicker than a young kid, regardless of background.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Osirus said:

Not concerned about him at all, he’s got all the raw physical assets needed to play the at the top level. 

Just needs to work on the tactical aspect and become more familiar with his role/the team. 

He can only become familiar by playing.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Let's not underestimate the level of tactical nous required to play Emery's system.

Coaching it into a player with years of top-level experience is always going to happen quicker than a young kid, regardless of background.

Quite. It requires a great deal of patience and composure, which are things that often come with experience.

He's started as well if not better than Tielemans did, you can see there's a player in there. Hopefully he starts against Ajax at home when we will (should have) have more of the ball. 

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

This! Articulated better than I was going to say it too...

Let's just give the kid a chance, and trust Unai knows what he is doing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

when it was confirmed he was joining us, i watched an interview with Rogers when he left City and joined Boro.

He mentioned that he struggled at City with confidence and enjoying the game, as he found Pep's strong systematic approach not enjoyable, and he said it took some of his freedom from his game, and he didnt enjoy not being able to express himself, then he mentioned how he was loving it at Boro due to the freedom he has to express himself without much tactical restraint.

Obviously he is a little older now, he has playing time under his belt, maybe his perspective has changed, but when i saw that i just though...."you do know you are going to be playing under Emery right?......Mr Tactical System...."

Will be interesting to see how he develops under Emery, he clearly has the technical and physical abilities to succeed in the Prem, will be interesting to see how he adapts to Emery's demands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

when it was confirmed he was joining us, i watched an interview with Rogers when he left City and joined Boro.

He mentioned that he struggled at City with confidence and enjoying the game, as he found Pep's strong systematic approach not enjoyable, and he said it took some of his freedom from his game, and he didnt enjoy not being able to express himself, then he mentioned how he was loving it at Boro due to the freedom he has to express himself without much tactical restraint.

Obviously he is a little older now, he has playing time under his belt, maybe his perspective has changed, but when i saw that i just though...."you do know you are going to be playing under Emery right?......Mr Tactical System...."

Will be interesting to see how he develops under Emery, he clearly has the technical and physical abilities to succeed in the Prem, will be interesting to see how he adapts to Emery's demands.

I didn't know that, so it's good insight.

For me, there's a clear difference between Pep's almost robotic system and how Emery sends his teams out.

There's the requirement for tactical understanding and discipline, but there also seems to be a lot of trust in the individual to express themselves.

In some respects, that may be even harder. When to deploy the instructions and when to trust your instincts.

As Bailey proves, though, if you can figure it out the results are outstanding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I didn't know that, so it's good insight.

For me, there's a clear difference between Pep's almost robotic system and how Emery sends his teams out.

There's the requirement for tactical understanding and discipline, but there also seems to be a lot of trust in the individual to express themselves.

In some respects, that may be even harder. When to deploy the instructions and when to trust your instincts.

As Bailey proves, though, if you can figure it out the results are outstanding.

I'm sure Emery in that tactical interview thing he did the other day said something along the lines of 'sometimes the players have to think for themselves' so I hope/assume there he's referring to giving them some creative freedom.

Really interesting comments from Rogers though! FWIW I think he's got everything to be a very good player for us.

With JJ out, I'm picking this guy to start over Diaby and Zaniolo every time for the foreseeable. Give him a run, let's see what he can do.

Edited by Tom13

Complete guesswork on my behalf but a player of Roger's promise and talent would probably not only have license to play with freedom but may actually have the tactical approach built around him. Again I've got no insight into the situation at Middlesbrough, though if it was that way it's fairly likely he was treated like a gem on and off the pitch.

I don't really see Pep and his time at City being anything but demanding to see if he was going to cut it at the level they expect of anyone commanding minutes in the first team eleven.

• Like 1

On the ball - mint. Easy to see why Unai likes him on the left in possession. At ease taking up central positions. 

Off the ball - close your eyes

Watching the highlights back and some of the stuff he does with the ball is delightful. He’s going to be a lovely player after six months with Unai on the defensive side of the game

• Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 21:57, MaVilla said:

It's what's happened to Jack, totally destroyed what he was 🤦

On 08/03/2024 at 21:57, MaVilla said:

Don’t want to go if topic but I’ve seen enough brilliance from players at City to know that if you are good enough you can express yourself but it’s important to do it in the right areas and at the right time. It’s not acceptable to lose the ball too often.

It’s the same under Emery.

Â