Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

Just now, MaVilla said:

i thought it was up to 15m with add-ons, not 15m plus add-ons?

Ornstein said 15 mil including add ins. I think I’ve seen John Townley say 15 mil plus add ons but I’ll go with Ornstein as he’s more reliable and it sounds more realistic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Comparing our own opinions on a player we'd never seen play football before this month.

We? No. You. Perhaps others as well.

To the opinions of Unai Emery, Monchi, Mackenzie (the guy who bought Kante from the 2nd division in France) and the entire scouting and data department of a club that has assembled a top 4 squad on a fraction of the budget of the Big 6. 

Mackenzie has left. (Been 10 years since that transfer, shouldn't he have another mantlepiece trophy by now?)

We're comparing those two opinions and believe we are right and they are wrong. Your ability to compare Philogene to Rogers isn't relevant. 

Just a fan posting an opinion on a fan forum, no need to wheel out the pompous declarations.

If a chef told you their shit tasted good I don't think you'd gobble it up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i thought it was up to 15m with add-ons, not 15m plus add-ons?

Ah ok then, not as bad.

He's not the player I'd have gone for at that price but Emery has done wonders here so I'll trust him.

• Like 1

£15m is January prices. We're overpaying because Emery thinks he's ready for game time with us and we need some added attacking depth 

Brighton bought Webster for £20m in 2019. £15m for homegrown player tax is not crazy in 2024

Just because some players like JPB visually seem better and more exciting i doesn’t mean they fit a system better otherwise Bertrand Traore would be starting every game for Villa over the likes of Bailey , Diaby, Watkins.The recruitment team clearly see that this young man fits within our plans.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

All valid points. But i was not claiming i am right and Emery is wrong.  i was asking what has Emery seen that i havent. Looking for answers from the forum. 

Yes, it's a very interesting transfer for sure. Right out of the blue. He's someone that has every raw material you can't teach for sure.

They're banking on the lad being malleable - no reason why he isn't. Played plenty of men's football at a young age as well, that's always a positive.

Players should be desperate to come and learn under Unai. If they aren't, I question their approach to professional football to be honest.

Very exciting if this is a success because in all likelihood we'd have got him for next to nothing had Monchi been here 6 months earlier.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tinker said:

Rogers played against us on the 6th of Jan, he must have impressed Emery on that occasion, maybe he was difficult for us to deal with, I did watch the game but didn't notice him tbh but borough was a tough nut to crack.

Just so you know, about half a year minimum goes into scouting a player before a club would get to the point of bidding for them. The fact we played Boro is just incidental 

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, it's a very interesting transfer for sure. Right out of the blue. He's someone that has every raw material you can't teach for sure.

They're banking on the lad being malleable - no reason why he isn't. Played plenty of men's football at a young age as well, that's always a positive.

Players should be desperate to come and learn under Unai. If they aren't, I question their approach to professional football to be honest.

Very exciting if this is a success because in all likelihood we'd have got him for next to nothing had Monchi been here 6 months earlier.

Right out of the blue? 😅 It's been talked about all window 

A lot of money for someone who has such a short track record but Monchi and Unai will have seen more than us and are paid lots of money for good reason to make these calls. 

Fwiw the looks flipping brilliant in the video below got a bit of Ramsey, Buendia and Watkins in him which could be a great mix if he can make the step up.

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the moan is, we are fighting for top 4 and shopping in Aldi while the likes of Brentford are shopping in Waitrose.

I just hope its FFP related.

How is Belgian league much better than Championship? I'd never heard of Nusa until 5 mins ago. £25m for a player from league on par or below Championship seems bad value using logic in this thread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the moan is, we are fighting for top 4 and shopping in Aldi while the likes of Brentford are shopping in Waitrose.

We did our big Waitrose shop in the summer with Diaby and Pau Torres, just picking up a few bits from Aldi now is fine. I’m sure the big shop will be back to Waitrose in the summer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A lot of money for someone who has such a short track record but Monchi and Unai will have seen more than us and are paid lots of money for good reason to make these calls. 

Fwiw the looks flipping brilliant in the video below got a bit of Ramsey, Buendia and Watkins in him which could be a great mix if he can make the step up.

I think the bolded is exactly why they’re pursuing him. He is the type of player that can play in different roles in Unai’s system. 

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

10 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

We did our big Waitrose shop in the summer with Diaby and Pau Torres, just picking up a few bits from Aldi now is fine. I’m sure the big shop will be back to Waitrose in the summer. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Thank you. Just watched his half season video and he reminds me most of JJ maybe with a little more clever creativity. Looks powerful and quick with the ball to me. Will be an interesting one for sure 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

£15m is absolutely nothing these days. 

It adds up quickly.  Still a decent amount for a Championship player whose football CV looks slightly above average. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Getting value for money rather than some disappointing brand, like it.

I'm assuming this is a moneyball buy. They're seeing something in the stats that they think when mixed in with the rest of our squad show us a significant benefit to some under the radar stat they believe in.

Things don't have to seem obvious on paper for them to work in practice. Our recruitment team aren't dumb.

• Like 1

Â