The Villa Plastic Superfantastic Thread

Marka Ragnos

All clubs want to have as many fans as possible. We are no different. Just because you've supported a team for 20 years doesn't make you better than anyone else. Some fans aren't as fanatical as others, it doesn't make them inferior. 

• Like 1

We'll attract masses more fans in the Midlands now, naturally, providing this is sustained over several seasons. Those who would have supported Man U, Chelsea etc for glory may now be on board with the family member who supports Villa. 

If you think over the last 10 seasons our average league position has been about 18th in the Premier league? 

Things like people's fantasy teams are now full of villa players, that drives so much interest, alongside social media. 

• Like 2

of course we want them. spurs' stadium is full every week (despite games at the old ground regularly going general sale) because of the 'plastics' that come over from korea to see son play and drop £200 in the club shop before the game

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

of course we want them. spurs' stadium is full every week (despite games at the old ground regularly going general sale) because of the 'plastics' that come over from korea to see son play and drop £200 in the club shop before the game

And I'll bet there are old hardcore Spurs fans who are looking at them and muttering "Where were you when we were shit?" I've spoken to lifelong Manchester City fans who feel the same ambivalence. But that's the Faustian pact -  it comes with success, and I'm sure we'd all rather win trophies than be puttering along in the lower leagues, consoling ourselves that at least we're 'authentic'. I've been there and done that, I'd like a bit of glory again now, if that's all right. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

It’s inevitable. In fact it’s an active target for Heck and the club. Plastic fans are precisely what they mean with “driving commercial revenue.”

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And I'll bet there are old hardcore Spurs fans who are looking at them and muttering "Where were you when we were shit?" I've spoken to lifelong Manchester City fans who feel the same ambivalence. But that's the Faustian pact -  it comes with success, and I'm sure we'd all rather win trophies than puttering along in the lower leagues, consoling ourselves that at least we're 'authentic'. I've been there and done that, I'd like a bit of glory again now, if that's all right. 

the spurs fans i know say yes you do get people complaining about them (some literally film son for 90 mins apparently and watch none of the game) but they get that the stadium would have a notable amount of empty seats without them

• Like 1

Unless we have more 'world stars' like martinez, or are regularly in the top 3, the 'new fans' will be people who are from a country we sign a player from, like trez or samatta. That's how arsenal have a big African following thanks to players like kanu.

So if we get lots of 'new fans' then it will mean we are doing great, or signed samatta and trez again 

Edited by brummybloke

Being more popular wouldn’t be all bad…I might stop getting asked if I’m wearing a West Ham kit 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Hornso
  • Haha 2

Years ago I was in Malaysia and wandering around the street markets that seemed to consist of every other stall selling replica shirts.

As I looked through one of the racks filled with the usual sky scum 6 and Barcelona etc etc, I asked the stall holder "have you got any Aston Villa shirts?"....

He replied "we only sell good teams shirts here!".... 

Mind you this was back in 2016....so he had a point I suppose 😊

Its happening here.

My lady met one at her store, a kid wearing a Villa top, and she got excited and tried to speak Villan with him. It turned out he just bought the shirt over the intynet, and had not much idea what she was talking about.

I have nothing against them, because if you are not a Birmingham pureblood, we all have to start somewhere. At least a seed has been sown, and as long as it is encouraged and nurtured, hopefully it can take root and they stick with us, instead of jumping to Man City until they are kicked out of the league, and then jumping on to someone else.

• Like 1

Â