Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Middlesbrough v Villa

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/24 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Podster said:

I have seen many comments from people saying we dont need to buy any players in this window, as what we have is good enough.

The performance today, against a low standard team, for me shows that we clearly have no second string.

Cash scored a lucky goal, that was not going anywhere but for the deflection.

We have a great first 11, and a few that can play well off the bench, but today showed that we need more quality players to choose from so we can give our top players a propper rest .

We are still in 3 competitions and we should not have to bring players that were supposed to be rested off the bench like we did today because those on the pitch couldnt get the job done, otherwise, before the end of the season some players are going to be so knackered that our results suffer. 

The shot was on target until it hit his arse.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone know what happens next now we've won an FA Cup game? 

I should be able to help you there, but unfortunately my memory isn't great these days. 😀

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Always looked comfortable, some players still waaay off at the moment

Ramsey

Diabi

Unfortunately Ramsey being off it makes moreno look off it, no outside movement from Ramsey who was always going inside meant no overlaps for moreno.

But we won, and players got a rest.

Got to be happy (relieved as well).

I thought Ramsey was much better today.  He made a few excellent runs with the ball down the flank and his link-ups with Moreno were looking pretty good.  Maybe not quite back to his best but I don't think he was waay off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, allani said:

I thought Ramsey was much better today.  He made a few excellent runs with the ball down the flank and his link-ups with Moreno were looking pretty good.  Maybe not quite back to his best but I don't think he was waay off.

He's improving,  just needs to shoot and and cross with venom when he gets a half chance, hes not the only one.

Against teams that aren't going to punish you for losing possession we need to take more chances, losing possession in these games isn't going to hurt you like it does against the better teams. Cash showed us how to break these teams down, get it in the mixer, recycle and do it again. 

• Like 1

I desperately wanted that Zaniolo shot to go in.  What a worldie that would have been, to go with his debut 35 yard bar shot and the overhead kick he almost got.

So unlucky.

• Like 2

Yes I agree on the comments above about Ramsey, not firing on all cylinders but I thought there was little signs today he's getting up to speed.

Thought the backing were our better players, alongside Kamara.

Wasn't a great game, lacked fluidity, but never felt we were going to lose that, and it should have been wrapped up way before it was. That being down to their keeper, the post and the referee giving us nothing.

I expected us to field a much weakened team but pleased we went with what we did and nice to be into the 4th round. Hopefully a favourable draw and a good cup run on the cards 🤞

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Always looked comfortable, some players still waaay off at the moment

Ramsey

Diabi

Unfortunately Ramsey being off it makes moreno look off it, no outside movement from Ramsey who was always going inside meant no overlaps for moreno.

But we won, and players got a rest.

Got to be happy (relieved as well).

He's struggling from a lack of space in the middle (and some rust). He never was a left winger after all.

We need a RB who can work with intricate one-twos and play a ball through the lines. 

Cash is doing his best Neil Taylor impression of cutting back every single time he gets the ball. 

He did hit a couple of glorious crossfields to Moreno though that were 👌

In terms of beating the low block, again, we created enough chances to get a couple of goals:

Moreno penalty

Diaby's miskick from in front of goal

Konsa's header onto the post

Moreno's volley

McGinn and Zaniolo long range efforts.

It seems we're not converting well enough at the minute. Against teams with a low block, it's easy to say we need a number 10 to 'pick the lock', but in reality you'll never have a tonne of chances against two defensive banks...you just have to take them when they occur. 

Edited by May-Z
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, we won, that's great, but very worrying performance. The word is out on how to stop Villa. It won't just be weaker teams to do this. It will be exploited by strong teams against us, too. We need to close down this window lessee opposition are using. 

Wacko, can’t wait to see Man C and Liverpool playing the low block against us. That will be the ultimate compliment. 

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

We need a RB who can work with intricate one-twos and play a ball through the lines. 

Cash is doing his best Neil Taylor impression of cutting back every single time he gets the ball. 

He did he a couple of glorious crossfields to Moreno though that were 👌

In terms of beating the low block, again, we created enough chances to get a couple of goals:

Duran's three shots that elicited three good saves.

Moreno penalty

Diaby's miskick from in front of goal

Konsa's header onto the post

Moreno's volley

McGinn and Zaniolo long range efforts.

It seems we're not converting well enough at the minute. Against teams with a low block, it's easy to say we need a number 10 to 'pick the lock', but in reality you'll never have a tonne of chances against two defensive banks...you just have to take them when they occur. 

FIFY

• Like 1

In days of old if we played a team from a lower division  they caused us problems , today the outcome was never in doubt we bossed the ball without even getting out of first gear … a nice training game for the players before back to business in the league

only negative was the lack of goals and breaking down a team with 11 men behind the ball again 

ref was on drugs though how did we end up with 5 yellow cards and how did he miss the pen on Moreno 

Villa were the better team and played like it.

The thing I am not sure about is when Villa brings the play to slow motion in front of the low block is the team following Emery's instructions or is there a lack of ability (whatever) to play the ball more quickly?

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 3

Â