Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Middlesbrough v Villa

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/24 at 23:59

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Difficult, as expected. Very happy to win after such a long time. 

I see many voted for Kamara, but all he did was defend, and was decent at it. Made mistakes again like every game.

That is the main function of his job.....someone has to do it, and we haven't got many, who are proficient at it....fortunately for us, he is.

away from home, in a Cup game, at a partisan ground with a clean sheet.....sounds like a good job done to me.

If everyone assigns themselves to attack....we are wide open.

Defending, will be a big feature, for the rest of the seasons fixtures....as we have proved, we can score in nearly every game.

keeping teams out....is what will bring us the prizes......IMO

2 hours ago, TRO said:

That is the main function of his job.....someone has to do it, and we haven't got many, who are proficient at it....fortunately for us, he is.

away from home, in a Cup game, at a partisan ground with a clean sheet.....sounds like a good job done to me.

If everyone assigns themselves to attack....we are wide open.

Defending, will be a big feature, for the rest of the seasons fixtures....as we have proved, we can score in nearly every game.

keeping teams out....is what will bring us the prizes......IMO

You're right ofcourse, but in a game against mid-level championship team defending is not so hard.to do. Our beat player should be an offensive player. That's why I gave it to Cash 😀

Part of me still strangely uneasy about this match. First time I felt under Unai like we had a serious problem that we haven’t been able to resolve. The fact is, we barely won. That’s just the facts. 

But we do have so many key injuries. It’s piling up. Some players in to cover people injured are themselves injured.

Keeping thinking of this: “But even now there is hope left. I will not give you counsel, saying do this or do that. for not in doing or contriving, nor in choosing between this course and another, can I avail; but only in knowing what was and is, and in part what shall be. But this I will say to you: your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the Company is true.”

Gotta stay positive, but jeez — that was still too close!

It wasn't a classic but finally got the 3rd round cup win. You could question the starting line up but I understand the need to rest key players. Duran was the big concern. Did not look interested at all. He has regressed since the start of the season. We are so dependent on Watkins, we need a suitable backup up ideally this January or certainly the summer. Really only Martinez, Konsa, and Kamarra were on it in the starting XI. McgInn looked knackered, Kanarra carried him tbh.  We were 6/10 at best but we should have put the game to bed earlier but Boro's keeper had a blinder. I shall look forward to being drawn against Manchester United away tomorrow. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Part of me still strangely uneasy about this match. First time I felt under Unai like we had a serious problem that we haven’t been able to resolve. The fact is, we barely won. That’s just the facts. 

But we do have so many key injuries. It’s piling up. Some players in to cover people injured are themselves injured.

Keeping thinking of this: “But even now there is hope left. I will not give you counsel, saying do this or do that. for not in doing or contriving, nor in choosing between this course and another, can I avail; but only in knowing what was and is, and in part what shall be. But this I will say to you: your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the Company is true.”

Gotta stay positive, but jeez — that was still too close!

We weren't at our best, but still Duran had two really good shots that their keeper made brilliant saves on, Konsa hit the post, a couple of half chances that could as well have gone in. So we could as well have gotten a few more goals and then it would have felt more secure.

Considering we played Lenglet (thought he was good), big Donk, Cash and Duran, also with Ramsey and Moreno just about starting to get up to speed, I think it's understandable that we didn't look that good.

Most importantly for me, without Luiz and Tielemans we lack our main passing assets in the middle of the pitch, Luiz is hugely important to the way we play. He is the only one of our central midfielders who is top class at passing. Tielemans comes close to it. Without them we more rely on Kamara or McGinn to kind of hit a pass in the channel and hope someone will run at it. Big Donk we barely have to mention in this aspect (though I think he is great defensively and reads the game superbly).

• Thanks 1

We were away, and lacked that zip in our play, but we totally controlled the game. Its much easier top sit and defend with little intent of attack than try and break down an 11 man defence. As has been pointed out, the stats (and the eye test) illustrates a dominant performance which is ultimately what you want and hope the goals follow: 12 shots, 6 on target, 12 corners, 62% possession [away from home], 90% passing accuracy. On another day could have been 4 or 5 nil with better luck then everything looks rosy. 

Our performances are on another level these days, that was a second string but it made for comfortable viewing, we are in such a better place on all matters these days.

The biggest takeaway was minutes for Moreno and Ramsey, and I suppose Duran, but also the return of Kamara. The holy Trinity of Kamara, Pau and Luiz is the heart beat of this team, the sooner we get that back the better....

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 14.52.19.png

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Â