Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Middlesbrough v Villa

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/24 at 23:59

I think the goal we scored is something we're going to see a bit more of and I think Cash alluded to that after the game.

One way to beat a compact defence is to shoot from distance and while it's not a high percentage approach you can draw defenders out and create space with it.

And we've been sucker punched by deflected goals from outside the area several times this season. Good to get one of our own.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

I think the goal we scored is something we're going to see a bit more of and I think Cash alluded to that after the game.

One way to beat a compact defence is to shoot from distance and while it's not a high percentage approach you can draw defenders out and create space with it.

And we've been sucker punched by deflected goals from outside the area several times this season. Good to get one of our own.

It's where I hope Tielemans and Zaniolo show us what they can do in that respect. 

10 hours ago, May-Z said:

Cash is doing his best Neil Taylor impression of cutting back every single time he gets the ball. 

That really did begin to grate on me. 

An haircut wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I desperately wanted that Zaniolo shot to go in.  What a worldie that would have been, to go with his debut 35 yard bar shot and the overhead kick he almost got.

So unlucky.

What a goal like that would do for this lad's confidence. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That really did begin to grate on me. 

An haircut wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

It's become so predictable now.

Re: the haircut... just before the Ings bicycle kick against Newcastle, I think the wet weather exposed why he has to have it long brushed backwards. #TransplantIncoming

It was hilarious hearing the whole crowd take a sharp intake of breath at the same time when it flashed up on screen 😆

Screenshot_20240107-095322~2.png

• Like 1

It’s disappointing that teams feel the need to play that way against us. When one teams intention is to kill the game as a spectacle, as was clearly their intention from the off when they picked 5 at the back. A formation they’d not been playing.

I guess we’ve got to see it as a sign of how far we’ve come that teams like this feel they can’t match up against us and that’s their only way to get anything.

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Wacko, can’t wait to see Man C and Liverpool playing the low block against us. That will be the ultimate compliment. 

I bet City wish they had done. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, May-Z said:

We need a RB who can work with intricate one-twos and play a ball through the lines. 

Cash is doing his best Neil Taylor impression of cutting back every single time he gets the ball. 

He did hit a couple of glorious crossfields to Moreno though that were 👌

In terms of beating the low block, again, we created enough chances to get a couple of goals:

Moreno penalty

Diaby's miskick from in front of goal

Konsa's header onto the post

Moreno's volley

McGinn and Zaniolo long range efforts.

It seems we're not converting well enough at the minute. Against teams with a low block, it's easy to say we need a number 10 to 'pick the lock', but in reality you'll never have a tonne of chances against two defensive banks...you just have to take them when they occur. 

Same issues as with Burnley really, even though we scored three. We missed a lot of good chances which would have killed the game off and we do need to get our scoring boots on a bit more against these ultra-defensive sides.

• Like 1

Konsa MOTM for me, quite a few times he was the last man and just snuffed out the danger before a chance could get created. 

Somewhat disjointed, even after the 4 subs. Good cameo from Zaniolo even though from that two foot lunge it looks like he's still trying too hard. Could have been a disaster that. Diaby looked off the pace again when he came on. Duran hit a couple of great left footed shots and fluffed one. He was alright though mostly, maybe coming deep a bit to much looking for the ball. Bailey hot and cold, Ramsey showed some signs of improvement but he's a way off it still. 

Good win in the end despite the problems, shame we missed so many chances, had Konsa's header gone in off the post instead of straight back out then we might have won 2 or 3. Hats off to Boro, incredibly well organised and they played a near perfect game really.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s disappointing that teams feel the need to play that way against us. When one teams intention is to kill the game as a spectacle, as was clearly their intention from the off when they picked 5 at the back. A formation they’d not been playing.

I guess we’ve got to see it as a sign of how far we’ve come that teams like this feel they can’t match up against us and that’s their only way to get anything.

There's no way on Earth if I was manager of a team I knew man for man could not compete in an open game of football that I'd try and play the other team off the park. No-one in their right mind would. It's disappointing when a team *could* come out and play and get a result but decide to shut the game down and try and win 1-0. Not for Boro though, how they played was their only chance fo getting through and it nearly worked.

17 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Stick your low block up your arse Boro.

Look forward to playing Manure at old trafford in the fourth round.

we've had enough practice.

17 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Don’t care if it was cack, hard work, lucky, undeserved, fortunate or **** whatever.

Scraped a 1-0 and in the hat, I’ll take it

I liked the clean sheet.....find that bit, very satisfying.

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

Good result. Now get on the bus and get the f*ck out of there.

I've never minded Boro, despite them poaching players from us over the years. Would rather see them back in the PL than Leeds or West Brom, etc.

Always had a soft spot for Boro, since they beat Ipswich, and we won the league, in 1981.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Kamara MOTM. Job done but we need to stop dwelling so much in possession. Several players lost the ball multiple times just holding the ball too long. We need to move the ball quicker even if not forward. 

players off the ball, are not mobile enough to provide options for the man in possession.

We have to be quicker in thought.

17 hours ago, villanmac said:

Played fine, Their keeper was MOTM , Martinez had **** all to do and we controlled the whole game.

I though he had a good game.

some of these championship keepers, could make good cover for Emi.....thought Muric of Burnley looked decent too.

17 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Did I imagine it or was McGinn pissed off with someone coming off? I don't think it was the manager.

you're not imagining it....he was pissed off with something. I don't think it was the manager either.

Â