New YearsFootball 1/2 January

andykeenan

I can't stand Liverpool fans. They've booed every decision that went against them, howled every time one of their players was fairly challenged, and harangued a ref who I thought has been good. The entitlement has rubbed off on the players too. The fans are so one eyed and biased.

Not to go all Keegan, but I'd love it if they lost now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because the ref played the advantage, the attack wasn’t stopped…. Or something 

This is the correct application of the rules when the yellow card offence is stopping a promising attack

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just can't **** believe that with all the money in the game they're making decisions based on images like this

UrW32uK.png

Compressed like a video on a PS1 game in 1996.

VAR for offside is a nonsense. We don't have the technology to give a definitive answer like the authorities want to claim.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is the correct application of the rules when the yellow card offence is stopping a promising attack

That’s mental tbh

Just now, Chindie said:

Compressed like a video on a PS1 game in 1996.

VAR for offside is a nonsense. We don't have the technology to give a definitive answer like the authorities want to claim.

What about the tech they use in the CL? Seems pretty accurate. The Premier League just didn't want to use it for some reason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not sure how Joelinton walked off at half time without a booking - the players are getting frustrated with Taylor's slightly random interpretation of the rules on bookings, which bodes well for a second half of mayhem and menace.

I've not come across that before. We can't go back and book him as advantage was played? Is that even a thing? 

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's kind of funny how nudging the ball away is an automatic yellow but screaming in a ref's face is still up in the air depending on if you're a normal human or that Norwegian ogre.

The Luiz booking seemed overly harsh to me as "dissent".  Also, didn't Haaland get booked for his screaming thingy?

Just now, bobzy said:

The Luiz booking seemed overly harsh to me as "dissent".  Also, didn't Haaland get booked for his screaming thingy?

I was talking about the one for TAA who got one for kicking the ball maybe 5 foot away.

You're right about Haaland - thought he didn't for some reason but he did.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I've not come across that before. We can't go back and book him as advantage was played? Is that even a thing? 

Any other yellow card offence and he'd have been booked, but not for a tactical foul to stop the attack, as he didn't stop the attack.

If I wrote the rules he'd have been booked for intent, but it's not the rule, the ref got that right

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I was talking about the one for TAA who got one for kicking the ball maybe 5 foot away.

You're right about Haaland - thought he didn't for some reason but he did.

Yeah, I didn't think you were talking about the Luiz incident, it just reminded me when you said about the screaming thingy.

Clamping down on proper dissent/crowding the ref is only a good thing, though.

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What about the tech they use in the CL? Seems pretty accurate. The Premier League just didn't want to use it for some reason.

I think they are planning to use that system from next season.  They voted against it last summer as they thought it wasn’t tested enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I don't watch the CL so can't comment with any authority, but I would be surprised if they're using a system that's markedly better . Ultimately there's an issue with frame rates, resolution, etc that means any system that's based around the analysis of a still image against a line is flawed.

Â