Villa's 150th anniversary logo

ender4

Thing is, exactly how many people around the world are thinking “Gee, I want to start following a soccer team, when choosing my team I think the top criteria for me is of course the design of an anniversary club emblem.”

No one is thinking that. As such, I don’t think this badge is really trying to have a broad appeal. I just don’t think it’s very good.

Really, as it’s marking the founding of the club this was (still is?) the perfect opportunity to incorporate a gas lamp into the design. That would tie in so much better, make so much sense.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Thing is, exactly how many people around the world are thinking “Gee, I want to start following a soccer team, when choosing my team I think the top criteria for me is of course the design of an anniversary club emblem.”

No one is thinking that. As such, I don’t think this badge is really trying to have a broad appeal. I just don’t think it’s very good.

Really, as it’s marking the founding of the club this was (still is?) the perfect opportunity to incorporate a gas lamp into the design. That would tie in so much better, make so much sense.

Kind of... 

"new" younger fans being able to use that badge as avatars on social media and on various platforms and games is a thing, the digitalisation of the badge is important as is simplifying the badge as much as possible to make it more recognisable 

I doubt people are picking a club solely on the badge but it is still significant in trying to grow the fan base 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Kind of... 

"new" younger fans being able to use that badge as avatars on social media and on various platforms and games is a thing, the digitalisation of the badge is important as is simplifying the badge as much as possible to make it more recognisable 

I doubt people are picking a club solely on the badge but it is still significant in trying to grow the fan base 

I think the actual new badge is more likely to meet that cool avatar requirement. Or at least, more consideration should be given when designing that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Kind of... 

My 14 year old nephew hadn’t seen the media stuff on it so he saw it for the first time at the ground.  He asked what it was in the centre circle, said couldn’t make it out properly and once I explained he said it was awful.

I get simplifying the badge argument but that thing seems to have created more confusion than something more complex.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Kind of... 

The badge looking cool makes it more likely for an Aston Villa fan to use it on their social media, but it doesn't make a random kid in Asia or America care about Aston Villa.

To attract those fans, we need exciting star players and we need to be playing in the champions league. 

You don't have to look far to see Al-Nassr badges on social media. It's not because they have a cool badge or cool branding, it's purely because they've signed one of the best players of all time.

Selling your branding soul for new supporters doesn't work. Look at Cardiff changing their shirt colour.

No doubt that the new badge will be designed to work in social media applications, but I have no doubt that the new badge will have been designed with generational Aston Villa supporters in mind. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The badge looking cool makes it more likely for an Aston Villa fan to use it on their social media, but it doesn't make a random kid in Asia or America care about Aston Villa.

To attract those fans, we need exciting star players and we need to be playing in the champions league. 

You don't have to look far to see Al-Nassr badges on social media. It's not because they have a cool badge or cool branding, it's purely because they've signed one of the best players of all time.

Don’t really agree with this bit, using teams like the Raiders in the NFL or the former Hornets in the NBA, both teams used appealing logos and design to create a lucrative global brand apart from their relatively poor performance in their leagues. I’m not saying Villa needs to pursue that approach in the extreme- but the combination of appealing logo, color scheme and even sponsor choice play a large part in appeal to international consumers.

i understand this is not the supporter long time villa fans want to court but it’s an aspect of funding a champions league level team & can be thought of as a sort of parallel to using the academy more as a source of funding, selling on home grown talent. A focus on innovative branding is unlikely to excite traditional supporters in that same way, but some degree of that approach is likely part of owners/heck’s ideas about growing global demand/revenue.

Also I’m not saying I like this, part of what drew me, an American, more into following football many years ago was the stark contrast it drew compared to big business US sports, but that’s not really the world we live in today.

• Like 2

On 21/12/2023 at 20:02, Stevo985 said:

The colours were on the one Heck posted on twitter.

And also it's not the badge or the crest!

Why are people judging this like it's the crest? It's shit, but it's not the club badge!

I said that I would keep receipts. How are you feeling about the leaked crest now?

54 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I said that I would keep receipts. How are you feeling about the leaked crest now?

I said I was more than happy for people to be pissed off with the crest as it actually matters. 

If it ends up being like the rumours then it’ll be shit and people should rightly be angry. 

I still don’t particularly care about the AV150 logo even though it’s awful

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 19:23, Stevo985 said:

I said I was more than happy for people to be pissed off with the crest as it actually matters. 

If it ends up being like the rumours then it’ll be shit and people should rightly be angry. 

I still don’t particularly care about the AV150 logo even though it’s awful

Exactly the 150 logo is an add on for 1 season any badge that replaces the round one could be here for years.

It needs to be on point.

Ignore the "150" part for a moment (I don't think that part of the design really works)... But if you were asked to design a symbol integrating "AV", "FC" and "74" in an old-fashioned brush-script style: what would it look like?

On 23/12/2023 at 13:24, Risso said:

My mate who was at the game and doesn't look at anything online said about the big centre circle flag thing  last night "what's that supposed to say?"

A

uoU

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TB said:

Ignore the "150" part for a moment (I don't think that part of the design really works)... But if you were asked to design a symbol integrating "AV", "FC" and "74" in an old-fashioned brush-script style: what would it look like?

It wouldn’t have “A500” or “AU15” in the design. 

Â