Villa's 150th anniversary logo

ender4

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So where and how do we think this will be incorporated on the kit? (Because this is going to be on our shirts in some format).

Back of the neck as a small badge like we sometimes do with the lion?

As a sort of watermark on the front?

A sleeve patch?

What do you reckon?

Ok ****. I take it all back. 

the only positive thing about this is hopefully it means the colours are the same

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So where and how do we think this will be incorporated on the kit? (Because this is going to be on our shirts in some format).

A sleeve patch?

What do you reckon?

Nape of the neck. 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

A sleeve patch?

What do you reckon?

Instead of BK8?

8 hours ago, JPAngel said:

There's something so triggering about seeing a lion representing something that features the name Birmingham City.

I have to work there every day. It stresses me out 

Though technically it's a Liger.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Can I make a comparison?

This is Birmingham City University's logo

BCU-logo-stacked_blue.png

For their 17th anniversary they released this to commemorate it

175-press-logo-131812174985609167.jpg?au

Lots of people didn't like it. It's a bit shit. 
But it's completely separate to the actual university's colours, logo, name etc. That wasn't changed, it was completely separate.
Nobody was upset about that outside of this specific logo. This logo was just used for activities commemorating the 175th anniversary

In my opinion that's exactly what this is. I understand people thinking this 150 logo is shit. I agree with them.
What I don't understand is the anger about it. It's just a shit logo. But it's not out badge or our name or our crest or our colours. It's separate

(again, they MIGHT **** that up too. And I'll be furious. But I'll wait until that happens before I start spitting feathers)

Thanks for reminding me of work.

I've broken up and now all I see is that frigging Liger.

I hate you man.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

People are triggered by it because it’s just completely shit and gives zero confidence that the badge is going to be what we all want it to be. 

It’s also deeply worrying because apparently this is what our President Business is supposed to be the best in the world at and he dishes up something that even a 4 year old would be ashamed of. 

Or our expert in this kind of thing dishes up something that us fans who aren't experts don't like... 

Personally I just want it all over with, stop **** about, stop consultations and endless murmurings, shit or get off the can 

And then move on to bringing on board our official north American pallet truck partner who pay us £2m a year to have their logo next to our new badge 

But, but, but……. it’s only a device/mark/blah blah for flyers etc etc Some made the argument that the AV150 mark was of little significance in the big scheme of things. Yet as we saw it was very prominent at last nights game.

Imho it bodes badly for our club crest next year and I do not trust Heck… I think he is on an ego trip thinking: ‘I know better….’

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

But, but, but……. it’s only a device/mark/blah blah for flyers etc etc Some made the argument that the AV150 mark was of little significance in the big scheme of things. Yet as we saw it was very prominent at last nights game.

Imho it bodes badly for our club crest next year and I do not trust Heck… I think he is on an ego trip thinking: ‘I know better….’

Bang on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Or our expert in this kind of thing dishes up something that us fans who aren't experts don't like... 

I’d rewrite that as

Or our expert in knowing what us, his client base like, dishes up something that us, his clients, who are experts knowing what we like, don’t like it... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d rewrite that as

Or our expert in knowing what us, his client base like, dishes up something that us, his clients, who are experts knowing what we like, don’t like it... 

Which would lead to the question is he doing it for us? And the answer is probably going to be no 

There's a sad reality coming that heck is going to make changes that aren't in an attempt at winning over season ticket holders and life long fans, it will be aimed at new people and markets 

We might be his client but we're not his target audience 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep agreed, knows that we are going nowhere so no need to tailor to us.  Just a bit of lip service to calm down any blow back, a few cliche lines and then focus back on new clients and new markets.  Coming from the business world myself, I’m not surprised and in fact it needs to be done to bring more revenue in but still sucks being the old fan.  I could almost take it if it was just better quality rather than looking like a 4 year old did it.

Edited by nick76

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Personally I just want it all over with, stop **** about, stop consultations and endless murmurings, shit or get off the can 

And then move on to bringing on board our official north American pallet truck partner who pay us £2m a year to have their logo next to our new badge 

You are categorically not an expert in design or branding if you serve up something this crap that even a blind dog would know is shite. It calls into question the very reason why some may have considered the guy an expert in the first place. 

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which would lead to the question is he doing it for us? And the answer is probably going to be no 

There's a sad reality coming that heck is going to make changes that aren't in an attempt at winning over season ticket holders and life long fans, it will be aimed at new people and markets 

I'm not too sure about that. Sports branding 101 is that you're not trying to win over new fans, you're trying to drive engagement from people who are already fans.

We gain new fans by winning. We unlock new markets by playing in Europe and having star players. Branding isn't about that, it's about engaging existing supporters. We could have the greatest badge and shirt combination ever seen and it's not attracting new fans in any significant number. We only do that by winning.

Fortunately we can look at the previous rebrand that Heck led and see that it was very strongly geared towards the existing 76ers fanbase. He didn't worry about the oversaturation of red white and blue in the US market, he used the colours that resonated with the fanbase. He didn't give them a slick, overly modern design, he played into the historic, traditional uniform aesthetic of the Doctor J era. He brought the classic identity of the team into the modern era. How he approached the 76ers rebrand is what makes me confident that he'll get this right.

Some of the vitriol surrounding a one-off 150th year logo is way over the top. The biggest takeaway should be the colours, something that has been complained about for my entire time on this forum, it looks like he's listened and got them right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Fortunately we can look at the previous rebrand that Heck led and see that it was very strongly geared towards the existing 76ers fanbase. He didn't worry about the oversaturation of red white and blue in the US market, he used the colours that resonated with the fanbase. He didn't give them a slick, overly modern design, he played into the historic, traditional uniform aesthetic of the Doctor J era. He brought the classic identity of the team into the modern era. How he approached the 76ers rebrand is what makes me confident that he'll get this right.

This sounds like exactly the process we went through to get this seasons badge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The problem with new people and new markets for this piece, is that if he's using it as a way to leverage our history and our anniversary as a way to generate interest that he can monetise, it's almost impossible for new people to figure that out.

It doesn't say Aston Villa - it maybe, just about says 50, or 150, or 1500 - and there's a big A at the top and a sort of V at the end of the second line that could be a zero. For new people it doesn't tell you anything - if you see it in context, perhaps on the big circle at Villa Park, you might think "oh, that's something Villa related, I wonder what it means" and go and find out - but no one who doesn't already know will look at that and think "Ah yes, Aston Villas 150th anniversary year".

It's like a guerrilla marketing piece where there are no clues so you're supposed to click on it out of curiosity and then maybe there will be more clues.

• Like 4

Â