Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Just now, East London Villa said:

Positives: The scoreline. We still have 11 players on the pitch. Look dangerous on our rare attacks. Doulas Luiz with delivery of the season.

Negatives: Pretty much everything else. Comprehensively outrun and outplayed. Defence all over the place. Giving it back within 5 seconds in midfield. Build up play disastrous by our usual standards. Cash Kamara McGinn need to get into Spurs but they are all on yellows now, treading a tight rope. Went 1-0 down away from home yet again. Poor set piece defending leads to another goal from outside the box, exactly like Szoboszlai against Liverpool.

Can only hope that Emery has a new plan for after half time. We have Tielemans Bailey Ramsey Duran as options to change the game from the bench. Let's hope Spurs intensity can't last the full game and we can pick ours up because there is a chasm right now.

The stat about how much more spurs have ran annoyed me but then I suppose the is the possibility they run themselves out. Not sure if they keep the work rate up over 90 minutes because I only watch Villa usually 

In terms of replacing Cash, I guess the natural replacement at the moment would be Bailey?

I don't think we can afford to play Watkins, Diaby and Bailey so maybe Tielemans and Bailey on for Cash and Diaby if he feels the need.

I worry about Kamara on a yellow - this ref has looked keen since Bentacur's injury to make us pay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Diego needs to come off. Konsa to CB and Cash at RB. Put McGinn at RW and get on JJ and Moreno on the left if they're fit enough.

Not enough ball carriers in this side against the press. Spurs have to be punished for pressing so high but it's hopeless balls to Diaby who is NOT a good hold up player.

Playing right into their hands for first half if it weren't for two magnificent deliveries.

If cash wasn't 1 foul from a red I'd agree. He's got to come off. 

Cash needs to come off as a red card waiting to happen, as spurs are looking for it on him and going down whenever he is near, plus he's not a midfielder and weakens our midfield as dies go forward or attack the full back.

May bring Ramsey on, also ref is awful, giving us nothing, was waiting for var to rule out pau goal, even though you could see on 1st replay he was on.

3 points there if we wake up.

Worried about diaby as seems to have gone shot shy, should of hit the ollie through ball 1st time

They don't have any centre* backs. Get some balls into the box. Tbf I think we were trying that first half so I'm hoping Unai tweaks things second so we can take advantage. 

*edit: no idea why I put 'full backs' the first time!

Edited by Troglodyte

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

We need to find a way to keep the ball and build for the back - the Spurs press has been the dominant factor in the game, we just haven't been able to play.

We play a sort of slow, slow, quick game where we build and move you around, create patterns and isolate people then go forward quickly with two or three passes - there was a lot of talk about how Spurs would deal with that quick attacking - instead they've taken away the slow - they've removed our starting position and stopped us being able to launch attacks - I've got say their press had been really impressive.

We need to find a way to beat that.

Exactly.  Son is standing offside the whole time to cut off our passing from the back and then they are pressing hard and fast.  We need to slip the press and we'll create chances.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Elbow in the face from.Carlos for that first Tottenham chance. VAR missed that.

VAR reviewed it apparently and decided no pen. 

Interesting none of the commentators pointed out the Spurs player kicking Martinez in the same move? How's that not a foul? But zero mention of it. 

• Like 1