viivvaa66

33 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Any side missing their first choice central defensive pairing is going to struggle, especially when their depth in that position is as shocking as Spurs’. Then throw in their POTS so far and creative outlet also being out, I cant see how a team as in form as we are wont take full advantage. Bissouma too has been very good for them this season, that one was a nice little bonus. The points are coming back to B6

That's the thing. They're not just missing their CB partnership which has been really good but they're missing 2/3 of their regular midfield aswell.

They are left with Skipp, Sarr, Hojiberg, Bentancur and Lo Celso.

I can't see anything other than a more defensive and deeper sitting midfield which we found difficult at Wolves and Forest to play through. Bentancur is quality but he is coming off a 8 month lay off. He's also just flown halfway around the world to play for Uruguay so can't see him lasting 90 minutes. Talk they might play Lo Celso in Maddison's position but again only serious minutes he's got for Spurs this season is league cup at Fulham in August so you'd fancy SJM and Luiz to nullify him with their intensity.

Fun(?) fact.

Almost 50% of the goals we've conceded this season in the league have come in the first 15 minutes of the second half. 8 out of 17. And of the 5 we've conceded at home, 3 of those (60%) have been in that same window.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pre match threads always good for glass half empty posts. Was said on Claret and Blue podcast last year that negativity is an inherent Brummie trait

cheap shot.

The self proclaiming opposite is sometimes borne out of populism to gain "likes"...my glass has no contents and I base my gut feel on past events of this seasons away form, and the crucial elements on display.

Sure, I am just as anxious to win as the next man, I just happen to think we won't....but will be delighted to be wrong.

as for the little pearler of Brummies, being negative...No1 I don't represent all Brummies, its just my opinion. and No 2 Check your history, some of the most positive and inventive people have hailed from Brum.

I can only suspect, you have no one to talk to today....so be my guest.

ps "Claret and Blue" are no authority on the profiles of Brummies....they just have opinions like the rest of us......and like most podcasters are in the Attention Economy of "Likes, hearts and Thumbs.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

Fun(?) fact.

Almost 50% of the goals we've conceded this season in the league have come in the first 15 minutes of the second half. 8 out of 17. And of the 5 we've conceded at home, 3 of those (60%) have been in that same window.

Hmmmmm...Interesting.

still plenty to work on....despite all the positivity

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

So McGinn is fit, Emi is in pain coming back from Argentina but should be fine. Bailey and Zaniolo are doubts and trained alone but he's more positive than negative on them. Bertie is injured as per usual. 

Should be a midfield of McGinn/Luiz/Kamara/Tielemans in that case. Hope we see Ramsey as a second half sub.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's the thing. They're not just missing their CB partnership which has been really good but they're missing 2/3 of their regular midfield aswell.

They are left with Skipp, Sarr, Hojiberg, Bentancur and Lo Celso.

I can't see anything other than a more defensive and deeper sitting midfield which we found difficult at Wolves and Forest to play through. Bentancur is quality but he is coming off a 8 month lay off. He's also just flown halfway around the world to play for Uruguay so can't see him lasting 90 minutes. Talk they might play Lo Celso in Maddison's position but again only serious minutes he's got for Spurs this season is league cup at Fulham in August so you'd fancy SJM and Luiz to nullify him with their intensity.

I think your observations have merit and I think we will need to bring significant portions of our Home form with us, to gain points.

I am not sure what style we will employ to tackle Spurs, but I feel many of our players need to bring their "A" game with them.

Performances like against the teams you mention, will render disappointment, I fancy.

quietening their crowd, early on, would be a nifty approach....build their frustration.....alternatively an early goal, could dictate our tempo and equally frustrate them.

Edited by TRO

34 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Sarr didn't train for Spurs and is a big doubt, no fresh injury concerns for them otherwise. 

That's a wounder for them with so many midfielders out.....shame!

BBC website covering all the press conferences in detail. 6 pages of live running commentary.

I can't believe that Emery refused to do a press conference whilst every other PL manager did one.

Or maybe the BBC just forgot to mention Villa's press conference whilst managing to cover all the others.

Very strange.

On 22/11/2023 at 07:32, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting in the Spurs comments and on their site - they definitely see it as a big side with injuries against a smaller side in excellent form. 

I don't think it's that - I think they might be missing something - Spurs are now our natural rivals for a place in the table, excellent start to the season notwithstanding, they're the limping gazelle in the big six - winning this one would be a big step in terms of us replacing them, killing the big six and establishing the eight team Premier League leaders group.

They'll take a point and would like three - I'll take a point, but I want to take Spurs future.

This really feels like a reincarnation of that 2009/10 crossroads. We lost that battle and spiraled. Seems like the wind is blowing in the opposite direction now. We have a stronger squad, a better manager, and even some of the executives we have outgrown have been snapped up by Spurs. We have to make it all count on the pitch now.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I was surprised at the disrespect of Forest considering how good their home record has been, you don't fluke something like that over a 12 month period. People seemed to think they were Luton or Burnley standard so got a bit of a shock once the game actually kicked off.

However going to play a Spurs without any of Romero, Van De Ven, Bissouma and Maddison...there are good and bad times to play opponents in a season and this is certainly a good time to be playing Spurs.

Think I'd quantify this match as one I'd be incredibly disappointed to lose. We (imo) will have a better starting 11 out and we will also have more options to change things off the bench than Spurs.

I agree, its foolish to disrespect teams on their own ground...many factors lift them.

sometimes, what appears on paper, doesn't always appear on grass.

However, I too will be disappointed if we lose, but not necessarily surprised.....it takes a different skill set and mentality away from home.....fingers crossed, we have it, on the day.

Edited by TRO