Match Thread: AZ Alkmaar v Villa

limpid

I think we've been sloppy at times, careless in possession and a little too generous in the space we've allowed them.

And yet, here we are, 2-0 up and largely untroubled - we've got so many ways to beat a team and we're so well set up that even when we're making mistakes we can still look good.

The BT team seem to think we're brilliant and Robbie Savage is ever so pleased with himself at having made up a formation for us.

A goal will be good for both of the players that have scored and they both look lively and like they want to grab this opportunity with both hands.

I think we'll be better in the second half - I think that's a measure of just how good this team is at the moment and how well we're being managed.

Unai Emery is a genius.

• Like 1

The really satisfying thing here is AZ look like a decent side and we’re doing them.  I feel like they’ll still fancy their chances at getting back into the game and we’ve picked up a couple of unnecessary yellow cards but overall that was a superb 45 minutes of football. 

• Like 1

Stronger team out tonight and it shows. Tielemans has had his best game so far for Villa while the performance in general has been very professional.

I know going 0-2 away from home the tendency is to sit but I’d like to see Villa come out in the 2nd half and get the third early to kill the game.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Worth noting that behind us, they’re one of the top teams in this tournament.

You don’t like to get carried away, but we’ve got such a good chance of winning the whole thing. 

YOU don't like to get carried away!

Box midfield and an expertly marshalled highline... and yet again the opposition have been poor.  Are these things linked eh ? 🤣🤣

We control the space, not the football. They cannot pass it through us and they cannot pass it over us at the moment. Their manager is v good so i expect some changes from them second half. But i also expect changes from us when they do. 

And i loved Emis 45 seconds stood with his foot on the ball at the start. Big character to do that . 

I feel really proud of my team at the moment. They are so professional and calm. Quietened the crowd by following the gameplan to the letter. 

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This more advanced position is precisely where Youri wants to be

Yeah he's struggled playing alongside either Doug or Kamara but with both of them behind him he has been much more comfortable.  Maybe if we ever have to rest one of them we should play McGinn in the centre and Tielemans higher up.

• Like 1