TV Rights Deal 2024

Django_Zooms

On 21/10/2023 at 09:21, sidcow said:

Man United, Liverpool etc would just get 10 times the number of subscribers compared to eg us and therefore 10 times the money. They go subscription it ain't going to be negotiated as a level playing field, that you can guarantee. 

It should be centralised. A PL streaming service where the revenue generated is distributed to the clubs evenly, like the current tv deal is. 

I’m convinced the PL would make more money this way despite fans ending up paying less. 

As others have said, it’s completely stupid that we’re in 2023 and we can’t watch every game. 

And to legally watch every game that’s available on TV you’d have to spend about £65 a month on top of a normal Sky subscription. It’s **** ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It should be centralised. A PL streaming service where the revenue generated is distributed to the clubs evenly, like the current tv deal is. 

I’m convinced the PL would make more money this way despite fans ending up paying less. 

As others have said, it’s completely stupid that we’re in 2023 and we can’t watch every game. 

And to legally watch every game that’s available on TV you’d have to spend about £65 a month on top of a normal Sky subscription. It’s **** ridiculous 

It's baffling they haven't done this already tbh. 

The more games being televised means there will be less and less Saturday 3pm kick offs. The Saturday blackout may remain but there will be far fewer games to blackout. If we continue to compete in Europe then we should continue on the Sunday slots which is fine. 

so, the only sure fire thing here is that Sky subscriptions will be going up to astronomical prices!!!

no surprise that sales of firesticks are increasing

pay shit loads of money to watch/listen to knobs like Spitty Carrager and twatty virtue signalling Neville

nah, no wonder !!!

Edited by imavillan

I haven't seen anything anywhere on the big question mark around this deal - distribution of that money.

There were delays because the Premier league is refusing to give the EFL a figure that they'd kinda, sorta, maybe agreed to and talk that the incoming independent regulator might step in and insist they do - I'm guessing they've pushed this deal through in order to have it settled before that happens.

More pertinently to us I'd guess is that there was talk of funnelling an even greater proportion of this money to a handful of teams at the top (you know who they are) - it's already bent in that direction and if those teams have their way, then this additional money isn't necessarily going to be a great help to making the league any more competitive.

That it's being completely ignored in all he reporting I've seen isn't, I would have thought, a good sign.

The previous deal already gave some weighting based on actual number of televised games. Presumably that's going to only be accentuated by the broadcast of all Sunday matches.

It's quite remarkable that new deal is a slight increase on the last one given the ease of streaming, although the growth has effectively stopped (sub-inflation rise?). It's also quite remarkable that the PL doesn't have it's own platform yet, but one would imagine this will be the last deal before that finally happens.

11 hours ago, imavillan said:

no surprise that sales of firesticks are increasing

I'm curious how many people using Firesticks to pirate the games are also using VPNs to hide what they're doing?

On 18/10/2023 at 22:34, Sam-AVFC said:

It's about time they finally work out how to set up a streaming service, which will bring in magnitudes more than current TV deals. Clubs will then be able to reduce ticket prices to whatever is needed to fill stadiums. 

That’s exactly what the so called big six want. Because they will ultimately run their own pay per view and absolutely rake it in. The gap in finance between them and the rest would be immense. So no thanks.

I just want to watch the Villa games. I don't want 270 + games. Just Villa. That I can't reach the ground to see them all due to circumstances beyond my control should not in 2023 preclude me from seeing them imo. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

That’s exactly what the so called big six want. Because they will ultimately run their own pay per view and absolutely rake it in. The gap in finance between them and the rest would be immense. So no thanks.

Why would it necessarily be different? They could just as easily have implemented individual negotiations on the current TV deals.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven't seen anything anywhere on the big question mark around this deal - distribution of that money.

There were delays because the Premier league is refusing to give the EFL a figure that they'd kinda, sorta, maybe agreed to and talk that the incoming independent regulator might step in and insist they do - I'm guessing they've pushed this deal through in order to have it settled before that happens.

More pertinently to us I'd guess is that there was talk of funnelling an even greater proportion of this money to a handful of teams at the top (you know who they are) - it's already bent in that direction and if those teams have their way, then this additional money isn't necessarily going to be a great help to making the league any more competitive.

That it's being completely ignored in all he reporting I've seen isn't, I would have thought, a good sign.

Nobody really wants that, though.

I mean, this is all just another shit step for modern football.  People celebrating that they can now spend an additional £40/month to watch some 2pm Sunday kick offs.  What a **** sport 👍

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm curious how many people using Firesticks to pirate the games are also using VPNs to hide what they're doing?

Always use one. They are dirt cheap and you can use multiple devices.

They are particulary useful when using public wi-fi

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Always use one. They are dirt cheap and you can use multiple devices.

They are particulary useful when using public wi-fi

I have one on all my devices. 

I dont use iptv/firesticks to watch games but have seen the authorities are trying to clamp down on people who do.

I still think ultimately the league will set up their own streaming service but right now they probably see it as a faff they don't need to deal with (as multiple firms are still throwing money at them).

• Like 1

One good thing about more games on Sky (in my experience) is you can always get money of the RRP price, especially when your contract is up, plus you now don't have to subscribe to Prime for what is 2 rounds of football. 

Can also get a good season pass price if you look around Now TV just before the start of the season

On 05/12/2023 at 12:44, Sam-AVFC said:

Why would it necessarily be different? They could just as easily have implemented individual negotiations on the current TV deals.

Globally the broadcast revenue for PL games is included in the money negotiated with Sky. If clubs negotiate their revenue individually through ppv. The gap in revenue between Liverpool and Man Utd and the rest, would be huge.They have, potentially millions of subscribers in South East Asia alone. Possibly hundreds of millions. At the moment clubs cannot negotiate their own deals in isolation. Long May it remain so.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Globally the broadcast revenue for PL games is included in the money negotiated with Sky. If clubs negotiate their revenue individually through ppv. The gap in revenue between Liverpool and Man Utd and the rest, would be huge.They have, potentially millions of subscribers in South East Asia alone. Possibly hundreds of millions. At the moment clubs cannot negotiate their own deals in isolation. Long May it remain so.

This is what has been unique about the Premier League compared to the other big leagues and helped it to become the global leader. Leagues such as La Liga allowed clubs to negotiate individual deals and naturally two or three of them took the vast majority of the money and killed any competition. The league then became boring.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 21:23, Stevo985 said:

Living outside the UK I'm paying £25 a month for every game 

It is mad that I can and you can't 

And my own personal way of watching and supporting football also makes me not believe that if every villa game was available to watch then kiddy harriers would suffer, I know some villa lads that do to be fair to them but absolutely not a chance am I sitting there thinking I can't watch villa vs arsenal on Saturday so I'll go down kiddy or bromsgrove or Stourbridge, that's just not how I view football 

Â