TV Rights Deal 2024

Django_Zooms

Not living in the UK, I can get every Villa game on TV and in the pub. The price is eyewatering though. About £70 per month for a subscription. Interestingly, the rights holder in Norway appears to be bleeding money, having massively overpayed for the rights and not getting enough people to pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Living outside the UK I'm paying £25 a month for every game 

It is mad that I can and you can't 

And my own personal way of watching and supporting football also makes me not believe that if every villa game was available to watch then kiddy harriers would suffer, I know some villa lads that do to be fair to them but absolutely not a chance am I sitting there thinking I can't watch villa vs arsenal on Saturday so I'll go down kiddy or bromsgrove or Stourbridge, that's just not how I view football 

I think a hell of a lot of football fans would pay £25 a month for a subscription for every game. 

10 million subscribers worldwide at £25 a month is 3billion a year

The new deal they’ve announced is “only” 1.6bn a year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a hell of a lot of football fans would pay £25 a month for a subscription for every game. 

10 million subscribers worldwide at £25 a month is 3billion a year

The new deal they’ve announced is “only” 1.6bn a year

The new deal only covers UK broadcasting. So you'd want 5 million subscribers in the UK to match the headline figure.

It's also an awful lot more work, they need to hire the staff and build the infrastructure to support it,  and there are significant costs to broadcasting high quality video to millions of households at once.

I think it probably is the way they'll go eventually, but I can see why they want to just take the easy money and focus on the football rather than becoming a tech business.

6 hours ago, meregreen said:

Globally the broadcast revenue for PL games is included in the money negotiated with Sky. If clubs negotiate their revenue individually through ppv. The gap in revenue between Liverpool and Man Utd and the rest, would be huge.They have, potentially millions of subscribers in South East Asia alone. Possibly hundreds of millions. At the moment clubs cannot negotiate their own deals in isolation. Long May it remain so.

I completely agree that individual agreements would be a huge problem, I just don't see why it couldn't be sold on an official Premier League website with revenue being split similarly to now.

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The new deal only covers UK broadcasting. So you'd want 5 million subscribers in the UK to match the headline figure.

It's also an awful lot more work, they need to hire the staff and build the infrastructure to support it,  and there are significant costs to broadcasting high quality video to millions of households at once.

I think it probably is the way they'll go eventually, but I can see why they want to just take the easy money and focus on the football rather than becoming a tech business.

It already exists, I do it through sky Germany on the wow TV app

If sky UK got the green light to do the same they'd have it in place for tomorrow's games 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If sky UK got the green light to do the same they'd have it in place for tomorrow's games 

Exactly,  they are already broadcasting all these matches with commentary.

11 hours ago, El Zen said:

Not living in the UK, I can get every Villa game on TV and in the pub. The price is eyewatering though. About £70 per month for a subscription. Interestingly, the rights holder in Norway appears to be bleeding money, having massively overpayed for the rights and not getting enough people to pay.

I think I pay less than £150 a year to have every Premier League game, and they have a channel that shows one game but cuts to goals in other games. And obviously you can watch later, whether it's 15 minutes behind or 5 days.

Downside is I cant go to games and that is a huge loss. English-based fans might not have the tv coverage but don't forget what you do have.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Got my wires crossed and thought we were talking about the PL don't it themselves even though that's absolutely not what @Stevo985 said, no idea why :D

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Exactly,  they are already broadcasting all these matches with commentary.

Yeah should have added that, press the red button and I get English commentary 

I watched the man city game via sky germany with Martin Tyler and sounds like Leon Osman 

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah the worldwide rights are worth about the same as the UK rights, so they'll be making about 3billion a year with the current deals.

There are obviously costs to cover (but as far as I know the Premier League do all the filming and broadcasting anyway? They produce the feeds and TV channels just use them)

And 10 million subscribers worldwide was conservative. It's one of the biggest sports leagues in the world. Double that and it's 6bn a year. Unless the costs are north of 3bn they'd be better off

Â