TV Rights Deal 2024

Django_Zooms

10 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't see why they would. The Champions League money would become irrelevant and any club in the league could afford to buy whoever they wanted from other leagues. 

Man United, Liverpool etc would just get 10 times the number of subscribers compared to eg us and therefore 10 times the money. They go subscription it ain't going to be negotiated as a level playing field, that you can guarantee. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Man United, Liverpool etc would just get 10 times the number of subscribers compared to eg us and therefore 10 times the money. They go subscription it ain't going to be negotiated as a level playing field that you can guarantee. 

You'd be right if this were club specific subscriptions, but there's no reason it couldn't be a PL platform with the same distribution as the current TV model.

The distribution of the TV money is, after all, a model that the PL has come up with to balance the field, not something imposed upon it, it doesn't need to change because the technology changes.

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 15:50, Paddywhack said:

It seems insane to me that if Villa are playing away and we're not on TV, the only Villa fans in the UK who can legally watch that game are the few thousand who have managed to get a ticket. 

This has been the case for 4 out of our 8 games so far this season. It's infuriating, what decade are we in?

I'm sick and tired of dicking about with dodgy streams, I'll happily pay a tenner per game to be honest.

The Premier League should sell the licensing to platform like Netflix and call it Premflix 

Would also be happy to pay £30/40pm if it gave you access to every game every week throughout the season 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kingman said:

The Premier League should sell the licensing to platform like Netflix and call it Premflix 

Would also be happy to pay £30/40pm if it gave you access to every game every week throughout the season 

Or then cheaper if you just want your team

I pay £25 a month for it (as part of wow TV with the entertainment package too) for everything and a few bundesliga games

On 21/10/2023 at 09:21, sidcow said:

Man United, Liverpool etc would just get 10 times the number of subscribers compared to eg us and therefore 10 times the money. They go subscription it ain't going to be negotiated as a level playing field, that you can guarantee. 

Would just waste 60-70m on more ill-fitting signings while we would then have resources to sign another 2-3 Diaby types.

No doubt they'd still put up the matchday and season ticket prices though!

Just now, VillaChris said:

No doubt they'd still put up the matchday and season ticket prices though!

Yeah, anyone thinking more TV money will reduce ticket prices is living in cloud cuckoo land. 

• Like 2

Anyway it's good in the next rights deal they'll be showing all the Sunday 2pm games on Sky or other platforms.

I did actually go down to my local earlier this season naively thinking us away to Liverpool was the 2pm game and then got confronted with Palace playing someone.

Went back to my house to find the game and we were already 2-0 down so had better Sunday afternoons!🤣

On 21/10/2023 at 09:21, sidcow said:

Yeah wasn't this the point of super league. They wanted to sell Barca v Man U for £5 and sell like 200 million ppvs and split the cash.

On 21/10/2023 at 10:21, sidcow said:

That's why the PL or sky or BT would have to own the platform, it would only work if its shared and agree would only be shared if its single source - its too late now but the PL should have set that infrastructure up 10 years ago

Anyone know how many lots are on this new deal? I'm guessing it'll be sky, BT and amazon again? The really shit thing will be if they go chasing more money and add another service like dazn

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's why the PL or sky or BT would have to own the platform, it would only work if its shared and agree would only be shared if its single source - its too late now but the PL should have set that infrastructure up 10 years ago

Anyone know how many lots are on this new deal? I'm guessing it'll be sky, BT and amazon again? The really shit thing will be if they go chasing more money and add another service like dazn

Edit - quoted wrong post

Edited by villa4europe

• 1 month later...

Premier League agrees record £6.7bn domestic TV rights deal 

The Premier League has agreed a new record £6.7bn domestic television deal for Sky and TNT to show 270 live games a season.

The deal includes the BBC continuing to show highlights on Match of the Day.

The top flight said the deal, which covers the four years from the 2025-26 season, is the "largest sports media rights deal ever concluded in the UK".

The Saturday afternoon 3pm blackout will remain in place, but every 2pm Sunday kick-off will be televised.

The BBC has also been awarded additional digital rights for its online platforms. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67619756

We're probably going to be on TV 95% of the time now then, as the few games that don't get on TV will presumably be the crappy games between the tinpot clubs that no one wants to watch. I'm all for it tbh, every game should legally be allowed to watch, I quite like the kick offs being spread out across the weekend too, the more football to watch the better. 

Going to a game on a weekend at 8pm doing excite me much, but I have quite enjoyed those games being on TV when it hasn't involved getting to and from Villa Park. The money involved in these deals is staggering and you can see why owners like ours wanted to get involved in the game. They will make an absolute killing when they move on, they will easily treble the money they've put in so far and probably more. 

The price they got is very interesting. For all the talk of piracy BSkyB must be still making plenty of money to fork out over a billion pounds a year for just the premier league football. I would have expected some downturn but it seems by increasing the number of live games Sky/TNT were still able to increase their offer. Now you have to consider inflation in the meantime so maybe it's the equivalent of the same price for more matches.

Long term I assume the plan is to have most games on TV every week with the aim of stopping piracy by having people pay for the convenience of cable TV. Similar to the way people now just pay for Spotify rather than download/pirate music. Logically its the obvious solution, be interesting to see how it pans out. If I could get all the sport I want to watch on one platform I would happily pay for it. The issue now is the having to have 6 different subscriptions, some of which you only need to watch 2 hours of sport a month. In those cases you just cancel the sub and find other ways to see what you want. 

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The price they got is very interesting. For all the talk of piracy BSkyB must be still making plenty of money to fork out over a billion pounds a year for just the premier league football. I would have expected some downturn but it seems by increasing the number of live games Sky/TNT were still able to increase their offer. Now you have to consider inflation in the meantime so maybe it's the equivalent of the same price for more matches.

Long term I assume the plan is to have most games on TV every week with the aim of stopping piracy by having people pay for the convenience of cable TV. Similar to the way people now just pay for Spotify rather than download/pirate music. Logically its the obvious solution, be interesting to see how it pans out. If I could get all the sport I want to watch on one platform I would happily pay for it. The issue now is the having to have 6 different subscriptions, some of which you only need to watch 2 hours of sport a month. In those cases you just cancel the sub and find other ways to see what you want. 

What happens to the filming rights and who owns the footage? 

If the PL sell a Villa game to sky and then sky stick 20 cameras around VP but then the PL also sell it to every corner of the globe what happens to the fact that it's sky's cameras that are beaming it there? 

Does sky buying more games directly lead to them getting more of a return based on it being broadcasted on a TV screen in Malaysia? 

And then out of interest who films games that aren't on TV here? 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What happens to the filming rights and who owns the footage

As far as I know there are a set amount of cameras at every premier league game and the footage is then sold to whoever buys the rights in whatever country. In the UK if Sky have the rights to the game they would get the standard premier league footage, but sky also bring more of their own cameras to enhance their coverage and bring their commentary team rather than using the premier league provided team. The aim is to make their coverage standout from the crowd, give it a sense of occasion etc. I assume the premier league and sky also have some shared resources for the sky games as part of the TV deal as they are both helping each other. 

• Like 1

Â