TV Rights Deal 2024

Django_Zooms

The Times says that only 3-5pm UK time will be protected for live matches, in the next TV rights deal packages. Meaning, for example, that 2pm Sunday kickoffs caused by Thursday European fixtures will all be available live on TV or official  streaming platforms.    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/46685484-8ffe-460d-8cd9-52fe2288cfb4?shareToken=485be06955ba611461cf1124739ab412

Premier League has no plans to ditch 3pm blackout
But all other matches will be shown live from 2025 as top flight seeks to boost TV revenue for the first time in almost a decade

3 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Disagree strongly. Something has to remain special. Having an anticipatory pint & a sandwich before the match & debriefing afterwards has been perfection since 1888. Still leaving time for family & Saturday nights out.

Agree

I meant not being able to show them on TV, most games should be Saturday 3pm but available to watch

Sky putting games Friday night, Saturday lunchtime evening and night, 2 on a Sunday and then monday night is bullshit

I'd have nothing Friday, 1 game Saturday lunchtime or Saturday night, all the games Saturday afternoon, 1 game Sunday afternoon, nothing monday

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

I meant not being able to show them on TV, most games should be Saturday 3pm but available to watch

Sky putting games Friday night, Saturday lunchtime evening and night, 2 on a Sunday and then monday night is bullshit

I'd have nothing Friday, 1 game Saturday lunchtime or Saturday night, all the games Saturday afternoon, 1 game Sunday afternoon, nothing monday

Trouble is they won't pay the billions for less slots.

Gotta milk that cash cow however much it pisses off us match going fans.

Premier League is the World's League now not England's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

The Times says that only 3-5pm UK time will be protected for live matches, in the next TV rights deal packages. Meaning, for example, that 2pm Sunday kickoffs caused by Thursday European fixtures will all be available live on TV or official  streaming platforms.    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/46685484-8ffe-460d-8cd9-52fe2288cfb4?shareToken=485be06955ba611461cf1124739ab412

We will be playing in Europe on Wednesdays by then 😬😬

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

I think non-league clubs would really struggle if they did that.  I'd prefer they went the other way and have no Saturday 3pm kick offs with all games shown live.

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It seems insane to me that if Villa are playing away and we're not on TV, the only Villa fans in the UK who can legally watch that game are the few thousand who have managed to get a ticket. 

This has been the case for 4 out of our 8 games so far this season. It's infuriating, what decade are we in?

I'm sick and tired of dicking about with dodgy streams, I'll happily pay a tenner per game to be honest.

Interesting.

It's absolutely insane that we're heading towards 2030 and you still can't legally watch every game in this country. Every game should be shown on a PL-ran app/service, every game should be 4k, replays of goals and matches, ref cam, VR in the stadiums, there's so much potential and so much money to be made from it. 

The argument about the blackout is total bollocks too, it won't have any effect on the lower league attendances. Everyone knows where to watch a PL game if they want to. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

It seems insane to me that if Villa are playing away and we're not on TV, the only Villa fans in the UK who can legally watch that game are the few thousand who have managed to get a ticket. 

This has been the case for 4 out of our 8 games so far this season. It's infuriating, what decade are we in?

I'm sick and tired of dicking about with dodgy streams, I'll happily pay a tenner per game to be honest.

The club should do something in these fancy bars they are opening

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

It's absolutely insane that we're heading towards 2030 and you still can't legally watch every game in this country. Every game should be shown on a PL-ran app/service, every game should be 4k, replays of goals and matches, ref cam, VR in the stadiums, there's so much potential and so much money to be made from it. 

The argument about the blackout is total bollocks too, it won't have any effect on the lower league attendances. Everyone knows where to watch a PL game if they want to. 

If it's a choice between going to see my local team at home or trying to find a dodgy stream of Villa then 9/10 times I would go to watch the non-league match.  If it was a proper, decent coverage on my TV of Villa then most times I'd choose that instead, unless we happen to get really shit again.  I suspect the number of people who actually know how to get access to decent dodgy streams is lower than you'd think (even I struggle a lot of the time and I spend loads of time on here) especially over a certain age.

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

The mad thing for me is with all the money sloshing around the PL never invested in their own infrastructure, they film it, sky, nbc et Al distribute it

On 18/10/2023 at 22:34, Sam-AVFC said:

It's about time they finally work out how to set up a streaming service, which will bring in magnitudes more than current TV deals. Clubs will then be able to reduce ticket prices to whatever is needed to fill stadiums. 

When they do that the top 4 will become set in stone and accelerate away from everyone else. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

When they do that the top 4 will become set in stone and accelerate away from everyone else. 

I don't see why they would. The Champions League money would become irrelevant and any club in the league could afford to buy whoever they wanted from other leagues. 

On 19/10/2023 at 09:50, Paddywhack said:

It’s easier for me to watch away matches in the US than it is for the supporter who lives down the street from Villa Park. Asinine.

• Like 1

Â