Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Didnt they lose to mostra? I mean mostra were solid defensively but a poor side. On another day we could have thumped them.

It will be tough at their place but i dont think its as challenging as some of the teams we have faced in PL.if we perform like we know we can we could win the game comfortably 

Lets hope hammers game didnt take a lot out of us

I don't think so, Villa were in control for most of the game.

Still think Villa should be at almost full strength for this.

• Like 1

Emi has to be in goal for this.

I mean maybe a couple changes. Have youri in for mcginn baily for zaniolo other than that would want to go full strength 

I think key is try to qualify asap so we can go weaker towards end of the group games

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 23:27, VillaChris said:

Yes keep first 11 out there. We can't afford to lose another euro away game if we want to win the group so no messing about with selection.

Of course must respect Luton aswell but we'll be o.k with 2-3 changes for that.

We can't play our first XI twice a week all season and the premier league is the more important competition. 5/6 changes for AZ, they should be still good enough to win. Bring the first teamers off the bench with 30 minutes to go if it's looking shakey. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We can't play our first XI twice a week all season and the premier league is the more important competition. 5/6 changes for AZ, they should be still good enough to win. Bring the first teamers off the bench with 30 minutes to go if it's looking shakey. 

If we lose to Alkmaar I'm not sure we'll win the group tbh. We need to win the group as you then bypass a play off round or something in February so 1st place and we'd have a decent break from europe until March (so could get an FA cup run going in that time if the draw allows).

If we're seeing the likes of Chambers and Donk thrown into the team then I think it's going to be a similar struggle to Warsaw.

Luton at home we should be alright bring in likes of Tielemans if we want to give one of our regulars a rest. Bailey ahead of Zaniolo aswell.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2023 at 01:47, Pongo Waring said:

Vangelis Pavlidis is the inform player for AZ. 13 goals in 9 games this season. One to watch. 

They're flying in the Dutch League. Really can't see us winning this one. Tough tough game 

They conceded 4 to Mostar and we are in hot form as well. If we play with a professional attitude we should win

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

They conceded 4 to Mostar and we are in hot form as well. If we play with a professional attitude we should win

Yeah as we know that is correct but doesn't always go like that.

A point wouldnt be a disaster as long as we beat them at VP. I fancy us against any of these sides at home

• Like 1

It’s going to be a really difficult game, they’re flying in the Dutch league and have a striker bang in form.

We need to learn how to win away in Europe, we failed badly against Legia in that respect conceding early on and giving them all the encouragement they needed. I feel like we need to make changes to the starting XI but I’m not sure we can do that and win the game, part of me thinks we might more likely rest some against Luton and still win that one.

Be interesting to see if Duran’s involved, if not you’d have to think there is some kind of ‘issue’ which would be a serious problem for us given that he’s the only real alternative to Watkins, perhaps Zaniolo can play up top with his physicality and ability to play with his back to goal.

• Like 1

I think we can make several comfortable changes - the more obvious ones like Diego Carlos, Bailey and Dhuran if he's off the naughty step-  I wouldn't be too surprised to see a couple more too - maybe Lenglet and Tielemans - but I don't see us really going much beyond that, I'd guess Traore would be the outsider.

We could really do with Ramsey and Moreno back - having to play so many first teamers as much as we are is going to have a really effect on us come February or March.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Be interesting to see if Duran’s involved, if not you’d have to think there is some kind of ‘issue’ which would be a serious problem for us given that he’s the only real alternative to Watkins, perhaps Zaniolo can play up top

And even he might be looking at a ban before too long. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Be interesting to see if Duran’s involved, if not you’d have to think there is some kind of ‘issue’ which would be a serious problem for us given that he’s the only real alternative to Watkins, perhaps Zaniolo can play up top with his physicality and ability to play with his back to goal.

Don't think Zaniolo has ever played striker. Diaby played striker PSG youth team apparently. Traore has loads of games at striker in career and plays there for national team

Edited by Kiwivillan

On 23/10/2023 at 18:43, rodders0223 said:

I'd go full strength in both games. Second string lot have showed themselves up when given a run wouldn't trust em to get 3 pts in either.

Only exception Carlos, think he needs games and would be an absolute slap in the face 

I agree, it's still early in the season can't take any game lightly.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we can make several comfortable changes - the more obvious ones like Diego Carlos, Bailey and Dhuran if he's off the naughty step-  I wouldn't be too surprised to see a couple more too - maybe Lenglet and Tielemans - but I don't see us really going much beyond that, I'd guess Traore would be the outsider.

We could really do with Ramsey and Moreno back - having to play so many first teamers as much as we are is going to have a really effect on us come February or March.

Why the fixation on making changes ? We need to win this to create some breathing space , we should also be able to play a few days later at home and deal with Luton and then move on from there. Our replacements as individuals are ok as a unit less so. We also need to forget about players that are unavailable, as far as February is concerned they will be on full power and filling in for injured or knackered teammates it’s the way a squad works 

• Like 3