Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

1st half was terrible in midfield

2nd half was better but teilemens?

The amount of poor play from him still just shows he is either so unmatch and football fit that he needs one on one coaching or there's something wrong with him. Bar 1 shot he was terrible yet again. Not as bad as donker was but not much better.

No movement no running and poor decision making 8 out of 10 times tonight.

It wasn't just the terrible 2 in the first half, there was little movement anywhere and when players did make the runs they were hardly given the ball.

2nd half was improved and we eventually managed to seek a goal.

They played well from a defensive point of view, the keeper made 2 or 3 decent saves the majority were right at him or soft shots.

Zaniolo, he needs to stay focused, you can see he is desperate to score and a great overhead kick saved but he seems to be trying too hard. Ran himself into the ground as was a constant threat.

Bailey needs to learn when to cross it and when to take a player on, far better on the left.

Traore brough a bit more quality possession when he came on and linked with cash well.

Cash I put as motm due to his work trying to force the tempo on the right hand side, it was also his cross for sjm to save our skin.

Emery gets another poor, only times I have given him that have been in cup games.

Rotation is fine if managed correctly, not changing 2 out of 4 defenders ( central) and pushing konsa to right back, swapping out 2 midfielder in the middle for our slowest least dynamic players.

That's changed our entire middle of the team including forward, no wonder we keep messing up.

Lenglet played decently 

Just annoyed and yet relieved at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

Ollie Watkins post-match interview: It was not a penalty, when I headed the ball into the defender's nose then it hit his hand.

If he was Bruno Fernandes or Jurgen Klopp: Definite penalty, match must be replayed, trophy must be awarded to us, all match officials must be sacked, VAR & PGMOL must be shut down.

Brummies rarely cheat 

There we go, changed it for you 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, slovenian said:

Martinez won us three points tonight.. imagine Olsen making those saves

Brilliant saves yes, but to be fair, both were offside.  The one in the first half was blatantly 5 yards offside and would have been disallowed by VAR had it gone in, and the one in the second was flagged after the save, hence why we got a free kick and no corner.

• Like 1

Crap first half , better second half but we made hard work of that . Emery having to make substitutions again at HT because the fringe players just aren’t cutting it. Think we’ll struggle to keep this going and sustain our push on the league front .

It says 21.00cest at the top of the page , I thought it said “incest” at first glance and thought I’d strayed into the small heath thread

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I get your point, but the combination of them feeling aggrieved about warming the bench in the Premier League and then having to play against obscure teams who park the bus, seems to have had a negative effect.

John McGinn, who's fought his way up from the Championship and is happy to celebrate beating the Faroe Islands with Scotland, seems better suited mentally to this kind of fixture.

I think we'll look better when we start to face teams who want to play football

Completely agree, like I said this in their head, they are good enough footballers they're just not playing like it

Same as the Everton game it's like this is all beneath them, second class competition with a "reserves team" and the effort the concentration whatever all drops off

Its not a case of we need to buy more players or we need to play our best 11 every game we need to sort these guys out

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Can't help but feel they are both low on confidence, and in Tielemens case felt that coming to Villa was actually a step down from Leicester, so wasn't expecting to sit on the bench.

If he actually feels like that, then he can go jump into a canal. I want to see players who give their all on the pitch irrespective of the opponent.

However, I may be being unkind, maybe his brain only functions at half-speed. How else can anyone explain why he is so slow in possession and at pressing?

31 minutes ago, jim said:

Looked more like the tactics than the personnel. Tielemans was much better second half. Lenglet and Carlos were fine. Duran didn’t do much wrong. Dendonker was poor but hardly a B “team”.

Tielemans was still awful second half, weird that you’re trying to take a negative slant against Emery. We were always going to rotate

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Youri wasn't bad, infact his passing was very sharp. The problem was a lack of urgency on the ball, we needed to move it quicker all over the pitch, especially in the final 3rd. Cash made a huge difference, Zaniolo started sharp but faded. Martinez save was great bit the player that shot was a yard offside in the build-up. 

Fair play. I didn't think he was much cop tbh, and his stats seem to back that up. Made the most passes of any of our players but had the  second lowest pass completion behind Bailey. Also no tackles all game, and kept letting up the pressure on them by trying shots from way out that flew over the bar

Rousing finish and hopefully the kickstart we need in Europe to go on a good run.

Still lots of question marks over Tielemans, Zaniolo, Dendoncker. Bailey wasn’t too impressive tonight either but made up for meatball getting the winner at the holte end in the 94th minute, great moment for him irrespective of the opposition.

First half wasn’t good, Emery needs to come up with a way of changing up the team without it falling to shit, that’s kinda on the players but perhaps he needs to adapt too in some way.