Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

Buzzing with the win. A real game of two halves. To be fair, Mostar executed their game plan perfectly in the first half. Frustrated us, silenced the crowd, slowed the game down. There was no press from them at all, they were happy to sit back and make us break them down. We were way too static in the first 45 until we came to life a bit in the last few minutes. Second half, Mostar defended like their lives depended on it, and fair play to them. It did feel like it was only a matter of time before we took one of our chances, though I was fearing the worst on 90 minutes. Can't fault the character of them to keep pushing right til the end. 

• Like 1

I wont lie, that was a tough watch tonight, poor atmosphere for the majority, we just couldnt rouse ourselves to play the bosnian minnows and the fans were the same (including me). At one point they lit up 3 flares and i thought our seats were going to go up in flames haha. I was keeping an eye on that fascist skinhead with the megaphone for the first half and dont think he watched a minute of the first 45 mins, he was constantly trying to direct the zrinski ultras to sing. They tried to be all intimidating and then starting waving their scarves around 🤣🤦‍♂️ I hope we go to the bosnian backwater and smash them big time on their turf

Never in doubt was it?

Had Zaniolo attempt had gone in an otherwise soporific first half it could have been a routine 2/3-0 win. But they defended really well and it is hard to break down a side with 10 men behind the ball in a good shape. First half we were far too ponderous. Slight concern that we had to turn to the big hitters to get us out of trouble. Overall we deserved the win, especially in the second half, we battered them as they were clearly playing for a point which was their right to do so. Tielmans was off it again tonight. The question is what sort of side will Emery play in the next Conference match? We can't really afford another defeat so we might have to go for the best XI again.

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Can we please start the next game with strongest 11 and make subs later on ffs

We may have to start employing this strategy from now on… if we want to go far or win this thing…

Difficult for Unai… can’t keep playing the same players but too many of the reserves are below the required standard…

We’ve had rotten luck with injuries…

As he says, the PL is the priority (fine by me) but we want to be as competitive as possible… players have got to step up to the plate or be replaced in Jan if we want a good season overall…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

We need another Doug if one exists. He sat in front of the back 4 and dictated play.

Yep… Tielemans is sadly nowhere near him and I’m struggling to envisage him improving as drastically as he needs to (hope he does and I’m proven wrong)…

Quite disappointing, even surprising, to see how weak our midfield depth and quality (beyond our first picks of Luiz & Kamara who are absolute class) is really…

Yeah we’ve had injuries and tough luck but… I think we’ll have to and will do more business in January… I think Dendoncker and possibly Chambers will be moved on with much better players brought in, hopefully… we could really do with a quality defensive alternative to Kamara. We need players that can win the ball and protect the defence, not just pass or shoot…

Some of the past links to midfielders maybe make a little more sense now…

• Like 1

I have no problem with rotation but I think maybe half the team at one time is too much and just affects the way the team works together.

Bailey was poor first half and brilliant second, drawing defenders to him and creating space for other. Not everything he does comes off, which is frustrating, but I reckon we'll see more and more of him on the left. Bringing Bert on and having him do the same on the other side of the pitch stretched their defence out in the last 10 minutes allowing the likes of McGinn to pour into the box and get on the end of things.

Thought Ollie was also immense when he came on and showed the huge difference he makes as a team player, as opposed to Duran and Zaniolo who were just happy to do their own individual thing for most of the match. I don't think Ollie had a meaningful shot on goal but he set up about three golden opportunities when he was out there.

• Like 1

Looking back on the goal in the replays it was a real nice team move, I think at the time I was just relieved it went into the net. Emery tinkered with the system to get the result as in hindsight Cash and Traore did provide the extra width to finally break them down right at the death.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like having a captain who is smart, in terms of IQ and EQ, as well as leading by example. Think Emery has been very astute with McGinn, because it would have been easy to drop him after the Gerrard era.

Unai has been incredible for McGinn, elevated his game several levels imo. A much more composed and effective player, his technical qualities and passing have improved considerably. 

John and Ty had stated that they wish they had received this kind of coaching and educating earlier in their careers…

And yeah, Unai has made John better suited to that captaincy too… but he always had the positive personality traits/attributes too… Unai has tuned the other elements…

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

Wow!.How important could that late goal be.?

The first half very forgetable with a lack of movement up front. We had that pedestrian look about us and it was feeling like a re-run of one of those disappointing episodes of our second string. I don't think it was all down to Tielemans,  there was no real movement for him. Unless Digne or Bailey created something, we were not scoring.

Introducing Douglas, Cash & Ollie. The whole dynamic of the side changes.

Dougie really is top quality and make this side tick. Cash was pushing up and we were threatening to get in behind them, which is where the goal did eventually come from. Emi didn't have much to do but when he was needed, they were not getting past him. Traore also added extra threat late on.

Nearly another frustrating night but when you list Mings, Buendia, Moremo, Ramsey, Diaby & Kamara all not available it does limit our selection. With a full squad we can just make 3 or 4 changes and not disrupt the team quite so dramatically.

I did feel some sympathy for Zrinjski and they defended heroically all night.

Onward. Another team in old gold is the next one awaiting a beating by us.😃

Exactly what I thought as soon as the goal went in… could be pivotal and instrumental in terms of us having a really successful season… maybe a turning point that will give us belief, confidence and momentum going forwards (although that 6-1 thrashing of Brighton should’ve helped! 😂).

Or maybe it just salvaged our ECL campaign, a huge 3 points. Fail to win today and it would’ve been a huge challenge to get out of that group. It’s game on now… we really have to step up and not revert to past poor form/displays though…

-  

For me, the problem with Tielemans are his lapses and apparent lack of drive/energy or determination. He looks laboured and exhausted and loses possession too cheaply, in dangerous areas too (seen this multiple times now). It’s concerning but I hope he can somehow improve…

After watching his performances for us, I am getting annoyed with him and running out of patience… but maybe if he hadn’t opened his mouth and complained (giving the impression that he should be assured of a first team place) I would be willing to give him more time before passing any judgements. I was excited by the signing but he has only looked poor for us so far and is nowhere near the class of Luiz…

5 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

No. People want a squad to compete and players need rest and others need game time. Another day we're several goals up before HT that same game but usual cry babies and whingers calling performance horrific etc even though we dominated against a team parking the bus and keeper having career best game. I'm sure Emery could care less about hysterical VT posters.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

This is a short-term outlook. Unai took a riskier longer-term view.

Sit back and enjoy ... as best we can.

• Thanks 1

Mods, forgive this if you can, and if you can't, I forgive you.

It's sad what's happened to the Balkans and Greece in the 1940's. Excuse my ignorance but I wouldn't associate sieg heil and the like with Bosniaks.

I only got to watch the 2nd half. Thought Tielemans was pivotal in linking play and catalyst for purpose and direction in our play, going off comments here, must not have been that way in the first half.

I was fearful we weren't going to have the creative or incisive spark to score, but we did. @Mic09 you said it well, we would, and we did get up by games end.

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Thought Tielemans was pivotal in linking play and catalyst for purpose and direction in our play, going off comments here, must not have been that way in the first half.

They should've done better with breakaway before extra time with yet another sloppy Tielemans pass. I lost count how many times he gave away possession with misplaced or under/over hit passes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

No. People want a squad to compete and players need rest and others need game time. Another day we're several goals up before HT that same game but usual cry babies and whingers calling performance horrific etc even though we dominated against a team parking the bus and keeper having career best game. I'm sure Emery could care less about hysterical VT posters.

On another day?

We had one shot on target that first half.

It got better in the 2nd half because we brought the big guns on.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Said in the match thread the B team more or less has more European experience (and international experience) than our A team

They're good enough, let's not pretend they're not, especially vs opposition like tonight, they have to play better it's that simple, we need them to play better

Tielemans has 60 international caps and 70 games in europe, dendoncker has 30 caps and 50 games in europe, it's bollocks that they can't be good enough vs mostar, it's a mental block in their head

They were good enough…maybe not pretty on the eye or convincing but they did get the job done.

We would all love a 6-1 win every week but most time success is about getting over the line when you are under strength or below par form wise.