Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/23 at 22:59

1 hour ago, jim said:

Emery will learn from this

Will he?

I’ve had my doubts about his appointment. His selection tonight didn’t help but I think if you go back to the transfer window many on here including myself were concerned that Villa hadn’t signed enough quality to add more depth to the squad. Moreover, selling younger players who were better than those selected tonight didn’t help either.

Really flies in the face against Emery’s statement that he wanted Villa to do better in cup games.

Everton deserved to win tonight as they played like the competition meant something to them.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

OK, didn't watch it, so I will not comment on the players too much I will just say that playing McGinn at LB is a move that if it had come off would have been a master stroke, but it didn't, and it certainly wasn't a master stroke. Please don't do that again. We need some captains in the team, not just the one wearing the armband, but others who are ready to stand up and be counted when things don't go right, I don't think apart from Mings we have that. As for players complaining that they are not getting football, you have to take the chance when it comes, and I think it is fair to say players certainly didn't. Emery got it wrong again today. That does not mean I want him gone, just that he is far too trusting of the squad he has, and thinks they are capable when they continue to let him down when they are called upon. He needs to change the mentality of the squad and that means getting rid of some of these players in the next two windows. I am sure that is exactly what will happen. 

1 minute ago, striker said:

Will he?

I’ve had my doubts about his appointment. His selection tonight didn’t help but I think if you go back to the transfer window many on here including myself were concerned that Villa hadn’t signed enough quality to add more depth to the squad. Moreover, selling younger players who were better than those selected tonight didn’t help either.

Really flies in the face against Emery’s statement that he wanted Villa to do better in cup games.

Everton deserved to win tonight as they played like the competition meant something to them.

Go to bed.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we can put the game exclusively on playing a weakened side - in the second half, we were only one outfield player short of our best team.

Very valid point.  We just don't seem to have the urgency or tempo we had last season and it's been more evident in the cup games where there almost seems an air of complacency or not taking it seriously enough.  I do wonder if this air of "it doesn't really matter" is encouraged by Emery doing things like starting with McGinn at left back. 

I am not surprised one Iota....but I guess, its nice to be wrong.....didn't go tonight, watched it on the box....it was a hard watch, even in the warm.

This has been coming, and the signs have been there in the better games, IMO

Too many things awry to mention, but I have made references in earlier posts.

soft underbelly to the team is just one factor alone....." The gift that keeps on giving".....that was not dealt with in the Summer.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Didn't see any of the game but figured this would be a likely result because you can't just play your first team 3x a week and have to rotate - and our current rotation players are all very one dimensional.

That rotation looks miles different with Carlos, Moreno and Ramsey to call on. Once we have those guys back fully fit then we should be able to play alternate teams without sacrificing too much quality.

In the end we probably have left the cupboard bare in terms of having young, enthusiastic ballers to bring in for these games - not having a Revan or Aaron Ramsey to come in and have a red hot crack is disappointing.

• Like 2

This SO SLOW build up from the back...

How many times did we see Luiz, Torres or Konsa taking a Sunday afternoon stroll with the ball at their feet until they get 40 yards from our goal and then standing still wondering who to pass to. And NOBODY is moving ahead of them ("don't give it to me"). And they end up passing sideways, or 5 yards forward to someone closely marked who just immediately gives the ball back or (especially today) loses possession. 

Trying to play the game at walking pace against a well organised opponent, apart from boring the spectators senseless, is doomed to failure. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

Will he?

This is a crazy take.

He has to rotate the squad, we can’t play the same team every minute of every game. We (he) has suffered key injuries. 

We did add quality in the summer, perhaps more so than any other window? 

Are you suggesting that Archer is better than Watkins or Duran? Philogene and Ramsey wanted to leave, we had to sell or they would walk for free at the seasons end. And who are they better than?

We didn’t play well, but for the third game already this season we lose a key senior player in the first 20 minutes. Statistically we were better and we gifted them the second goal through an error, so at 1-1 this same performance takes on a different look, still out of sorts but given context, not as bad. 

TBH on balance I am glad we are out of this cup, we have bigger priorities.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

TBH on balance I am glad we are out of this cup, we have bigger priorities.

So what are are priorities this season for our football club?

Stay in the premier league ?

Qualify for European place ?

Get out of League cup at earliest opportunity ?

Get out of European football at earliest opportunity ?

Get out of the FA cup at the earliest opportunity ?

I do agree with some of what you say though...

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

"You have to move on quick, thinking of Brighton in the Premier League, which is very very important, trying to keep the same structure, as we have been doing tactically, but today we broke it".

Does he mean the players broke the tactical structure, or he did? To me, it sounds like he's implying/admitting the second string players can't do what he wants them to do. 

Last year, he got so much improvement out of our first team, but the same impact has not been evident with the the fringe players this year and that failure has the potential to undermine our collective aims.

So, if that is correct, who is to blame? In the end, probably nobody, or more accurately everyone, a bit...

Bad luck with the injuries because the players out of contention gave us heart, not enough quality bought in the summer, reserve players representing too big a drop. Promising youth sold to balance the books = thin on options.

Hope we go on to do great things in lots of competitions this year, but I think there are too many question marks for that to be likely now. 

City and Utd/Newcastle out of the cup already and I'm presuming would've been us in the draw at home vs Burnley instead of Everton if that's how it works means this is another golden opportunity for a cup gone begging.

Disappointing that we can't make any number of changes and expect a reasonable performance, but well now we have one less competition to have to make changes for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

So what are are priorities this season for our football club?

Qualify for European place ?

Get out of League cup at earliest opportunity ?

Get out of European football at earliest opportunity ?

Get out of the FA cup at the earliest opportunity ?

I do agree with some of what you say though...

Finishing higher than we did last season is #1, ultimately getting into the top 5 (Champions League qualification).

That is the marker of progress; that demonstrates positive and continuous momentum; it is the route to higher income; it offers better players a more attractive destination. Champions League is our medium term objective at the expense of all others.

I would suggest Europe is #2, but not at the expense of the league. FA Cup is #3. League cup a distant #4.

we cannot compete seriously for cups until we sort out our league form and build a quality squad which will take time and success in the league. Once we have a strong squad we can compete in multiple fronts over 60ish games a season. We are a long , long way from that, let’s be serious?

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2