Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

We’re in a tough place at the minute, it feels like a lot of fans expect us to win every game 10-0 the reaction on social media isn’t a million miles away from post Fulham Gerrard bad. 

People will have forgotten this in a week or two if we get some decent results.

I do worry about the reaction if we get kicked out of the Conference early on though, the last game showed it's not going to be easy, and people have built us up as favourites. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

We’re in a tough place at the minute, it feels like a lot of fans expect us to win every game 10-0 the reaction on social media isn’t a million miles away from post Fulham Gerrard bad. 

Fickle clearings in the woods 

• Like 2

Out at an early stage once again and this cup looks increasingly winnable after last night's draw. Still it is the least important of the competitions that we are in this season and although it could have given us a trophy, it would only see us qualify for the Conference League again. I'm sure UE learned a lot from last night and the main thing is that the players that are outside our usual starting line up, are on the bench for a reason. Whilst they can do a job for 25 minutes at the end of games, they didn't do anything to make him think they should start games more often and the one who had said that he was unhappy with not getting more games gifted Everton, what proved to be their winner with a sloppy pass. 

We need to start games with our best available starting line up in future, when those games really matter like next Thursday. We didn't start playing as we can until the closing minutes last night and by then it proved too late. I had forgotten how annoyed I get when opposition fans celebrate a win, until last night, but they wanted it more didn't they? This was never going to be an easy win after their away win at the weekend and with the large following they had, and giving them a two goal start left us with a mountain to climb with time running out. We go again in the league at the weekend and in Europe on Thursday, two wins are needed.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we can put the game exclusively on playing a weakened side - in the second half, we were only one outfield player short of our best team.

But we didnt lose the second half, thats the whole point. We lost the first half.

Everton played their best keeper and best striker. We played our far far weaker reserve keeper and back up striker.

30 minutes ago, John said:

Out at an early stage once again and this cup looks increasingly winnable after last night's draw. Still it is the least important of the competitions that we are in this season and although it could have given us a trophy, it would only see us qualify for the Conference League again. I'm sure UE learned a lot from last night and the main thing is that the players that are outside our usual starting line up, are on the bench for a reason. Whilst they can do a job for 25 minutes at the end of games, they didn't do anything to make him think they should start games more often and the one who had said that he was unhappy with not getting more games gifted Everton, what proved to be their winner with a sloppy pass. 

We need to start games with our best available starting line up in future, when those games really matter like next Thursday. We didn't start playing as we can until the closing minutes last night and by then it proved too late. I had forgotten how annoyed I get when opposition fans celebrate a win, until last night, but they wanted it more didn't they? This was never going to be an easy win after their away win at the weekend and with the large following they had, and giving them a two goal start left us with a mountain to climb with time running out. We go again in the league at the weekend and in Europe on Thursday, two wins are needed.  

I really dont think they wanted it more. We gifted them goals, experimented with the team and played at a pedestrian tempo, effectively treating it like a friendly. I think the result was all on us. And as a club i dont think we're too bothered sadly.

• Like 1

Something is significantly wrong with the 2023/24 version of our team.

The seemingly lack of energy manifests itself in the sheer lack of running OFF the ball, this in turn renders the player on the ball of being caught in possession, and in the main being dispossessed.

All the difficult games we have encountered, have shown the opposition to be full of running, zest, and enthusiasm....while we contrastingly are as flat as a witches tit.

Our team right now, are in serious danger of being overrun....we can cling to the 12 points and 7th place all we want, but it won't last long playing like this.

I don't think its just one player, the whole team look lethargic, slow and ponderous....we look like a wounded animal travelling through the serengeti, waiting to be picked off.

Tielemans as just one, can't get away from an opponent and can't fend one off when he doesn't...he's a sitting duck, playing like this.

Unai, needs to find some gas in the tank for this team, otherwise we are goosed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Something is significantly wrong with the 2023/24 version of our team.

The seemingly lack of energy manifests itself in the sheer lack of running OFF the ball, this in turn renders the player on the ball of being caught in possession, and in the main being dispossessed.

All the difficult games we have encountered, have shown the opposition to be full of running, zest, and enthusiasm....while we contrastingly are as flat as a witches tit.

Our team right now, are in serious danger of being overrun....we can cling to the 12 points and 7th place all we want, but it won't last long playing like this.

I don't think its just one player, the whole team look lethargic, slow and ponderous....we look like a wounded animal travelling through the serengeti, waiting to be picked off.

Tielemans as just one, can't get away from an opponent and can't fend one off when he doesn't...he's a sitting duck, playing like this.

Unai, needs to find some gas in the tank for this team, otherwise we are goosed.

Our first eleven is strong.

But we cannot rotate players that much is clear. Unless we aim to get knocked out of all cup competitions as fast as possible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

People will have forgotten this in a week or two if we get some decent results.

I do worry about the reaction if we get kicked out of the Conference early on though, the last game showed it's not going to be easy, and people have built us up as favourites. 

How can you forget games like that.....The good teams don't go down that far in terms of performance, that was woeful.

This performance last night has been building.....we need to just look for the signs.

Some folk have been bullish in their expectations of us, but all teams have fans who do that.....This is about watching the game forensically and seeing the worrying signs, without getting downbeat, just realistic.

There are things going on in games like this, going unchecked will lead to derailment....Unai for once looked forlorn last night.

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

He has to rotate the squad

Facts tells us that if we rotate we lose.

I think we can afford to make 2 changes at max and that does not include changes at gk, defence or midfield.

1 of the winger positions and striker.

Drop off is just too severe in the other positions.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Our first eleven is strong.

But we cannot rotate players that much is clear. Unless we aim to get knocked out of all cup competitions as fast as possible

I think its a bit more than that....but I accept it helps.

Mings ( Type) is a massive miss, and I am surprised that at the club, we have very few like him, perhaps Carlos, but thats just sods law.

We are looking for leaders and there are very few.

• Like 1

Agree with the general concensus. Our strength in depth may not be what we thought it was. Having said that, we do have some bad injuries still, and as cliché as it may be to say so, it's no harm going out of this competition given the season that lies ahead of us. I won't lose sleep over it. There goes the quadruple I guess. Roll on Brighton and a full strength Villa.

• Like 1

Just now, Pinebro said:

Facts tells us that if we rotate we lose.

I think we can afford to make 2 changes at max and that does not include changes at gk, defence or midfield.

1 of the winger positions and striker.

Drop off is just too severe in the other positions.

That is the crux of it.

We have plenty of cover in certain area's but in others as you've pointed out is sparse.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its a bit more than that....but I accept it helps.

Mings ( Type) is a massive miss, and I am surprised that at the club, we have very few like him, perhaps Carlos, but thats just sods law.

We are looking for leaders and there are very few.

Yesterday it was a lack of quality.

Midfield is the engine room. It is what it is. Tielemans and Dendoncker can't cover for the Kamara and Luiz dynamic. They just can't.

Olsen's lack of bravery and confidence impacts the entire defence.

Putting McGinn at LB was also mind boggling.

Edited by Pinebro

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Agree with the general concensus. Our strength in depth may not be what we thought it was. Having said that, we do have some bad injuries still, and as cliché as it may be to say so, it's no harm going out of this competition given the season that lies ahead of us. I won't lose sleep over it. There goes the quadruple I guess. Roll on Brighton and a full strength Villa.

I think the big question is, will this cup form, worm its way in to the League....I hope not.

The manner of that game, can be ignored at anyones peril.....its significant....Unai looked concerned last night.

I think with the injury question, its more of who is injured, they are all players with energy,gusto, and a bit of physical engagement and right know the squad looks unbalanced in that context.....we have too few to get about the place.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I think the big question is, will this cup form, worm its way in to the League....I hope not.

I don't think so, because so far it has 100% been down to personnel. When we pick our strongest team we generally win. When we don't, we generally don't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yesterday it was a lack of quality.

Midfield is the engine room. It is what it is. Tielemans and Dendoncker can't cover for the Kamara and Luiz dynamic. They just can't.

Olsen's lack of bravery and confidence impacts the entire defence.

Putting McGinn at LB was also mind boggling.

I think it was a lack of energy, intensity and a willingness to battle for the ball.

Tielemens is a quality passer of the ball, but he wasn't allowed to play, he was shut down, too easy.....all our players were shutdown, and it was too easy to execute.

No team can play, if they are shutdown.....but they have to be able to beat the press, to impose their skill.

If you press our team, the quality we intrinsically have, just dissipates.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think our squad depth is ok, and you can rotate in one or 2 of the back up players into the first team, and theres no issue. Olsen looks ok with the first team, dendonker comes in and performs well etc. But when we make 4 or 5 changes we look really nervy, and unable to play the same way as the first team.