Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/23 at 22:59

You cann tell how much we have improved under Emery, remember under previous managers when we would be playing against 10 men and look clueless. As soon as we had the extra man, we suddenly took a hold of the game like good teams do. Let's not forget, we still have a few individuals still trying to get to grips with the pace of this league. 

All things considered, an excellent result. 

Delighted for Watkins,  great finish. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought we were the better team, the Chelsea keeper kept them in the game first half with two superb saves.

Diaby didn't have as much influence today but Zaniola made up for that, and chuffed for Olly with the goal I reckon he may go on a bit of a run again now. Kamara, Luiz, Konsa and Emi were superb and if the ref hadn't have pulled play back when we had broken to give a Chelsea player a card it could have been more comforatble. The away fans were also superb. 

• Like 4

Just now, Eligius said:

I thought we were the better team, the Chelsea keeper kept them in the game first half with two superb saves.

Diaby didn't have as much influence today but Zaniola made up for that, and chuffed for Olly with the goal I reckon he may go on a bit of a run again now. Kamara, Luiz, Konsa and Emi were superb and if the ref hadn't have pulled play back when we had broken to give a Chelsea player a card it could have been more comforatble. The away fans were also superb. 

👌 post. 

1 minute ago, Dodgyknees said:

Absolutely - and with losing Mings.

And Buendia. I'd be pleased with this run of form even without the injuries.

Brighton, Wolves and West Ham up next in the league, if we're still hovering around in the top half after those, I will be incredibly optimistic heading into Luton, Forest, and Fulham

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well the bad stuff first

On the pitch, ref was truly terrible, multiple wrong decisions including booking digne for being elbowed,  giving freekicks when nothing has happened such as the ball being hit into durans shoulder, not giving freekicks when sterling flicks it on with his hand.

Off the pitch , dear lord, quite possibly the crappest commentator ever. Struggled to find anything accurate she said in the entire game, gems after 25 mins as villa already have 12 points this season coming into the game, handballs that weren't, plays names wrong, effan ekoko or who ever the Co commentator was kept having to interrupt her nonsense but apologised each time !!

Player wise

Zaniolo looks good, great turn and shot 1st half, doesn't seem to understand his position at the moment and would prefer him on yhe right and diaby on the left.

Watkins, was anonymous all game bar one press and we won the ball and had a chance, then hid goal. If he hadn't scored, I think he would have been brought off a minute or 2 later.

Good finish though.

Kamara and doug played well but we're swamped several times, konsa and pau had a good game as did emi

Mcginn still looking slow and lacking energy, cash and digne were decent in spells and held the line well but both got turned and beaten several times due to the high line.

Bailey did ok for the minutes he was on just to keep some forward momentum but shows his lack of pace when he couldn't get close to Chilwell down the line.

A deffo red card which opened up the game for us.

Clean sheet for emi and a goal for ollie and all appears quiet in our house bar some bants from me 🤣🤣

Delighted for Ollie! He’s been needing a goal and glad he got it today. 

Pity we couldn’t get a second and kill the game off but glad to have the 3 points. 

Can’t say anything about the ref that hasn’t already been said. Beyond useless! 

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Dominant in all phases, the better team throughout and yet if you watched it on TV you'd think we were plucky League 1'ers in a flukey cup giant killing.

If anything, we could and maybe should have won by more.

You can tell when you're beating one of the TV teams by the length of the added time - I was hoping for 4 minutes, expecting 5 and kinda bracing for him adding a couple of Sky minutes and giving them 7 - finding 11 is a f***ing shambles - in a more honest league it'd be looked into.

Martinez looked like a wall - Konsa was fantastic again, he should be starting for England, Torres was good, Cash lively and Digne I thought was really excellent - it's so good to have those five back in place.

in front of them Luiz was good and Kamara more than made up for the performance in the week - he was brilliant I thought.

Diaby was a livewire, Watkins got his goal, Ramsey came on and got straight at it, McGinn was relatively quiet and Zaniolo looked electric - when he scores, there's going to be an earthquake.

Every player contributed and we were just a little bit better than Chelsea at everything they did.

Referee was horrible - finding eleven minutes and then allowing Chelsea to pull on our shirts all the way through it - the league will thank him I'm sure, but I prefer a good old fashioned honest official frankly. 

Villa 1 Sky football 0

Great performance, great result. 

lol, are you Luke Robinson? 😂

In fairness I thought it was pretty even despite the player advantage, and don’t quite share your glowing view, but delighted all same. Think we will have a strong second half to the season after we grow as a team, develop familiarity and the new players to the division settle.

6th and still in touch at this stage after the two heavy away defeats is encouraging.

• Like 1