Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/23 at 22:59

This is what I saw/felt etc.

Villa were stodgy ... extremely slow build-ups, two passes or more where one might have been more effective.
Despite this Villa were the better team; just.
A lot of passes went astray or were intercepted.
A draw would have not been an 'unfair' result.
Duran coming on gave Villa a bit of physicality that they were missing. Oh, and a pretty nice goal too.
Palace contained Digne
Pau still acclimatizing the the Premier.
The penalty? Could have gone either way, thought it was the correct call, but I can see why Palace fans may feel aggrieved.
16 min added time ... about right probably, but wow.
Luiz,player of the match.
Emery? The subs were good ... the style of play ... I'm not sure.

Referee ... was consistent, let a lot go in terms of dodgy tackles; carded niggly bits of gamesmanship. 

And, all disagreeing should be considered faulty and will be thoroughly ignored.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Villa were stodgy ... extremely slow build-ups, two passes or more where one might have been more effective.
Duran coming on gave Villa a bit of physicality that they were missing. Oh, and a pretty nice goal too.
Palace contained Digne
The penalty? Could have gone either way, thought it was the correct call, but I can see why Palace fans may feel aggrieved.

Referee ... was consistent, let a lot go in terms of dodgy tackles; carded niggly bits of gamesmanship. 

And, all disagreeing should be considered faulty and will be thoroughly ignored.

I only read the last sentence and it’s now my life motto

• Haha 1

That was a proper game, and the horrible game I thought it was going to be. They tried to make it as hard as possible for us, and we were crap even though we could have easily gone in at HT 2 up. Second half we were even worse for the most part . Unbelievable ending, I hate playing palace , such an horrible team to play against. Deserved to win purely on goal scoring chances and bad luck . 

• Like 1

Never in doubt that wasn't, Palace were not great, almost felt sorry for their 250 fans. 

Duran MOTM, his energy changed the game when he came on. 

I was in line with Diaby for his non goal and I wasn't sure. 

Apart from the ref holding his ground against VAR for the pen he was pretty bad. 

85 mins for the atmosphere to get going, deffo summat wrong with the Holte 

Should have been out of site in the first half. There seemed a strange flatness of the performance apart from the final 15-20 minutes or so, reflecting the dull grey skies and listless weather today. We often seem to play worse after the international break.  Palace's goal came from a couple of mistakes and other than a few other shots did absolutely nothing else apart from sitting back and time wasting.

Overal it is always pleasing getting a late win and we deserved it but quite a few players were below par. Cash was poor, Zaniolo disappeared after half an hour, Watkins can't buy a goal, and Torres needs to build on his strength and his going to get bullied every game in the prem. And yet despite all that we won. Duran looks very exciting and Bailey should be starting imo.

Absolutely biggest cliche in football, but you gotta admit: Villa showed character today. That match is basically a working demonstration of exactly what that concept means. They players transcended their self-inflicted wounded situation at the 87th minute.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

A slow cautious start where we gave nothing away in the first half. I've watched loads of those now under emery and more often than not were winning at half time. Unlucky not to be today. The goal rocked us and palace did a great job of killing the clock, the Duran goal was top class and nice to see a ref stick to his guns after. 

All in all it feels a bit lucky, but on another day its 3-1 but our goals are scored in the first half. 

I thought torres looked good except for this goal, Emi looked good except for the slip. 

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Palace contained Digne

You must have watched a different game, from the Upper Trinity the ref was inconsistent and got a lot wrong, it was 9 minutes added on not 16 but then there was the penalties that dragged the time out to 14 minutes, not sure where you got 16 from. Palace didn’t contain Digne, he put loads of crosses in. 

1 minute ago, Zero7 said:

You must have watched a different game, from the Upper Trinity the ref was inconsistent and got a lot wrong, it was 9 minutes added on not 16 but then there was the penalties that dragged the time out to 14 minutes, not sure where you got 16 from. Palace didn’t contain Digne, he put loads of crosses in. 

And got an assist. But contained. I guess you could say Mings contained Haaland when we played them, and he still scored so might be some argument to have there. But wait, any contrary opinion will be ignored so what's the point😂

• Like 1

Great game for us, we got what we deserved but how many times has that not happened in similar games to this in our past.

We had more than enough chances to be 2 up at half time,  the offside goal was a tight call, everyone looks at the line but its as important to look when the balls hit on close calls like this, when the line was drawn on the replay I have seen the ball was leaving his foot, not being struck.

Ollies missed chance seemed to drain his confidence but his saved effort in the 2nd half was a moment of pure class from him, the keeper and the post. The penalty was a correct call and fair game to the ref for over ruling VAR and pointing out to them that the Palace player took out Ollie and then got the ball, it was a clear penalty that VAR tried to complicate. 

Duran showed what he's been brought in for, you can't train for that type of goal, its instinctive,  he's got huge potential. Teleman's made a huge difference for me, he was instrumental in 2 of our goals,  he deserves a start. 

This was a very important result for us , Palace are no mugs and we came from behind and showed real character when it would have been easy to accept defeat, in the past we would have. Game on. 

You know I can't slate anyone in the match day thread, I was working with no stream available because of work and this was the next best thing..I mean real time updates, sharing the sense of frustration...but refreshing constantly and patiently always waiting for that goal comment.

For example the tension leading up to the pen and refreshing a gazillion times and then to read in BOLD font size 500 "GET INNNN" is just amazing!

Of course another gazillion refresh to check for VAR lol trust me this beats bbc score updates all day erry day

Never change VT

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

According to the TV recording the whistle blew at 106:34.