Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/23 at 22:59

25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Diaby too.

This is quite exciting then, in fact i wonder if we could become the best through ball team in the Premier League ! 🤩 Plus Mings to come back... he had a few great long assists over the top recently, perhaps his passing was improving.

1 hour ago, robby b said:

This is quite exciting then, in fact i wonder if we could become the best through ball team in the Premier League ! 🤩 Plus Mings to come back... he had a few great long assists over the top recently, perhaps his passing was improving.

Now he no longer had to concentrate on looking the manager in the eye?!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Totally agree with the second para. VAR is a real case study in how not to implement a review system in sport. The footballing authorities have managed to alienate players, fans and managers in equal measure, in contrast to the review methods that have been introduced in Rugby Union and `Cricket, which have actually enhanced the game and been accepted as valuable support for referees/umpires.

I also like the 3 challenge idea for managers.

What drives me insane is, a linesman keeps his flag down to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker and the attacking team don't score but get a corner. How is that fair? They never review it for a corner, only a goal.

And don't get me started about playing on after an obvious offside - that's exactly how Tyrone got injured.

• Like 1

I saw pundits saying penalty decision was harsh but ref gave it and after several minutes of reviewing it couldn’t decide if it was a clear and obvious error so was right not to change his decision.  That’s how VAR is meant to be used. 

I personally think it was a penalty too. He got the player first then the ball.  However had he not given the penalty I would not expect him to overturn that decision either.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Quick off field complaint, unsure if its worth raising to the club. 

The service in lower Doug Ellis (I sit in M5) is awful. 

Only 2 people serving/pouring. There has been an issue with one of the amstel taps (the bar right by the toilet/betting area) since last season, and it still hasn't been fixed. Takes ages to get served too. 

I went down at 40 minutes to get a drink, third in the queue. By the time I got served/had the drink in my hand there were only 5 minutes left until the second half started. It's just not good enough. 

I'd imagine it's like this elsewhere in other stands at VP too. 

On 17/09/2023 at 15:30, TRO said:

You are right.....but until the dynamite was released, it was all a bit flat....Palace played a huge part in that, but I don't blame them, for their cautious, defensive style, just that we couldn't break it down, with our passive offerings.......JD changed all that with his swashbuckling, "hell bent for leather" style that woke everyone up from their slumber.

I too thought it was needed.

Except we did break them down a few times in the first half, just didn’t have the focus (or maybe just luck?) to get the ball in the back of the net, apart from Diaby’s superb but very marginally offside effort. Second half we allowed heads to drop in a way we are all too familiar with.

What Jhon Duran managed was to hit the target. This was equally as important as him running around being swashbuckling.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Except we did break them down a few times in the first half, just didn’t have the focus (or maybe just luck?) to get the ball in the back of the net, apart from Diaby’s superb but very marginally offside effort. Second half we allowed heads to drop in a way we are all too familiar with.

What Jhon Duran managed was to hit the target. This was equally as important as him running around being swashbuckling.

Yeah, you're right Brin....first half, we did have chances....but I was generalising.

second half went a bit flat...until Jhon " Roberto" Duran arrived with his fighting spirit.

16 hours ago, Creeper said:

Quick off field complaint, unsure if its worth raising to the club. 

The service in lower Doug Ellis (I sit in M5) is awful. 

Only 2 people serving/pouring. There has been an issue with one of the amstel taps (the bar right by the toilet/betting area) since last season, and it still hasn't been fixed. Takes ages to get served too. 

I went down at 40 minutes to get a drink, third in the queue. By the time I got served/had the drink in my hand there were only 5 minutes left until the second half started. It's just not good enough. 

I'd imagine it's like this elsewhere in other stands at VP too. 

No wonder, we took so long to score....those bloomin Amstel taps want dropping, We need a good Strongbow, to add some zip.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 10:50, Vive_La_Villa said:

I saw pundits saying penalty decision was harsh but ref gave it and after several minutes of reviewing it couldn’t decide if it was a clear and obvious error so was right not to change his decision.  That’s how VAR is meant to be used. 

I personally think it was a penalty too. He got the player first then the ball.  However had he not given the penalty I would not expect him to overturn that decision either.

That for me, was key....it was a penalty.....Ollies Knee pushed Richards outstretched leg on to the ball....no doubt for me, from the angle, I saw it from....the sequence of events was crucial to this decision...player first, ball second.

anywhere else on the field, that was a foul.

I think the ref showed courage and discretion, on this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Yes but if you’ve got a swash you need to buckle it! Too much swashing without any buckling ultimately leads to frustration!

• Haha 1

Â