Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/23 at 22:59

21 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I thought it was definitely a pen. Ollie gets a little touch on it, gets collected and the the ball gets swept away. I don't think the touches the ball before the foul. 

Massive character building win. We kept going, and Duran coming on with his high energy changed the game. 

anywhere else on the field, that would have been a foul.....He took the players legs, BEFORE  the ball touched him....It was the correct decision IMV.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Glad Unai was honest enought to say "heart".....some on here scoff at such intangibles.

Jhon Duran showed first hand how a bit of Aggression, with a touch of Chaos, and a huge dollop of heart and will....allied to a sublime execution of technique....can deliver the goods.

Glad Unai said that

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

One thing to keep in mind is that we will be playing 55-60 matches this year over the course of 9 months with internationals for some of our players on top of that. Crossing across Europe, playing 3 games a week. Extra time and penalties as well. 

Unai has immense European experience and must plan for the whole campaign and not just game to game. So to that end, this controlling but sometimes boring style has the ability to conserve our legs instead of chasing shadows and having up and down games with lots of transition. 

Case in point, in the 100th minute, Diaby still has the burst to run the length of the pitch to set up our 3rd while Palace were noticeably fatigued. 

I think you both make good points.....

When teams are so well organised like Palace was, a slow build up, compounds the problem.......but a bit of a curved ball thrown in ( JD) has a tendency to unsettle the calm waters....I still think tempo, urgency, tenacity, ferocity.....and as Unai says Heart.....all play a huge part, at times in games......Palace's somnolent style had an seducing effect, and I think it was slowly affecting our players until the ebullient and boisteros Duran, wanted to liven the party....boy did the game need that.

JD may have a lot to learn, but he has a lot to teach too...and his effervescent demeanor, is a joy to watch....hope its contagious.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Why is the Holte so quiet at times . well I think. I know, its our new style of football (OMG did I just say that out loud)

Am I wrong to still want boot and rush football at times. It gets the crowd going

For 88 minutes. I was pleading with us to actually take on an opposing player and try to go around them. I am still having to get used to all this possession,  playing it out from the back and if the move breaks down we knock it back and start again. I shouldn't complain because the proof is in the pudding and wins on the table and that's all I have ever wanted

BUT I was at VP yesterday and thought how quiet the crowd were for so long while we passed it back and forward side to side. The crowd are quiet because "nothing is happening". Then Duran scores a brilliant goal and the we all go mad. Then we start charging down the wings and the crowd gets louder, ball over the top to run onto and we go crazy, jumping , shouting and cheering.

So please don't get on my back, I LOVE winning, and at the end of another win the crowd goes wild. During the game when "nothing" is happening its quiet

You are right.....but until the dynamite was released, it was all a bit flat....Palace played a huge part in that, but I don't blame them, for their cautious, defensive style, just that we couldn't break it down, with our passive offerings.......JD changed all that with his swashbuckling, "hell bent for leather" style that woke everyone up from their slumber.

I too thought it was needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Totally agree with the second para. VAR is a real case study in how not to implement a review system in sport. The footballing authorities have managed to alienate players, fans and managers in equal measure, in contrast to the review methods that have been introduced in Rugby Union and `Cricket, which have actually enhanced the game and been accepted as valuable support for referees/umpires.

Tennis too. I like the idea of each manager having 3 challenges per game. That's it. Otherwise whatever the ref decides in-game goes unchallenged.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you both make good points.....

When teams are so well organised like Palace was, a slow build up, compounds the problem.......but a bit of a curved ball thrown in ( JD) has a tendency to unsettle the calm waters....I still think tempo, urgency, tenacity, ferocity.....and as Unai says Heart.....all play a huge part, at times in games......Palace's somnolent style had an seducing effect, and I think it was slowly affecting our players until the ebullient and boisteros Duran, wanted to liven the party....boy did the game need that.

JD may have a lot to learn, but he has a lot to teach too...and his effervescent demeanor, is a joy to watch....hope its contagious.

Yeah agreed. Our starting XI are full of hard workers and technically proficient.

Duran as a wild card has the ability to roll the dice. Unai is right that we controlled the game, and on another day with our shooting boots on, we are out of sight first half. 

But he was equally right to roll the dice with Duran, Bailey, and Tielemans to force the issue once Palace could not be unlocked. 

• Like 1

Its very difficult to give a general view on that game, when the events that compiled it, were so topsy turvy.

I think its one, to say, the fighting spirit, was there, and it delivered 3 points.....Bravo boys.

You can achieve many things when a fighting spirit is employed....I think that game will, inspire a belief in this team that will stand us in good stead, through the season.

We all talk about confidence in football, being a huge ,huge factor in success...it is, but the touch paper has to be lit, and that is fight, endeavour and a determination to succeed....when those things win games, its that that brings the confidence.

We can all have superlative talents, but if its all applied with a passive or acquiescent, approach, the talent is diluted.

Yesterday, was a significant example towards the end, of a team, detecting that it really has the fight, to win games.... they dug deep, with massive inspiration from a young spunky player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

BUT I was at VP yesterday and thought how quiet the crowd were for so long while we passed it back and forward side to side. The crowd are quiet because "nothing is happening". Then Duran scores a brilliant goal and the we all go mad.

Was it the way we played or the way Palace defended? Our football can be very exciting to watch when both teams are playing. When a team plays park-the-bus like Palace did for long stretches, the match is going to have dull moments whether the other team is 2023 Aston Villa or 2010 Barcelona.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Totally agree with the second para. VAR is a real case study in how not to implement a review system in sport. The footballing authorities have managed to alienate players, fans and managers in equal measure, in contrast to the review methods that have been introduced in Rugby Union and `Cricket, which have actually enhanced the game and been accepted as valuable support for referees/umpires.

Tennis and volleyball are two other examples.  You really have to credit the footballing authorities for finding a way to balls the whole thing up.  It really shouldn't be that difficult.  Mic up the refs and the VAR officials, have them discuss the incident and what they think they are seeing / explain why they are making a decision, show the images they are looking at on the big screen and treat footballers / managers / fan like adults.  Make VAR a tool for improving decisions rather than just correcting glaring errors.  Allow referees to ask to check the footage so that they can get a better angle, etc.  Instead they've done almost the exact opposite.

Regardless of whether you think our penalty was / was not the right decision (it was) - what was encouraging is that the referee looked at it closely and whilst we don't know whether the VAR official had the same view or not - he clearly says after viewing the footage that the defender plays Ollie first and then the ball and is more convinced that he has made the right decision.  So in that case VAR has worked.  It has helped the referee make a decision and be confident that he's made the correct decision.

• Like 2

Who passed to Ollie for the pen? That was an exquisite through ball!

And the control to bring down the ball from the air by Diaby for his offside goal was just amazing. Lovely shot too, powerful into the bottom corner.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Watkins attitude is typical of a lot of strikers, selfish, spoilt to a degree, that was evident in his face on the bench. That goal from Duran, as brilliant as it was, would almost have felt like a dagger to the back for Ollie, all them chances spawned, and JD goes and does that. There's always that little bit of insecurity concerning "strikers," because their judged by their goals and right now Ollie is suffering. 

It will turn around for him, it's just a case of sooner than later where he's concerned. I think some of the negative comments on here are a tad premature, I would be more concerned if he was anonymous in games, but that's not the case. The luck is just not with him right now, however, it's a lot about character in situations like this, let's see what he's made of.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Tennis too. I like the idea of each manager having 3 challenges per game. That's it. Otherwise whatever the ref decides in-game goes unchallenged.

To my mind the problem is that the ooor standard of referees hasn’t gone away but been multiplied by using the same incompetent chumps to make second hand decisions via VAR. The way the system is used is painful and the on pitch referees no longer make decisions because the responsibility has been handed over to VAR. Therefore usually when the on field idiot is asked to “ have another look”, it is assumed that the chance to see the incident again once it has been already been seen in slow motion 50 times, surely the VAR idiots must be right, just like the TV pundits have been for decades. Nothing decided by committee is ever any good. Thankfully our on pitch ref on Saturday wasn’t so easily persuaded on this occasion. But the basic premise that the advantage of repeated slow motion reruns must be right is flawed to an extent. As demonstrated by the twin pillars of dickheadery, Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy on MOTD, who even after watching the clear penalty numerous times still couldn’t see the “bleeding obvious” that the ref on the pitch could see from a few yards away. The fact that there was no clear and obvious error because it took VAR so long to make a decision is another reason to demonstrate the many faults in the system. The MOTD idiots also seemed to forget that we won by more than one goal and VAR had also disallowed a goal to us with one of their toenail decisions. Then again I stopped believing anything on the BBC years ago. Basically what I’m saying is, that replacing  1 incompetent with a group of incompetents isn’t fixing the incompetence problem. As others have said it isn’t impossible because other sports have managed to do it pretty well. Perhaps incompetence was never the problem in the first place? Corruption perhaps? Heaven forbid! I’m sure a big dollop of money could solve whatever the problem is anyway!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Tielemans I think

Yup, Tielemans.  He put a similarly lovely ball to Diaby leading to the third goal. Now we have two or three players in who can pass with excellent weight and accuracy, you realise what we have been missing all these years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

To my mind the problem is that the ooor standard of referees hasn’t gone away but been multiplied by using the same incompetent chumps to make second hand decisions via VAR. The way the system is used is painful and the on pitch referees no longer make decisions because the responsibility has been handed over to VAR. Therefore usually when the on field idiot is asked to “ have another look”, it is assumed that the chance to see the incident again once it has been already been seen in slow motion 50 times, surely the VAR idiots must be right, just like the TV pundits have been for decades. Nothing decided by committee is ever any good. Thankfully our on pitch ref on Saturday wasn’t so easily persuaded on this occasion. But the basic premise that the advantage of repeated slow motion reruns must be right is flawed to an extent. As demonstrated by the twin pillars of dickheadery, Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy on MOTD, who even after watching the clear penalty numerous times still couldn’t see the “bleeding obvious” that the ref on the pitch could see from a few yards away. The fact that there was no clear and obvious error because it took VAR so long to make a decision is another reason to demonstrate the many faults in the system. The MOTD idiots also seemed to forget that we won by more than one goal and VAR had also disallowed a goal to us with one of their toenail decisions. Then again I stopped believing anything on the BBC years ago. Basically what I’m saying is, that replacing  1 incompetent with a group of incompetents isn’t fixing the incompetence problem. As others have said it isn’t impossible because other sports have managed to do it pretty well. Perhaps incompetence was never the problem in the first place? Corruption perhaps? Heaven forbid! I’m sure a big dollop of money could solve whatever the problem is anyway!

Tennis, cricket, rugby, and bloody football has to make a bollocks of it. The richest of all the sports mentioned, and still come up short. 

Far too many cooks. As you said, there was no clear and obvious error regarding the penalty, but still, let's make sure, just for the wind - up, and that's how it sometimes seems. It's almost the attitude of, "We don't want to sit here for the entire match and not get involved." That offside rule needs to be looked at, that was as good a finish as the JD goal, it just doesn't feel right disallowing goals for the sake of millimetres. 

I'm glad the ref didn't resort to the ridiculous imaginary drawing of a square and actually looked at the screen in front of him and had the balls to say, "Sorry, but it's as I thought, penalty!

Kudos to Dougie, too. As good a penalty as you'll see and even.more impressive when you add in the wait for the decision. He has to be one of our best signings in terms of cost and his worth today. Our very own Brazilian Mortimer, I love nothing more than seeing one of our players delighting in the privilege of wearing that strip.

• Like 2