January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Let’s take a look at Unai’s signings so far, I don’t believe we’ll target or sign anyone inferior to this lot:

Permanent -

Moreno - starting LB, dynamic and a genuine upgrade who made us a better, more effective and dangerous team. 

Duran - apparently more of a Lange target that Unai agreed to, one for the future who has been promoted to CF backup.

Tielemans - an intelligent/savvy move for a quality player on a free (out of contract). Since moved to an attacking role and proved effective - more to come.

Pau Torres - probably the best or among the best ball-playing CBs out there. Supreme passing ability, Unai’s man, continuing a previous/existing relationship. Makes us better and play the way and style Unai wants. Vital, key player.

Diaby - seen as a forward approaching the elite or having the potential to be, fast, dangerous, increases the potency of our attack. Improves us.

-

Loans (enforced due to injuries to the squad which had left us short)…

Zaniolo - Monchi influenced (previous relationship), added depth after the injuries to and absences of Buendia and Ramsey. Highly rated in his younger years, a low/no risk loan. If he impresses, we sign him for a reasonable fee. Has potential…

Lenglet - Monchi influenced (previous relationship), added CB depth (after the injury to Mings and helps us out with the amount of games to play). An inferior or even comparable option to Pau. Loan, no commitment. Better than players like Chambers & Hause…

-

None of these players were or have been at the end of their careers, slowing down etc.

I would point to Pau and Diaby specifically as the standard of player that Unai desires…

Tielemans was a clever signing and was starting to show good form before his injury…

Loan signings, arguably, wouldn’t have been made or “rushed through” had we not suffered with injuries…

I don’t think we will be interested in anyone who is of an inferior level to these players in their particular positions - we simply don’t need to be. We have enough players, we just need to bring in better ones if and when it is possible to do so.

E.g. no need to sign a RB unless that player is genuinely better and more suitable than Cash.

A DM doesn’t have to be as good as Kamara but something close would be helpful and offset the difficulties we have when he is unavailable. Even better if that player can challenge Bouba and both players are kept on their toes… we have no one to do this atm. Dendoncker is not that guy…

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

iT's DeCeMbEr ThE sEcOnD. 

WE'RE ARE THE SIGNINGS? 

The window doesn't open until the 33rd 😃

(A waitress at a restaurant I worked at once said "I'll be back from vacation on the 33rd....and she was serious)

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Is something more worrying than his workrate. His asshole parents who tried get the US manager sacked for not starting him

Wouldn't touch him

If only they had been successful in doing so!

His parents are assholes but I'm relatively sure they would have zero influence at Villa.

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Scenes when the Duran deal is in a swap for Rafael Leao 💀

*** Yes, I know there's as much chance of this happening as swapping Dendonker for Jude Bellingham

Jokes aside, Leao is the next level of player needed to improve the 11. Left wing and CF cover. Remember us being ‘after’ him (in VT transfer thread world) before he went to Italy. If we get UCL for next season players like that become genuine targets, imo.

• Like 3

Probably already been mentioned but couldn't find it as I lazily scrolled through, surprised that we're not heavily linked with Guirassey given his release clause, seems to have been linked to so many other teams maybe because a lot of people need a top first choice striker. I personally think if this isn't a purple patch in his career he'd be best joining us and being bed into England slowly from the bench as a rotation option, learning from Emery, Paco and the rest of the team. 

I don't think it'll happen but I don't see why we'd be any less likely than anyone else to take a punt 

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/intesa-verona-aston-villa-per-ngonge-il-belga-nicchia-preferisce-rimanere-in-italia-1918301

Verona-Aston Villa agreement for Ngonge. The Belgian niches: he prefers to stay in Italy

Hellas Verona and Aston Villa have reached an agreement for Cyril Ngonge. The English have offered 10 million euros for the player, who arrived a year ago on a zero-parameter basis and would represent a total capital gain for the Verona club, which has already verbally agreed. Now, however, it is a matter of understanding what Ngonge himself wants to do. He has had a great time in Serie A and would like to stay, thus preferring a possible transfer to a team such as Fiorentina - which has had him in its sights for some time - after he seemed to be one step away from Bologna in the summer, which then preferred to focus on Ndoye and Karlsson. Ngonge has scored five goals in 17 games this year.

Screams Verona trying to get Fiorentina to pay up with the threat of an English club, but nevertheless...

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

With Forest about to be fined/docked points, it’s time for us to go and get Gibbs White. 

are they!?

Unlikely they get fined this season - think they'll play it out and then make some more sales in the summer.

Would love Gibbs-White though the fee might be too high unless it was made a priority target.

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With Forest about to be fined/docked points, it’s time for us to go and get Gibbs White. 

I thought selling Brennan Johnson offset any FFP concerns?

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I thought selling Brennan Johnson offset any FFP concerns?

They sold him just outside the 3 year window for reporting PSR I believe 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The window doesn't open until the 33rd 😃

(A waitress at a restaurant I worked at once said "I'll be back from vacation on the 33rd....and she was serious)

She sounds like a keeper.

A replacement for Olsen?

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

MGW the definition of a highlight reel player...  Does fook all 9 games out of 10, then looks like a world beater that one game.  Considering you've already written off Buendia, Bailey, Zaniolo, Diaby, etc as too shit for us, I can't wait to see how many games it'll take for you to write off MGW as well...

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, KMitch said:

MGW the definition of a highlight reel player...  Does fook all 9 games out of 10, then looks like a world beater that one game.  Considering you've already written off Buendia, Bailey, Zaniolo, Diaby, etc as too shit for us, I can't wait to see how many games it'll take for you to write off MGW as well...

not to mention they would want 60m plus given they paid 40 odd for him.